FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   First Class Lav for First Class Passengers. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1352544-first-class-lav-first-class-passengers.html)

DLmedalliongold Nov 24, 2004 9:19 pm

The use of the F bathroom by the Y passengers.

Maybe I'm preaching to the choir when I say that I feel if you're in Y, you should use the Y bathroom. Tonights first class cabin, EWR to SLC, was overrun by Y passengers not wanting to walk to the back of the plane. Our FA in first did her best to "shoo" the intruders from first, she even attached the rope in effort to keep them at bay.

After about 5 min somebody's kid came crashing through the rope like it was the rope at the finish line, and that action caused the rope to whip the man in 4B in the face as the boy flew by. The boy set a precedent for the rest of the flight, and our FA gave up trying to keep them out. We had people lining up around 4B & C wating for the bathroom, as our FA wouldn't let them wait in the forward galley. As I was seated in 4C, i became even more annoyed as people bumped into my seat as I was trying to eat dinner. So much for a quiet, exclusive first class cabin.

There are two issures at hand here. Issue #1, am I being too picky to not want those in Y camping out in the first class cabin and using the first class bathroom? Issue #2, how does Delta balance the needs of those in first class (by sending the intruders to the rear of the plane) without sounding snooty and pissing people off that are in coach? (I realize they need to be as nice to everyone as possible, as they need every customer they can get.)

Any remarks, ideas, discussion points?

theycallmebooth Nov 24, 2004 10:12 pm

#1 you are not being too picky

#2 the intruders need to be firmly told to use the lav in the back.

when i purchase a first class ticket i do not intrude on the people in coach. i do not hover over them while waiting to use their lav. i expect the same courtesy. i pay a lot more money for my first class ticket than what the coach folks have paid for theirs. come on, what is "first class" all about? what gives the people with coach tickets the right to use the first class cabin? sometimes for short fights i will purchase coach tickets. i will stay with my neighbors in coach. i do not feel i have the right to intrude on the first class passengers.

sse2k Nov 25, 2004 12:20 am

I do not feel you are being picky either. We either paid for or earned the priviledge of a more private space, and it should be enforced.

Remember, not too long ago, the airlines had curtains to enforce this situation.

Tonight, I too was in a similar situation on the CVG-PHX route. The flight was so loaded with kids, they were running up and down the aisle, and even to the F galley. I tripped over one while I was going up front.

DLmedalliongold, did your incident occur on a 738? Mine did, and I think it would tend to occur more on this aircraft than a 752, as there are lavs between F and Y

AIRcop Nov 25, 2004 5:40 am

I get annoyed too, but I am also annoyed at FC passengers who put their feet up on the bulkhead and dress like slobs.

However, when an extreme mother nature call happens and the rear lav is occupied, and Iam in coach, I would "head" for the front. :p

Maybe we should show our elite cards to get in? ^

Canarsie Nov 25, 2004 6:02 am

There is only one rule of which I know:

When I am sitting in the First Class cabin, everybody and their relatives from the coach cabin are allowed to use the lavatory located in the First Class cabin.

On the rare occasion that I am in the coach cabin and I need to use the lavatory in the First Class cabin (due to a cart blocking the aisle, for example, as I am usually sitting in the first or second row whenever I am in the coach cabin), I am denied access.

---------------------------

By the way, this topic really belongs in the TravelBuzz! forum for input from those FlyerTalk members who do not frequent the Delta forum, but I would like this thread to initially remain in the Delta forum to give FlyerTalk members who fly on Delta Air Lines aircraft a chance to weigh in on this topic.

SeaClay007 Nov 25, 2004 7:34 am

In General, I Agree

Generally speaking, I agree that the cabin you're in is where you go when you gotta go.

Exceptions for me are:

You're in Y, the back lavs are full and you're going to have a mid-air collision with your undergarments.

You're in F on a 752, the front lav is occupied and the mid lavs are not.

What really frosts me is when the pilots ring four bells at 10K feet, then wait another 20-30 min of smooth flying to turn off the fasten seat belt light and twenty people jump up to run for the loo. That's when the long lines seem to be the worst.

indufan Nov 25, 2004 8:08 am

Originally Posted by SeaClay007
That's when the long lines seem to be the worst.

After the movie?

ComAirKid Nov 25, 2004 8:26 am

This is one of the reasons I love the 757.

- Coach pax do not board through FC.
- Lavs in front and back of Coach
- FC Seats are good, IMO
- Love the looks of the plane. 767 looks like its pregnant sister

Curtain won't solve the problem. Perhaps a velvet rope, curtain, and a bouncer are needed?
:D

Flying_Duck Nov 25, 2004 10:11 am

On a couple of International (DL) flights the Cockpit pointedly announced 1) "according to TSA regs. paxes had to use the lav. in their cabin and 2) no more than 1 person could wait outside the door at a time.

A little "conair" like in the delivery and probably BS as it certainly is not said on all flights - but it worked like a charm!!

mikey1003 Nov 25, 2004 11:46 am

This is not a pro NW / anti DL post.. just info:

NW now announces that the forward lavs are for FC PAX and "AS A SECURITY MEASURE, WE DO NOT ALLOW COACH PAX TO USE THE FORWARD LAVS AND CONGREGATE IN THE FRONT OF THE CABIN"

Cholula Nov 25, 2004 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by mikey1003

NW now announces that the forward lavs are for FC PAX and "AS A SECURITY MEASURE, WE DO NOT ALLOW COACH PAX TO USE THE FORWARD LAVS AND CONGREGATE IN THE FRONT OF THE CABIN"

IMHO, this is a pro NW/anti DL post....:p

Robert Leach Nov 25, 2004 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Flying_Duck
On a couple of International (DL) flights the Cockpit pointedly announced 1) "according to TSA regs. paxes had to use the lav. in their cabin and 2) no more than 1 person could wait outside the door at a time.
[/i]

AA pilots are making the same announcements on all flights, at least twice per flight. They say use only the lav in your "ticketed cabin" and "no congregating" outside the restroom. They're pretty firm about it.

I think a large part of this problem is the layout of the cabin, with lavs only located at the extremes. If you're in the fifth row of coach, the F lav just seems so much closer that you'd be tempted to use it.

And in the post 9/11 world, I don't think the lav at the front of the F cabin next to the flight deck is very well located either. On AA, when the pilots need to use the lav the flight attendants block the aisle with the serving cart until the deed is done. It seems to me that a redesign with a lav in the cockpit, and then a pod of lavatories at the rear of the F cabin (say, two for F passengers and two for Y passengers), is in order. Not to mention, this would help further separate F and Y a bit.

mikey1003 Nov 25, 2004 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Cholula
IMHO, this is a pro NW/anti DL post....:p

If it wasn't for your wonderful hot sauce, gregarious personality, genuine helpful nature and philanthropic generosity (plus you have been d@mn kind to my son-in-law in the military)....I might have taken this as a personal attack and called in the Mods.....Oh, you are a Mod, never-mind :) :) :) :)

BTW, I do feel that the cabin lavs should remain open ONLY to that cabin.

Happy Thanksgiving

indufan Nov 25, 2004 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by ComAirKid

Curtain won't solve the problem. Perhaps a velvet rope, curtain, and a bouncer are needed?
:D

See Cholula acts as the bouncer on the flights he is on.

NYBanker Nov 25, 2004 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by mikey1003

Same on UA.

UA took this no-cross-cabin-lav-use concept one step further. Recently flying LAX-SYD, I was in F on a 744. I had a coworker in J, main level. We were chatting in the galley (not near the cockpit - heck, a floor away from the cockpit) and were told we couldn't chat there. So we went near my seat in F. (Everyone in F was awake by this point.) Again, told the J pax couldn't visit me in F. (Remember - he was invited by me, an F pax!). So, I asked if I could visit in J - again told no - no cross-cabin visits were allowed.

Nothing stopped the UA F/A's from chatting throughout the sleeping part of the flight right behind my seat 5J, tho.