Wiki Posts
Search

DL.com and BER/TXL

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2012, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
DL.com and BER/TXL

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere...

I'm trying to price out an itinerary from CMH to Berlin via AMS using the multicity search tool, but DL.dumb is living up to its name and wigging out whether I use BER (which I know won't be opening till 3/13 at least though DL.dumb doesn't appear to know that yet) or TXL.

Am I missing something obvious here? Any advice appreciated, including other ways to get to Berlin (e.g., fly to FRA and then LH or CDG (non non s'il vous plait) and then AF or something else).

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 4 MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by irfan23
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere...

I'm trying to price out an itinerary from CMH to Berlin via AMS using the multicity search tool, but DL.dumb is living up to its name and wigging out whether I use BER (which I know won't be opening till 3/13 at least though DL.dumb doesn't appear to know that yet) or TXL.

Am I missing something obvious here? Any advice appreciated, including other ways to get to Berlin (e.g., fly to FRA and then LH or CDG (non non s'il vous plait) and then AF or something else).

Cheers.
I was able to price to "BER" 6/25-6/27 from IND via AMS
Old May 24, 2012, 8:20 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
They are adjusting their system atm. the new flights are being loaded. A couple of days ago, BER still translated into the area code of Berlin and for TXL only CSA flights via PRG came up. Gradually the AFKLM connections are being phased in but a couple of flights do not translate yet because they will be discontinued.

The AFKLM systems are already switched to reflect for TXL instead of BER.
Old May 24, 2012, 11:47 pm

I'm trying to price JFK-BER/TXL and neither work today. Any idea when it will?
Old May 25, 2012, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
Originally Posted by c_d:18638435
They are adjusting their system atm. the new flights are being loaded. A couple of days ago, BER still translated into the area code of Berlin and for TXL only CSA flights via PRG came up. Gradually the AFKLM connections are being phased in but a couple of flights do not translate yet because they will be discontinued.

The AFKLM systems are already switched to reflect for TXL instead of BER.
Thanks.
Old May 25, 2012, 5:38 am
c_d

Over night, all of my 2012 trips to Berlin have been converted to reflect the change. However, they seems to have problems, since the flight duration, equipment, and times are not showing ("Unavailable"). Furthermore, all seat assigments and applied SWU's have been deleted, so check your tickets.
Old May 25, 2012, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
German Efficiency

This is one I chalk up to a major lapse in German Efficiency because of the Berlin Airport FUBAR. I would like to blame delta.dumb as the usual suspect but in this case, The Germans Did It.

Cheers
Old May 27, 2012, 10:53 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by c_d
Over night, all of my 2012 trips to Berlin have been converted to reflect the change.
I noticed the usual Saturday schedule changes, so I checked my July/Aug formerly BER trip, and the arrival and departure airports have indeed been changed back to TXL.

I had a phone call from DL this morning to notify me of the change. I don't know if this was just a DM thing or not - I forgot to ask. I told her that I knew about the delay opening the new airport, and that for me, TXL is MUCH better than BER, so I was happy!
Old May 27, 2012, 11:10 am
c_d

Originally Posted by davetravels
I noticed the usual Saturday schedule changes, so I checked my July/Aug formerly BER trip, and the arrival and departure airports have indeed been changed back to TXL. I had a phone call from DL this morning to notify me of the change. I don't know if this was just a DM thing or not - I forgot to ask.
No you just seem to be a more liked DM. The only courtesy this "best in class" company extended to me was to reissue all my tickets to AF and have them send me new reservations/tickets in a mail. I only seem to receive mails when they want to drop some BS to me such as two weeks ago when they called me telling me that because of a "weather related" incident in CVG, my flight from AMS to DTW is delayed.

Originally Posted by davetravels
I told her that I knew about the delay opening the new airport, and that for me, TXL is MUCH better than BER, so I was happy!
Good for you, bad for me. As an original from Berlin, I hate this old fart airport because it is unbearable for any serious business travel. BTW, did you also lose your seat assignments or has the agent shown some consideration and preserved those?
Old May 27, 2012, 11:13 am
c_d

Originally Posted by X3Skier
This is one I chalk up to a major lapse in German Efficiency because of the Berlin Airport FUBAR. I would like to blame delta.dumb as the usual suspect but in this case, The Germans Did It.

Cheers
Haha, it's Berlin, the city that promotes itself by stating "Poor but sexy". That poor applies to almost all public services, such as mass transportation and airports. The new opening date is now set to late spring 2013 because they "want to make sure" all works in official communication and they dread the winter, plus having not enough deicing machines, in rather unofficial statements.
Old May 27, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by c_d
Good for you, bad for me. As an original from Berlin, I hate this old fart airport because it is unbearable for any serious business travel. BTW, did you also lose your seat assignments or has the agent shown some consideration and preserved those?
Yes, I know it's bad for you, as you have stated in other posts that you live near BER. TXL is so simple for me staying near Nollendorfpl. I usually take the X9 bus from Zoo station, but if I sleep in, I hop in a taxi for 18 Euros. I can't imagine what a taxi would cost from the city to BER!!!

My ticket was booked on DL.com, but (unfortunately), my TATLs are on AF metal - YUL/CDG and CDG/JFK. My good seats seem to be intact. I'm hoping that AF will "SEE" the seats I have chosen when I check in!
Old May 27, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
I saw my BER flight change to TXL this past weekend. I've been calling the elite line every week to get an update on the progress of the transition as I will be in Europe for all of June and returning back to the USA in June through BER. The agent told me the switch to TXL and the times were most likely temporary and are quite likely to change. I ended up just changing my reservation to avoid BER/TXL all together.
Old May 27, 2012, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by KissFlyGoodbye
I ended up just changing my reservation to avoid BER/TXL all together.
Why? Just because the airport is on the other side of town?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.