Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seating/Upgrade mess on DL 975 yesterday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2012, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other

Was on a F ticket as a result of a bump on my MEM-LAX return trip on Sunday. First is pretty well filled up when GA comes aboard and tells the FA he needs to move 4 people from F back to Y. FA says "Good luck"...

I couldn't hear what the GA was telling people, but got the impression he had cleared the upgrade list too early and some paid F pax showed up unexpectedly. Most of the upgraded pax took it pretty much in stride except for 1D, a Plat wearing a cast on his left foot. He was irate and started to take it out on the FA, since the GA had already gone back up the jetway. The FA told him to take it up with the GA, so he started back up the jetway. He and GA show up a couple of minutes later and the GA is telling him to go to 12C. He finally heads aft, all the time sputtering "I'm a Platinum".

New F pax get settled and GA discovers there are still 2 empty seats in F, so he moves a Diamond up and then here comes foot-cast-boy. GA tells him to just sit in 3A, so finally he shut up.

Anyone know how this could have happened? Maybe the GA/s system was telling him those 4 F pax wouldn't make the connection, but they managed? It was a fairly ugly situation for a couple of minutes.

Last edited by dd992emo; May 21, 2012 at 9:25 am
Old May 21, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
From the new delta glitch culture thread:
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
From now on, I suggest everyone sit in the first open FC seat you see. If confronted, just tell the FA that it is a glitch on their side and it is your seat. Don't have a Crown Room/skyclub membership? Just walk in and say you have a membership, but it just must be a glitch. Get drunk and actafool? Glitch. I see a lot of glitches in my future.
Was TH on this flight with a missed upgrade?
Old May 21, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by dcline414
From the new delta glitch culture thread:

Was TH on this flight with a missed upgrade?
TH doesn't miss upgrades
Old May 21, 2012, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by mtkeller
TH doesn't miss upgrades
Word is bond....
Old May 21, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Possible equipement swap out but still, to the GA for clearing ahead of time if paid F were inbound.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For four seats, how many rows of FC were there on the aircraft that was used. It could have been a swap to a reconfigured A320 when the seat maps still showed the old version with 16 FC.

Sometimes DL cancels reservations and rebooks people that DL believes might miss the connection due to a delay. If they show up, especially with an F ticket or even an upgrade with instruments as an elite, the GA is likely to boot the last folks according to priority that were upgraded at the gate back to coach.

It's disgusting that cast boy's tantrum got him into the last FC seat. If there was a DM ultimately sitting in coach, I hope they complain. The GA could be in trouble for pandering to someone screaming that they're PM because it might be very obvious to anyone knowing the rules that the jerk should not have been next on the list. This is where the GA needs some backbone to follow the rules rather than making it easier by giving in to a demanding passenger. I'm not at all advocating retaliation by the GA, just follow the rules and give that last FC seat to the proper next person on the list.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's disgusting that cast boy's tantrum got him into the last FC seat.
The way I read this, the pax was upset to have been seated (sure, glad to be in FC) and then asked to move to coach. I have a friend who just broke his fibula, and I can tell you he doesn't like to move around at all unless he absolutely has to.

I am a bit surprised that the pax moved back to FC (unless in a Y middle/window seat where there wasn't enough room). Assuming they had a bulkhead Y seat, then lost it when upgraded, I would be upset about that too.

I'd direct the anger toward DL's screw up, not the reaction. If not for the upgrade processing error, no one would have room to complain here.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by mtkeller
TH doesn't miss upgrades
I love it
Old May 21, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
For four seats, how many rows of FC were there on the aircraft that was used. It could have been a swap to a reconfigured A320 when the seat maps still showed the old version with 16 FC.

Sometimes DL cancels reservations and rebooks people that DL believes might miss the connection due to a delay. If they show up, especially with an F ticket or even an upgrade with instruments as an elite, the GA is likely to boot the last folks according to priority that were upgraded at the gate back to coach.

It's disgusting that cast boy's tantrum got him into the last FC seat. If there was a DM ultimately sitting in coach, I hope they complain. The GA could be in trouble for pandering to someone screaming that they're PM because it might be very obvious to anyone knowing the rules that the jerk should not have been next on the list. This is where the GA needs some backbone to follow the rules rather than making it easier by giving in to a demanding passenger. I'm not at all advocating retaliation by the GA, just follow the rules and give that last FC seat to the proper next person on the list.
But there was still a GM standing at the gate waiting to see if F boarded full! He's now writing a complaint to DL b/c cast guy and others surrendered their spot on the UG list when they boarded.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:26 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by azeckel
But there was still a GM standing at the gate waiting to see if F boarded full! He's now writing a complaint to DL b/c cast guy and others surrendered their spot on the UG list when they boarded.
^
Old May 21, 2012, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by azeckel
Nah, GMs travel enough to know their place in the world (and that they'd never get the upgrade). GMs are just happy to find overhead space for their 2nd bad near their exit row seat in Y!

This sounds like FO behavior to me.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
something sounds strange
Old May 21, 2012, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other

It was a 737-800 with 4 rows in F, hence 16 F seats. I'm thinking your "might miss the connection" theory is what happened. Heck, I was just thankful my fare class was "F" instead of "V"...

To be fair to footcastboy, he could have been the next person on the UG list after the Diamond. I really don't know and the GA seemed very confused. FCB was a bit of a whiner, though...
Old May 21, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by dd992emo
Most of the upgraded pax took it pretty much in stride except for 1D, a Plat wearing a cast on his left foot. He was irate and started to take it out on the FA...
It wasn't me, though I am wearing a walking boot/cast on my left leg, besides would a GA remove a DM from the FC seat?
Old May 21, 2012, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
It wasn't me, though I am wearing a walking boot/cast on my left leg, besides would a GA remove a DM from the FC seat?
Not if the GA fears being hit with the cast--or his crutches.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.