Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Skymiles on AeroMexico Club Premier

Old May 18, 2012, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

After a month of fruitless searching for a normal trip (without a nite at the Baltimore airport) with United to Roatan our back up hope is OAX from ORD. There appears to be lots of flights at 24,000K. Before I call the knowledgeable Delta rep do they convert K to miles for redemption or does K=a mile? 24,000K should equel about 14,400 miles (I think). Also since AeroMexico does 1 way awards; will that be a problem for Delta to book? If you have done this please forgive my ignorance and walk me thru it. Thanks
Old May 18, 2012, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Using Delta miles, one books under Delta award rules (no 1/2 price one-ways) and Delta redemption prices.
Old May 18, 2012, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gregillinois
After a month of fruitless searching for a normal trip (without a nite at the Baltimore airport) with United to Roatan our back up hope is OAX from ORD. There appears to be lots of flights at 24,000K. Before I call the knowledgeable Delta rep do they convert K to miles for redemption or does K=a mile? 24,000K should equel about 14,400 miles (I think). Also since AeroMexico does 1 way awards; will that be a problem for Delta to book? If you have done this please forgive my ignorance and walk me thru it. Thanks
What do you mean by K in your post? Would these be points in some other frequent traveler program that you hope to convert into DL redeemable miles?
Old May 19, 2012, 8:19 am
Original Poster

The aeromexico Premier Plan uses kilometers

Looking up their miles plan (ord to oax) they quote 24,000 kilometers unless I did something wrong. What does that mean for the Delta price in miles? Also if they do not do one ways maybe we could do open jaw by flying to Oax and returning from Hux on coast. (though I did read that is quite a trip over the mountains). Thoughts?
Old May 19, 2012, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Burn Aeromexico miles under Club Premier rules. For SkyMiles members, the primary reasons for searching Club Premier are:

- to find AM rouitngs
- to find dates and flights with availability at Clasicos levels for which one should be able to redeem DL miles

Burn Delta miles under SkyMiles rules. US49-Mexico is 35K round-trip at Low coach (all AM segments will be Low or not available); 60K for Business. You should be able to arrange an open jaw or a stopover; maybe both.

Last edited by 3Cforme; May 19, 2012 at 8:31 am
Old May 19, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
open jaw is possible and it seems like it would be a good value if you can get the availability - as paid-for tickets will likely be more expensive

AM's award charts have no bearing on the price you would pay using delta miles though. they would help you determine whether 'low' flights are available for your travel dates - as you can only book those using DL miles...
Old May 19, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
AM space is searchable on delta.com

I just did this (sort of) yesterday.

Find out the routes that AM flies to your destination from the USA.

Use multi-city search on delta.com award search and feed it each segment (only the aeromexico segments ie XXX-MEX-XXX) and it will show what is available on AM.

You can piece together the itin. If you are not located at an airport where AM flies directly from MEX it will most likely be less miles to buy the segment(s) on DL up to the AM flight with cash. Though you may win the lottery and find low level space on DL.

Find the AM segments first then try to find the DL segments in low as a separate search.

All of this should be bookable online once you find the flights that all fall into the low space.

PM me if interested in paid help for award bookings.

Foo
Old May 19, 2012, 9:48 am
Original Poster

You people are good

Thanks for all the help and I may contact you if the need arises. I searched all the Delta q&a to no avail. This should not be such a mystery to newcomers to the wonderful world of Delta. We also found an old Pointsguy article which pointed us to the award chart amounts. Kind of funny that they price flights one way but you must go roundtrip. With my wife's permission I will try and book Monday. If there is a God next March we will see pyramids in OAX and later snorkeling in HUX.
Old May 21, 2012, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Utter failure (but the reps were nice)

After 4 reps and 4 differnt answers I give up.....I will detail later but I have spent 2 hours going nowhere fast. No economy March 2013 even though Club Premier shows lots of classico (economy) as available. Adios OAX
Old May 21, 2012, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta.com can find some itins by schedule but the availability it shows in early March seems a small subset of what is shown by Club Premier. I was able to construct a mixed coach down, business back trip for two - but there's an overnight in Mex. I certainly didn't check all dates.

You selected these flights:
Outbound Fri 01 Mar 2013 |2:55pm ORD to 7:15pm MEX | Nonstop | AeroMexico 687
2:55pm
ORD
7:15pm
MEX
Nonstop 4 h 20 m
Economy

Sat 02 Mar 2013 |1:25pm MEX to 2:25pm OAX | Nonstop | AeroMexico 2098
1:25pm
MEX
2:25pm
OAX
Nonstop 1 h 00 m
Economy

Operated by:
Aerolitoral Dba Aeromexico Connect

Return Tue 12 Mar 2013 |12:15pm OAX to 11:00pm ORD | 1-stop | AeroMexico 544 AeroMexico 682
12:15pm
OAX
11:00pm
ORD
1-stop 9 h 45 m
MEX4 h 45 m Layover
AeroMexico 544
AeroMexico 682
Business
Business

Miles required per passenger: 47,500
Total Miles required: 95,000

Ticket price per passenger including Taxes/Carrier-imposed Fees (USD): $ 75.18
Total purchase price including Taxes/Carrier-imposed Fees (USD) : $ 150.36

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.