Old May 10, 12, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Delta calls cops after pax uses VoIP

Story HERE.

No need to call the cops, DL...
Old May 10, 12, 5:38 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Wow, the jerk had the audacity to call out the police for being rude. The police were probably thinking how this man's selfishness was wasting their time. Gogo has limited bandwidth, but he is important enough to hog it all on his phone call. The other passengers don't want to hear his conversation, but he's important enough that his call trumps everyone else's comfort on the plane. (Obviously he was loud, or the FA wouldn't have even known.) Heck, he also knows that he is so important that he can tell the FAs what to do.

With that said, FAs need to learn that making up fake FAA rules only makes the situation worse. They have the authority to say, "Because I am in charge." If, instead, they make something up, passengers who know they are fibbing are less inclined to do as told and more inclined to argue back. Tell me you are in charge and you say to do it, I've got no response. Make up that the FAA has a rule, and I've got the truth to argue back.
Old May 10, 12, 5:39 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Really don't see any BFD here. Pax was upset because the FA told him it was an FAA rule, which was not true. Okay, so the FA was in error because it is an airline rule but that doesn't mean the FA was maliciously lying, only incorrect. Methinks this guy just wanted to push the envelope as far as possible to get some free publicity but DL could have handled this without LEO's.
Old May 10, 12, 5:45 am

Maybe the pax could become an honorary member of this thread....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...a-stories.html
Old May 10, 12, 6:21 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Sez_Who View Post
Maybe the pax could become an honorary member of this thread....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...a-stories.html
+1. What a tool!

He is just out to make a scene and get public attention....
Old May 10, 12, 6:35 am

Programs: DL PM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Tolerater, AA Hater
Great - now we will have people talking the whole flight, are cellphones next?

Oh well, getting some work done or sleep or reading a book on a flight was a nice luxury that will be going by the wayside just like edible meals. Ah memories.
Old May 10, 12, 6:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by florin View Post
Story HERE.

No need to call the cops, DL...
I disagree. Finally! Someone who thinks the rules don't apply to him is put in his place. Personally, I'd love to see more of that, especially with idiots and jerks who sneak using their cell phones while in flight.

Bravo to the FAs who called the cops on Marco!

A big to Marco. Whether he likes the rules or TOS or not, he must abide by them, just like the rest of us. He is certainly a candidate for the DYKWIA Hall of Shame.
Old May 10, 12, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Originally Posted by tonypct View Post
I disagree. Finally! Someone who thinks the rules don't apply to him is put in his place. Personally, I'd love to see more of that, especially with idiots and jerks who sneak using their cell phones while in flight.

A big to Marco. Whether he likes the rules or TOS or not, he must abide by them, just like the rest of us. He is certainly a candidate for the DYKWIA Hall of Shame.
This.

MO
Old May 10, 12, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
Wow, the jerk had the audacity to call out the police for being rude. The police were probably thinking how this man's selfishness was wasting their time. Gogo has limited bandwidth, but he is important enough to hog it all on his phone call. The other passengers don't want to hear his conversation, but he's important enough that his call trumps everyone else's comfort on the plane. (Obviously he was loud, or the FA wouldn't have even known.) Heck, he also knows that he is so important that he can tell the FAs what to do.

With that said, FAs need to learn that making up fake FAA rules only makes the situation worse. They have the authority to say, "Because I am in charge." If, instead, they make something up, passengers who know they are fibbing are less inclined to do as told and more inclined to argue back. Tell me you are in charge and you say to do it, I've got no response. Make up that the FAA has a rule, and I've got the truth to argue back.
+1
Old May 10, 12, 7:09 am

Great post

I can't believe some posters actually seem to think "well they should just fuss at him and there should not be consequences for his actions" REALLY? Sounds like other wanna be members of the DYKWIA Hall of Shame to me. (In other words I am going to do what I want and Delta should KNOW how special I am and just )
Old May 10, 12, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
I disagree. Finally! Someone who thinks the rules don't apply to him is put in his place.
That assumes that it is an actual rule and not a made up one.

The FA lied about it being an FAA rule. Nowhere does it say that he continued the VoIP conversation AFTER he was told to stop. Still... WHY CALL THE COPS?!
Old May 10, 12, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
The guy is a idiot and a tool.

He deserves to be slapped.
Old May 10, 12, 7:54 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
A few years ago, I was on CO in F, and the FA told me that it was an FAA regulation that I can't go to the lav in socks. I had to have my shoes on! Where do they get this stuff from? Not to mention that overseas J flights actually give you socks to wear!

My situation is slightly different than the above story, of course, because VoIP is against company policy, and you hafto always obey a FA, pretty much no matter how crazy the request is . . . . . That said, could the CO FA in my story have had me arrested for disobeying her if she wanted to? And why would she really care if I wear shoes to the lav - yeah I know - it can be nasty. I don't go in if it looks bad.
Old May 10, 12, 7:57 am

Programs: DL GM; HH gold
This story is missing a lot of detail to really assess what happened. Regardless, making a call in flight vs on Tarmac certainly leaves something to be desired in terms of manners, IMO. That said, if it is a problem, why is VoIP not blocked? This should be pretty easy, wireless carriers did for a while, blocking it on their data service.
Old May 10, 12, 8:16 am

Part of me agrees with you, but the reason I wish DL didn't call in the LEO's is this just gives more publicity to this d-bag. If the matter was dropped onboard, all this pax could complain about is the FA 'lying' to him, hardly much of a sin since it was probably nothing more than a harmless mistake on the part of the FA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: