FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DL 5440 Atlanta to Baton Rouge - computer theft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1344646-dl-5440-atlanta-baton-rouge-computer-theft.html)

woodphantom May 9, 2012 9:04 pm

DL 5440 Atlanta to Baton Rouge - computer theft

My wife flew own DL5440 today, a CRJ. Her briefcase was too big to fit under the seat so they had her gate check it. Nothing unusual there until she got to Baton Rouge an her Apple computer was gone...It's pretty bad when a company tells you to do something and then the customer's equipment is stolen. She is obviously upset and the baggage agent response is that it is not Delta's fault. The baggage agents response was to have her file a police report and file a claim with our insurance.

Anybody else had this happen and what was your outcome?

view-with-a-room May 9, 2012 9:08 pm

Perhaps the laptop was left in security. Quite a few laptops left in security so better to explore other options first. And yes do file a police report and file an insurance claim, if you so desire.

woodphantom May 9, 2012 9:15 pm

No way was it left at security since this was a connection.

MR_MAMA May 9, 2012 9:20 pm

Maybe she left it on the first plane or at security at the first airport maybe in the club?

Also, when she did check her bag, she should have taken her laptop out of the bag and flwn with it. A) so it would not get damaged B) so it would not get stolen

Sorry your wife is missing her computer, but I would never allow a company computer with company information to fly without me. Delta does not cover computers in baggage claims.

xSTRIKEx6864 May 9, 2012 9:44 pm

Other than the obvious "don't check laptops" comments, what you probably need to do is file an insurance claim and let the insurance company go after Delta if the insurance company wants to recover the cost from Delta.

Thomas Hudson May 9, 2012 9:47 pm

I never get the feeling Delta looks into thefts on planes or in baggage. If they do, it is certainly not communicated to the customer and it leaves one to feel that they do not give a crap, which makes it an easy environment to continue....

N830MH May 9, 2012 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson (Post 18546815)
I never get the feeling Delta looks into thefts on planes or in baggage. If they do, it is certainly not communicated to the customer and it leaves one to feel that they do not give a crap, which makes it an easy environment to continue....

Better off report to the police immediately. You are responsible for that. You cannot put your laptop into checked bag. they will steal it. It's not safe for you. You should kept your laptop along with you. You cannot checked the laptop into the carryon bag. You should have take with your laptop onboard the aircraft. Don't try to take your laptop into the carryon bag or briefcase. You have take it out the laptop before boarding the aircraft.

Burj May 9, 2012 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson (Post 18546815)

I don't have time to dig it up but I read an article a few months about how common theft from luggage is at some airports. What caught my eye in the article is that most airlines do NOT actively investigate luggage theft because they don't want the bad press or to undermine pax trust in checking baggage...

rwoman May 10, 2012 3:20 am

Another reason to lock baggage...not 100% protection against theft, but one extra step a thief would have to take. Even with my carry on (roller or back pack), I often lock the compartment where my laptop/electronics are...even if just to be a PITA to a potential thief.

OHDL1 May 10, 2012 4:59 am

Was her briefcase that heavy that she wouldn't have noticed it being lighter when it was handed back to her at Baton Rouge?

DMPM May 10, 2012 5:45 am

I don't know if Delta has a ramp at BTR. I am assuming it is a contract company. If you truly feel the ramp agents took the computer, you need to file a police report asap. All airports have camera's on the outside of the terminal. There is a chance Baton Rouge may have a camera on that gate your wife left from. In this case, there would be more than 1 employee involved. Delta takes theft very serious but you must file police report. The police can launch an investigation into this situation. I would also encourage you to ensure that this is exactly what happen before filing the police report. Good luck!

Orange County Commuter May 10, 2012 9:25 am

I have had to do this since one of my computer bags is too big to fit... I have to admit I don't always take the laptop out, but I do check as soon as I land (not sure what good that's going to do, but...)

Wish I had a better response, but I am afraid that Delta is going to hide behind that 'liablity' clause.

Guess I will start taking mine out from now on.

MissJ May 10, 2012 9:55 am

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter (Post 18549350)

Guess I will start taking mine out from now on.

Always have and always will. I've flown many times with my loose laptop and camera in hand. No way in hell am I handing over those items to a ramp worker.

DL2SXM May 10, 2012 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Burj (Post 18546919)
I don't have time to dig it up but I read an article a few months about how common theft from luggage is at some airports. What caught my eye in the article is that most airlines do NOT actively investigate luggage theft because they don't want the bad press or to undermine pax trust in checking baggage...

And also how common it is for people to leave laptops at security check points.

maybe she left it at security

http://www.darkreading.com/insider-t...past-year.html

andymo99 May 10, 2012 10:36 am

I would (much) sooner skip the flight than allow my computer to travel unattended. Simply not an option.