Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Different Airlines, Different Origination Points, Different Status Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Different Airlines, Different Origination Points, Different Status Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Wink Different Airlines, Different Origination Points, Different Status Questions

I am traveling with my Mother to CPH for a cruise in July. My Mom is originating from MCO and I am originating from PIT. I was able to score low-level J awards from BOS for each of us on AF (shocking, I know). So, because I wanted us on the same PNR for overseas travel, I booked the TATL travel by itself, and am now going to figure out the logistics to get us each to/from BOS. I have a couple of questions related to this, that I know I have read some sort of answers to before, but I can’t seem to find them currently.

1) Assuming the domestic travel to BOS is in Y, will they be willing to check bags through for the TATL trip at our originating airports (same-day travel), or will we need to claim bags at BOS and then recheck through AF?
2) My mom has no status. Will they waive the bag fee at MCO for her if she shows her J TATL confirmation (issued with a 006 ticket number)?
3) Will doing/asking any of these questions at check-in raise any red flags (did we violate some difficult-to-understand COC terms by not adding the domestic portions of our trip to the TATL portions)?
4) Upon return to BOS, I am going to accompany my Mom back to MCO to visit for a week. I will probably pay for the return trip from MCO to PIT and use my remaining SkyPesos for an open-jaw PIT-BOS before we go to CPH, and then for the trip from BOS-PIT after we get back from Europe. My Mom’s BOS-MCO r/t will be booked with miles. Thus outside of the TATL trip, the two of us will only be on the same flights for BOS-MCO. All the domestic travel will likely be in Y, so is there any way that I can get access to premium seats for the BOS-MCO trip for my Mom, even though we will be on separate PNRs for that portion of the travel?

Any help would be appreciated.

PS: for the 3 or 4 FTers who have previously enjoyed my humorous musings, I apologize for being absent from the boards lately. It was good to read through a couple of days’ worth of threads before posting this and realize I didn’t miss a thing!!
Old May 3, 2012, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
1. If flying DL to BOS, just show them a copy of your AF itinerary and they should check your bags through.

2. She can try, but will probably have to pay since its a separate itinerary.
3. It is fine to have a booking like this.
4. If you're on the same flight, you should be able to get seats together - just call an agent with both PNRs.

Old May 4, 2012, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Thanks for the information.
Old May 5, 2012, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by houserulz77
Thanks for the information.
Have a good trip!!
Old May 5, 2012, 5:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can try to add the BOS-MCO flights for you and mom to the award ticket for no more miles if the right coach or FC inventory is available, but you would pay 2 X $150 change fees as GMs. You could also try to book a MCO-BOS RT award ticket for mother, but check regular prices first; as this would be somewhat of a leisure route, advanced purchase prices could be very reasonable so that this probably isn't a good use of SMs. For your travel, be aware that DL charges as many miles one way as for RT award tickets so that again using miles is likely to be wasteful and not at all a good value for your trips PIT-BOS, BOS-MCO, and MCO-PIT; given the geography, it's unlikely that you can somehow do this with a stopover or open jaw, although other experts here might have a cleaver idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.