Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why are DL flights out of Haneda so EMPTY?

Old Apr 29, 12, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

I was making an online reservation on Delta's website. I was looking at the return flights out of Narita for the next couple of weeks. Most flights were fully with only a few middle seats remaining. then I noticed the 6AM DL flight out of Haneda was nearly empty. On the seat map, only 29 seats on this A330 have been pre-selected. The rest are all open, two weeks from the flight date.

Do people not like this flight or something? My hotel in Tokyo is only 10 minutes away from Haneda, so I ended up changing my reservation to the Haneda flight.... Has this flight always been so empty in the past? Will I really be on an nearly-empty coach cabin or will hundreds of other passengers suddenly show up?
Old Apr 29, 12, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
There may be three things going on
1) No advanced seat assignments for people booking through travel agencies, etc
2) Flight times might not be particularly convenient
3) Not a whole lot of HND traffic - as NRT would be the likely connection choice

Wit that, my run to HND was a pleasant surprise due to cabin loads. I had sets of three seats both ways, bulkhead (unfortunately, could not lay across) and a regular EC row - and I slept all the way. It was a great, great flight

if you can get yourself on a row of four in the middle, you're golden!
Old Apr 29, 12, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
I assume you're talking about the HND-DTW flight. This flight has just resumed for the summer (seasonal). In general, HND is a much more convenient airport, unless you're connecting through NRT and onto mainland Asia.
Old Apr 29, 12, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goodandclassy View Post
There may be three things going on
1) No advanced seat assignments for people booking through travel agencies, etc
2) Flight times might not be particularly convenient
3) Not a whole lot of HND traffic - as NRT would be the likely connection choice

Wit that, my run to HND was a pleasant surprise due to cabin loads. I had sets of three seats both ways, bulkhead (unfortunately, could not lay across) and a regular EC row - and I slept all the way. It was a great, great flight

if you can get yourself on a row of four in the middle, you're golden!
when I was looking at the seat map for my flight earlier, I saw at least 10 to 15 rows of 4 completely empty... so I assume my chances are pretty decent.

I normally hate early morning flights... but this doesn't seem so bad... I just have to leave the hotel around 4AM? (since I will only be in Tokyo for 2 days, that's 1PM for my internal clock )
Old Apr 29, 12, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, AMEX Plat
My flights last summer were full. I was out of LAX and back to DTW. I even got the opup on the outbound, and the return was full, even on the 777. I wonder if it's a seasonal thing.

The 6am departure is a pain, but it does get you into DTW early enough to make it anywhere in the US in the morning. I went to work in Atlanta that morning.
Old Apr 29, 12, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL SkClub LT, AA Gold, SPG Plat/LT Gold, IHG Plat, HH Diam, AS MVP
Originally Posted by benrules View Post
I went to work in Atlanta that morning.
Old Apr 29, 12, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by hockeystl View Post
I'm fortunate enough to not suffer from jet lag.
Old Apr 29, 12, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by benrules View Post
My flights last summer were full. I was out of LAX and back to DTW. I even got the opup on the outbound, and the return was full, even on the 777. I wonder if it's a seasonal thing.

The 6am departure is a pain, but it does get you into DTW early enough to make it anywhere in the US in the morning. I went to work in Atlanta that morning.
I had the same experience last summer. My HND-DTW flight was oversold, and they were asking for VDBs with a rebooked flight from NRT. I was booked into J (and they were flying 777s from HND at that time, whilst the other flight would have been on a 747 without lie-flats), and declined. Apparently things have changed since then.
Old Apr 29, 12, 9:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by dEagleS View Post
In general, HND is a much more convenient airport, unless you're connecting through NRT and onto mainland Asia.
In my experience, and I am usually connecting from elsewhere in Asia or to somewhere else in Asia, HND is less convenient. I made the mistake once of a flight that arrived ATL-NRT and had an outbound connecting flight from HND that required me to take the shuttle between the two airports. Massive pain in the backside. If you're on DL metal, it seems so much easier to consolidate connections through NRT which, I'm speculating here, is why some of the HND route maps look fairly empty...or since the flight has just resumed for the season, as noted, perhaps the flights just haven't booked up yet!
Old Apr 29, 12, 9:32 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
The times suck and there's few onward/inbound connection possibilities upon arrival/departure. Public transportation is said to be inconvenient at these times in Haneda too.

I wish DL and AA would 1) dump HND and 2) focus more on other Asian countries, AA in particular.
Old Apr 29, 12, 9:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
The times suck and there's few onward/inbound connection possibilities upon arrival/departure. Public transportation is said to be inconvenient at these times in Haneda too.

I wish DL and AA would 1) dump HND and 2) focus more on other Asian countries, AA in particular.
I am curious as to what Asian destinations you would like DL to focus on? Thanks to the merger with NW, DL has a pretty tight grip on high capacity markets from the US, and what isn't covered out of the US, the NRT destination has it covered.

I agree with those who talk about the time of arrival into HND, could be better, but it allows for the direct flight into downtown Tokyo as opposed to the flight into NRT and the hour train ride into the city.

And with AA, I couldn't agree with you more. Their Asian presence is predicated on the service and availability of JAL and CX flights.
Old Apr 29, 12, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post

It would depend on your situation. If you are connecting and do not need to spend time in Tokyo, NRT is certainly a better option. Otherwise, HND is an excellent airport. It is modern, efficient, and conveniently located. Flight times are not bad at all (for me at least). You can still get there in time for the 6:55 am DTW departure using the Monorail (first train gets in at about 5:15, I think). Taxi is not outrageous either if it comes to that.

Have no experience with AA (don't think they fly to HND anyway, do they?)
Old Apr 29, 12, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
There's also the consideration that DTW is a bad choice for HND...
Old Apr 30, 12, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1. It's not the regular BE service. You get supper with only two choices of main course, not the multi course BE dinner.

2. Arrival at LAX means the bus to TBIT.
Old Apr 30, 12, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
1. It's not the regular BE service. You get supper with only two choices of main course, not the multi course BE dinner.

Does that apply to the DTW-HND-DTW flight as well? I imagine the HND-DTW only gets breakfast and lunch since it leaves HND at 6:55AM. (which means I'll have to leave my hotel at 4AM without breakfast, not sure if the hotel has 24-hour room service) Probably not too late for me to change flight right now... since I booked a full fare Y ticket. (not paid by me)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: