Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

FA pours a tea for pilot in flight and pours what appears to be rum while in flight.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA pours a tea for pilot in flight and pours what appears to be rum while in flight.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL DM
What about honey? I've never asked for it so I have no idea if DL carries it, but it could be a small bottle of honey which can definitely be mistaken for rum. My mom drinks tea with honey, so I think it might be somewhat popular.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:24 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

There is no way a pilot or any crew member would imbibe alcohol on a flight. The FAA standards are very strict. If a crew member even suspects that another crew member has been drinking, that crew member is obligated by FAA regulations to report the incident. With 2 in the cockpit, the scenario of a pilot drinking rum-laced tea is a complete fantasy.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
And I thought it was bad watching a FA take a swig from a large bottle of Evian in the galley. I can't say that it was used to serve water to BE psgrs later, but I wasn't taking any chances. The bottles that she swigged from and were used to pour for psgrs came from the same corner of the galley. Ewwww. All this while I was watching the movie "Contagion".
Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
I was able to partially see...
then takes what closely resembles...
I'm pretty sure I know...
Sure, I wasn't close enough to read...
Enough exculpatory language here to make me think this need not have been started as a thread...

YMMV.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
I wasn't born yesterday. close, but not yesterday. I'm sure the FA thought no one had a visible on her. Besides, this was right after 10,000 feet and no one had gotten up yet.

Personally, if the pilot wasn't feeling to well and ONE small bottle of rum dumped in a tea, that wouldn't bother me. Heck, if it made him feel better then I would be perfectly fine with it.

And, just as pilots 'intentionally' disable restrooms in BE, this actually could've happened. However, as I stated in my OP, I couldnt read the writing on the bottle.
If the pilot didn't feel well he probably took something for it and most of those medications are dangerous to mix with alcohol or with operating heavy equipment. In this scenario I'd be even more upset, not less.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Unless you are very, very certain it was rum, you need to let this one go. The accusation alone could cause the entire crew significant issues. I know, most people here would not want career threatening calls made to their superiors or whatever based on what they think they may have seen. I am sure the OP knows that deep down....
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Unless you are very, very certain it was rum, you need to let this one go. The accusation alone could cause the entire crew significant issues. I know, most people here would not want career threatening calls made to their superiors or whatever based on what they think they may have seen. I am sure the OP knows that deep down....
TH, you are the voice of reason on this one. Well said.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:41 pm

I could see someone having a nip during flight. DL has a large enough labor force that there's bound to be some high functioning alcoholics. But the FA in cahoots doesn't pass the sniff test. Almost certainly something not booze.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: DAL-PM
Pilots do not "take a nip" during flight. I have been in this industry for 20 years and have never seen of it nor heard of it. Please let this go before you ruin the career of the pilot that got you safely from Point A to Point B. Thank you.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I wasn't born yesterday. close, but not yesterday. I'm sure the FA thought no one had a visible on her. Besides, this was right after 10,000 feet and no one had gotten up yet.

Personally, if the pilot wasn't feeling to well and ONE small bottle of rum dumped in a tea, that wouldn't bother me. Heck, if it made him feel better then I would be perfectly fine with it.

And, just as pilots 'intentionally' disable restrooms in BE, this actually could've happened. However, as I stated in my OP, I couldnt read the writing on the bottle.
You didn't answer the question, since you did see her, why did you not ask her what it was? She could have shown you the bottle of what it was, instead you post accusations here. This is such a serious matter, I would have gotten up and asked, I would feel I owed it to everyone on the plane to do so. To post it here for Delta to see is a bit counterproductive if you were not sure. DL knows who you are since they pick you up in Porsche so not too difficult to figure out what flight this was.

Unless you were sure, you never should have posted, because whether you report it to DL or not, they monitor this board and are going to read it.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I think I might have maybe seen something. This is a very serious thing when you are talking about a pilot and drinking while flying and aircraft. I would think you better know something before starting a thread. I can tell an adult beverage bottle from row 32 my friend so it should not be that difficult to say it was or was not alcohol.

I find it hard to believe that a pilot would have an FA mix their drink. Just doesnt add up to me.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
FA serving booze to the flight deck? Too late to ever know for sure now but I seriously doubt that happened. If I witnessed what you described, 'better believe I'd politely, genuinely but lightheartedly ask the FA what was going on.

Apparently, you now believe it enough to start a thread so why didn't you say something when there was actual evidence of what was going down?

Raising a serious allegation like this in a public forum leaves me a shiver? This thread should probably just go away...
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by realjd
Are people flying in the cockpit jumpseat allowed alcohol?
Absolutely not, regardless of whether the person is wearing a uniform or not.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: Delta -DM"working on KM" Hhonors-Gold Priorityclub- Plat
Maybe it was Captain Morgan in the cockpit?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would assume not, especially if in uniform.
Even a pilot from another airline deadheading home after their shift?

Originally Posted by Panam Clipper
Absolutely not, regardless of whether the person is wearing a uniform or not.
Well that answers that then. I agree with the other posters. I have a hard time believing that a pilot would imbibe in flight, that the copilot would agree with it, and that a FA would provide the booze. It had to have been something else poured into that tea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.