Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHX Sky Club

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
PHX Sky Club

I was two hours early for a flight out of PHX last Saturday and expected to spend time at the Sky lounge. I was informed that the only club lounge at this airport is BA First Class. All other airlines have closed because the airport needed the space. This came from a Delta Redcoat. On my way back to my gate I passed by what was the former Sky Lounge and there was a message from the health department that this facility could not be re-opened until cleared from this department. This space obviously is not being used. Am I missing something--did the airport indeed take over all lounges or was this specific lounge closed for health reasons?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The PHX club has been closed for very nearly four years. It was part of a closure of nine clubs in a single day so airport-demand or Health Department issues can reasonably be dismissed

Delta's list of its own and partner clubs may not be perfect but you can find it here.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...ions/index.jsp
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Thank you very much for your reply--much appreciated. Best of luck.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
PHX is the western hub for US. I find it hard to believe that US has closed their lounges there.

EDIT: This fact may actually be of some help, depending on how you get into the SCs. If you're an AMEX Platinum holder, you can access the US clubs even if you're flying another airline.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Not only did US not close any clubs at PHX, they currently have three, all of which have been refurbished in the last decade. Furthermore, United has a Club in their terminal that they've had for quite some time.

Every few months people start asking when DL plans to reopen this club (along with LAS and DEN and MCI). Sadly, I don't think it's going to happen. The PHX CRC certainly wasn't the best, but it beat the gate. At least there is free Wifi at PHX.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Not only did US not close any clubs at PHX, they currently have three, all of which have been refurbished in the last decade. Furthermore, United has a Club in their terminal that they've had for quite some time.

Every few months people start asking when DL plans to reopen this club (along with LAS and DEN and MCI). Sadly, I don't think it's going to happen. The PHX CRC certainly wasn't the best, but it beat the gate. At least there is free Wifi at PHX.
I don't know about LAS and DEN, but if the MCI club ever re-opens, I will eat my shoe.

(Anyone else see that AA closed their club at MCI last week?)
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by AUDirt

EDIT: This fact may actually be of some help, depending on how you get into the SCs. If you're an AMEX Platinum holder, you can access the US clubs even if you're flying another airline.
Really? The last time I tried to get into a US club, I was told that they did not honor the AMEX Platinum card as a means of entry. It was either at LAX or PHX, I don't remember which.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by 18sas
Really? The last time I tried to get into a US club, I was told that they did not honor the AMEX Platinum card as a means of entry. It was either at LAX or PHX, I don't remember which.
Depending on when you went, that's currently an untrue statement. Actually, US has an agreement such that you can enter any US club with an AMEX Platinum, even without a US BP.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by ssk1127
Depending on when you went, that's currently an untrue statement. Actually, US has an agreement such that you can enter any US club with an AMEX Platinum, even without a US BP.
IIRC, there is an exception to that rule. Again, if I remember correctly, you have to be flying US to use the US Clubs in CLT. All the other clubs like PHL and PHX are supposed to be open to anyone with an AMEX Platinum card, regardless of which airline you're flying.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:07 pm
Original Member

Its funny - I flew JFK-PHX last week on DL and when leaving PHX I was looking for the club. I usually fly AA (which is in the other pier in Terminal 3) and while in the common area between the piers on the last AA trip, I looked at the terminal map and it showed a SkyClub - hence my reason for looking.

The issue in PHX is that US is in Terminal 4 and Delta in Terminal 3 - so no chance of using AMEX Plat to get into US if flying DL in PHX.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:10 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Interesting how they decide on SkyClub locations: Phoenix has a lot more Delta passengers than New Orleans any day, and New Orleans has a functioning SkyClub while Phoenix does not. Go figure. I once dropped Delta a note asking whether there were plans to re-open the SkyClub in Phoenix, and the answer was evasive. So, that probably means no.

By the way, the Crown Room was closed before the merger with Northwest, but since the merger the number of Delta passengers probably has close to doubled. It would be good if Delta considered current passenger numbers in determining which places should have a SkyClub.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The locations of airline lounges are strategic decisions for the carriers. It's not just a matter of opening lounges in stations where the carrier has the most passengers. The question should be based on the (especially high value) customers that a lounge can draw to the carrier versus the (especially high value or expensive fare) customers that will go to other carriers if DL does not provide a lounge to be used. As a result, business destinations are much more likely to have lounges than leisure destinations for wide ranges of passenger numbers.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I sent an email to the PHX airport authority at least a year ago, informing them that the Delta Club icon needed to be removed from signs pre-security.

I also used my AMEX Platinum card to enter a US Club in CLT without having to provide a US boarding pass earlier this month. Like all of the times before, it was not an issue.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Anything New with PHX?

PHX must be one of the largest stations without a SC. The schedule goes from 0600 until after midnight, with several redeye departures. The old Crown Room space is still sitting there unused. I asked a GA if there was anything in the works, and he said the old space was too small.

The lack of a SC in PHX is a glaring omission! Delta needs to fix it.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 12:15 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by RobertS975
The schedule goes from 0600 until after midnight, with several redeye departures.
Yep! My redeye flight to MSP leaves PHX tonight at 1:59am!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.