Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyMiles Awards to Asia, 1-way

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

SkyMiles Awards to Asia, 1-way

Why is it that trying to find a flight from JFK to HKG shows as 120,000 SkyMiles for a round-trip, but then a one-way is also 120,000 SkyMiles? The Delta Awards chart says that one way economy should be: 35,000 / 60,000 / 80,000. (http://dmn.delta.com/skymiles/direct/charts/us49/)
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, UA 1K, SPG Gold
Delta prices one-way awards the same as roundtrips on its own metal. The values they give in their chart is based off roundtrip travel. Personally I think that's a little dishonest, if just not entirely truthful.

If you want one-way awards using Skymiles, redeem on a Skyteam/Delta partner
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's not a good use of miles, but if you really need a one-way award ticket, try to find a random TPAC return on any date with low availability. You might pay more taxes than for a one way, but it should then price at 95,000 for medium and low.

I don't think there are genuine one way partner awards using DL miles, although if you find a partner award ticket, it must be at low.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by anotherTCKid
Delta prices one-way awards the same as roundtrips on its own metal. The values they give in their chart is based off roundtrip travel. Personally I think that's a little dishonest, if just not entirely truthful.

If you want one-way awards using Skymiles, redeem on a Skyteam/Delta partner
You've got it half right, but the metal involved doesn't matter. You can't get a one-way at less than round trip pricing even if there's not a DL flight involved anywhere, so redeeming on partners doesn't help one iota.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: IHG-Spire, DL-Gold, MR-Platinum, HH-Gold, SPG-Gold, Hyatt-Diamond, BA-Silver
So basically the ONLY and best option to redeem skymiles on a One-Away J TPAC/ TATL would be to book a round trip with the required one way in J and fake return in Y on a low-available date so it prices it at 100K?

Is there any other option?

PS: Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I had the same question as OP.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by charms81
So basically the ONLY and best option to redeem skymiles on a One-Away J TPAC/ TATL would be to book a round trip with the required one way in J and fake return in Y on a low-available date so it prices it at 100K?

Is there any other option?

PS: Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I had the same question as OP.
If you can find low award space, this should work but it won't be 100K miles. TPAC would be 60,000 + 35,000 = 95,000 miles for this. TATL with low in both directions would be less as TATL low BE in both directions is 100K. You probably need to call DL to book this.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: IHG-Spire, DL-Gold, MR-Platinum, HH-Gold, SPG-Gold, Hyatt-Diamond, BA-Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you can find low award space, this should work but it won't be 100K miles. TPAC would be 60,000 + 35,000 = 95,000 miles for this. TATL with low in both directions would be less as TATL low BE in both directions is 100K. You probably need to call DL to book this.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I just priced out the ticket at it comes at 95K. I wanted to confirm that doing so is my only and best option. I want to fly BE on the one way and a rev ticket is too expensive at this time so I'm leaning towards redeeming skymiles.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:52 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I just priced out the ticket at it comes at 95K. I wanted to confirm that doing so is my only and best option. I want to fly BE on the one way and a rev ticket is too expensive at this time so I'm leaning towards redeeming skymiles.
Be sure to look at taxes and fees on the ticket; these should not be charged times two on a one way redemption. You might face a situation where the 120K one way in BE costs far less in money, so then it's a matter of what the miles saved are worth to you. To make you feel better, RT TPAC in BE with medium both ways costs 220K miles and it can be hard to find better than medium level availability.

You should also consider the specific route (nonstop longer flights are nicer IMO) and especially aircraft type for the best experience.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 5:24 pm

Be sure to look at taxes and fees on the ticket; these should not be charged times two on a one way redemption. You might face a situation where the 120K one way in BE costs far less in money, so then it's a matter of what the miles saved are worth to you. To make you feel better, RT TPAC in BE with medium both ways costs 220K miles and it can be hard to find better than medium level availability.

You should also consider the specific route (nonstop longer flights are nicer IMO) and especially aircraft type for the best experience.
I priced a one way BE TATL on AF/DL and a return trip with one way BE and return on Y. The tax difference is $46.7 and mileage savings is 20K. So 20K miles <> 46.7, I value SM much higher than that. Btw all these award inventory are in Low for the dates I need.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
That's the way to do it - a low coach return any day within the 365 days-from -booking ticket validity would minimize award pricing.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: Not care as much as before...
you probably "exchange" with some FTer 's AA miles
AA miles could be used for CX's one way, which is fantastic!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by ssoonngg123
you probably "exchange" with some FTer 's AA miles
AA miles could be used for CX's one way, which is fantastic!
No, charms81 can't do this through CC because only seven posts so far on FT.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
I was actually looking at this from another angle today as part of a rtw itinerary. I found an ATL-MNL, WAW-ATL for 65k plus $87 in taxes, albeit in coach. Finding that after just a few minutes searching leads me to believe there are many many more combinations possible.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:28 pm

Can you really ticket this? Isn't the open jaw longer in distance than either leg?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:48 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by The Juiceman
I was actually looking at this from another angle today as part of a rtw itinerary. I found an ATL-MNL, WAW-ATL for 65k plus $87 in taxes, albeit in coach. Finding that after just a few minutes searching leads me to believe there are many many more combinations possible.
Can you really ticket this? Isn't the open jaw longer in distance than either leg?
I believe that ATL - MNL (8000+) is greater in distance than MNL - WAW (6000+)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.