Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta into (and out of?) refinery business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta into (and out of?) refinery business

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
And a horribly useless thread title. Please fix it.

-RM
"Delta Intends to Rectify it Gas situation"?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
[QUOTE=mother-;18330188]Talk about your vertical integration...[/QUOTE

So, what's next? DL buying up peanut farms & Biscoff factories?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
"Delta Intends to Rectify it Gas situation"?
How about "Delta will process it's own gas from now on."
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by tonypct
How about "Delta will process it's own gas from now on."
"Delta, unsatisfied that air travel has become a commoditized business, deftly tries its hand at refining petroleum"
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Ask someone in an integrated oil company (i.e., with exploration, production, and refining) and you will likely hear that refining is the necessary financial evil. The economics are not there right now. That is why so many refineries are for sale
Not only is Trainer for sale by ConocoPhillips, they are spinning off the entire downstream (Refining/Marketing/Transportation) sector as Phillips 66 in about 1 month.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by Frozentech
Not only is Trainer for sale by ConocoPhillips, they are spinning off the entire downstream (Refining/Marketing/Transportation) sector as Phillips 66 in about 1 month.
As my rich uncle Luscious Jackson Hudson told me, "Cats who play with a dog's toys always get bit"
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
[QUOTE=johnslloyd;18334110]
Originally Posted by mother-
Talk about your vertical integration...[/QUOTE

So, what's next? DL buying up peanut farms & Biscoff factories?
Well they don't need the Biscoff factories anymore...you can still find the on the plane, but not frequently.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
[QUOTE=OnTheSlopes;18334791]
Originally Posted by johnslloyd

Well they don't need the Biscoff factories anymore...you can still find the on the plane, but not frequently.
Maybe they can also buy the cookie factory from Frontier.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
This makes no sense. DL could not get any of this fuel to their hubs except in NYC, unless taken by ship back to the gulf coast and delivered through pipelines.

I do not believe DTW or MSP can be reached through pipeline from this refinery but I could be wrong.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
I read about this. If this idea is so great, why haven't other airlines already figured this idea out and jumped on the idea?
I'm no expert, but I believe this has to be driven by the ever-increasing "crack spread" (i.e., difference between crude oil and jet fuel price). If crude oil is $100/barrel, jetfuel is usually more than that due to refining costs. This "crack spread" has been widening (e.g., it was running at around $33 a barrel around the end of February - crude oil at $97/barrel, but jet fuel at $130/barrel). In a 'crude' example, let's say Delta owns a refinery and its all-in cost to refine crude into jet fuel is $28/barrel, and the market crack spread is $33/barrel, it would be able to save $5/barrel with this idea.

Prior to this, perhaps crack spreads never reached levels where owning a refinery would be worth it. So with such a transaction, they are essentially betting that not only will crude prices remain high, but that the crack spread will continue to maintain or increase from its currently high levels...
Old Apr 4, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
I'm no expert, but I believe this has to be driven by the ever-increasing "crack spread" (i.e., difference between crude oil and jet fuel price). If crude oil is $100/barrel, jetfuel is usually more than that due to refining costs. This "crack spread" has been widening (e.g., it was running at around $33 a barrel around the end of February - crude oil at $97/barrel, but jet fuel at $130/barrel). In a 'crude' example, let's say Delta owns a refinery and its all-in cost to refine crude into jet fuel is $28/barrel, and the market crack spread is $33/barrel, it would be able to save $5/barrel with this idea.

Prior to this, perhaps crack spreads never reached levels where owning a refinery would be worth it. So with such a transaction, they are essentially betting that not only will crude prices remain high, but that the crack spread will continue to maintain or increase from its currently high levels...
It shouldn't matter at all. If DL buys a refinery, that refinery becomes part of its operations and costs and revenues from it flow directly to the income statement. If the spread is really high, then DL would essentially suck profits out of the refining division to subsidize the airline. They would achieve the same financial results as selling jet fuel on the open market from the refinery and buying it at the same rate for the airline. The ONLY way it makes sense is if there is some synergy that would allow them to operate the refinery more efficiently than others in the market, thereby increasing their "crack spread". To me, I just don't see how operating an airline qualifies anyone to run a refinery.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
And a horribly useless thread title. Please fix it.

-RM
It got you to read the thread, didn't it?

I'm confident that the fans of Monty Python understood the significance.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
[QUOTE=OnTheSlopes;18334791]
Originally Posted by johnslloyd

Pleasant surprise... got to my FC seat the other day and there was a bottle of water (normal) and a Biscoff (pleasant surprise) waiting there for me.

Way to go crew!

Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Yeah, it's different when the shoe is on the other foot, isn't it?
Priceless...

So let me get this straight. DL doesn't seem to like it when it's big suppliers are cutting capacity, reducing players in the market, and driving up the cost of the product. Well, what's good for the goose.......
Old Apr 5, 2012, 5:02 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
"Delta Air Lines looking to buy an oil refinery"

"Delta Air Lines is seriously considering the purchase of an oil refinery, CNBC's Kate Kelly reported on Wednesday. This would be a first for a major airline. According to the report, the deal Atlanta-based Delta would pay between $100 million and $150 million for the refinery........."

http://marketday.msnbc.msn.com/_news...ottomline&lite

Last edited by RRDD; Apr 5, 2012 at 6:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.