Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta into (and out of?) refinery business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta into (and out of?) refinery business

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2012, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dieuwer2

Edit to add:

Green = oil pipeline
Blue = products pipeline (refined products)
Red = natural gas

Um, why is Detroit south of Toledo and about where Cleveland should be?
Old May 1, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by mkgrip
Hasn't this been explained about a billion times in this thread?

If X ammount of jet fuel costs $1000 on the open market, and DL has that amount of its own fuel, it can either:

A) Pump the fuel into a DL plane and fly
B) Sell that fuel for $1000 to somebody who needs it, say AA.

If they choose option A they will have $1000 less money on their account than if they choose option B, so they lose $1000 by not selling it on the open market and therefore the real cost of that fuel in option A is no more or less than 1000$.

If DL did not have a refinery, it would have to buy that fuel in order to get to option A, again costing no more or less than the very same $1000.

Of course if the refinery itself could turn a huge profit if able to produce fuel way below market prices, but if it is able to do that it would be profitable even if DL didn't use any jet fuel itself. Same is true of any other business DL could invest in, if the buy a profitable tennis shoe factory, it will (by definition) bring profit to them.
I'll take a stab at this. Everything you have said is correct, but there is another question at hand: whether the "X amount of fuel" is even produced at all. In other words, with refineries closing down recently, capacity (and consequently supply) has decreased, leading to an increase in prices. By buying and operating the refinery they are increasing refining capacity and increasing supply of jet fuel, which will drive down prices. Thus, we have something more like the following:

Scenario 1: Refinery is closed, supply is restricted and X amount of fuel sells for $1100 on the open market.
Option A-- buy fuel for $1100.

Scenario 2: Refinery is operating, supply is expanded and X amount of fuel sells for $1000 on the open market.
Option A-- use own fuel.
Option B-- sell fuel to AA for $1000.

In Scenario 2, either option costs $1000. But in Scenario 1, there is only one option, and it costs 10% more!

It should also be noted that neither scenario encompasses any externalities, so if there happens to be a disruption in refining capacity elsewhere in the country (or if more oil companies shut down their refineries), both scenarios would change.

This example is not designed to show that Delta made a [good/bad] purchase per se, simply that the situation is not as simple as it seems. The refinery purchase is essentially a giant hedge against decreased capacity.
Old May 1, 2012, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by adamj023
I like the fact that more jetfuel will be made at this refinery. Trains here run on electricity tied back to various sources of energy which have their own infrastructures in place.
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but the freight trains in the New York City metro area are all burning diesel fuel.
Old May 1, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by wetrat0
I'll take a stab at this. Everything you have said is correct, but there is another question at hand: whether the "X amount of fuel" is even produced at all. In other words, with refineries closing down recently, capacity (and consequently supply) has decreased, leading to an increase in prices. By buying and operating the refinery they are increasing refining capacity and increasing supply of jet fuel, which will drive down prices. Thus, we have something more like the following:

Scenario 1: Refinery is closed, supply is restricted and X amount of fuel sells for $1100 on the open market.
Option A-- buy fuel for $1100.

Scenario 2: Refinery is operating, supply is expanded and X amount of fuel sells for $1000 on the open market.
Option A-- use own fuel.
Option B-- sell fuel to AA for $1000.

In Scenario 2, either option costs $1000. But in Scenario 1, there is only one option, and it costs 10% more!
Scenerio 3) JP Morgan wants cover to assist in gamimg the futures market, and is tossing DL $200M or so a year to make their play look legit in a market that might soon have political repercussions against pure speculators. DL actually has little control over anything, and the discount fuel just arrives in NY.
Old May 1, 2012, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but the freight trains in the New York City metro area are all burning diesel fuel.
Tracks are electrified in the New York City market. But diesel allows more torque which is why they are also often used on trucks so it can pull more. They could always build out an electric train that provides more torque.

But thats another issue. I presume they will be able to pipe the gas throughout the whole area. Streets aren't hard to run pipelines through. Natural gas lines have been replaced now with new PVC pipes in sections for a long time and they still likely aren't even fully finished.

It is a done deal and come September we will see Delta having access to more jetfuel.

While Delta is assuming they will save significant funds here, it is true they will still be subject to the fluctuation of crude oil prices. But in order to sustain their business they need to pay for jetfuel regardless. This way they will be getting access to more fuel since they will be refining more of what meets their actual needs.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...l_Reserves.png

I think Delta found the right method here to sustain its business for the long haul.

Last edited by adamj023; May 1, 2012 at 7:22 pm
Old May 1, 2012, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Scenerio 3) JP Morgan wants cover to assist in gamimg the futures market, and is tossing DL $200M or so a year to make their play look legit in a market that might soon have political repercussions against pure speculators. DL actually has little control over anything, and the discount fuel just arrives in NY.
One wonders why it was Chase and not Goldman Sacks then. I wouldn't have thought chase had it in them to play at that level.
Old May 1, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Wait a second here - Refinery+Delta IT=? Anyone else got a sinking feeling about this - I can see all the refinery screens showing no low priced fuel availability for any flights.

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
...There must certainly be a lot of talent available with all of the refinery closings. Hopefully, DL will pick the best and the brightest to run the place (deviating from the demonstrated practices with respect to the staffing of their IT department)....
Old May 1, 2012, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Back in the days we had the old railroads who built and expanded, then we turned into the modern era with air travel which we take for granted.

And I think it is a great move Delta is buying this refinery. If Delta plays its cards right this will be a significant game changer down the road.

The sad part was really they had to obtain an older refinery to upgrade it to add for more jet fuel.

I don't think may other refineries are for sale and the other airlines are going to have a hard time getting access to those or will have to build out some new facilities from scratch close to their hubs.

The refineries for natural gas and automobile and the like are all well established. The part which was lacking was the jet fuel refineries.

The USA has by far the largest amount of jet fuel produced but I do estimate that air travel is likely to pick up sharply and in fact air travel has been picking up steam.

Delta was getting access to Jetfuel from refinieries just like Trainer in the past. The only thing different is that Delta adds some of its own capital to make more jetfuel at an existing plant.

But unlike other airlines, Delta seems to have an older fleet and seems more intent on spending on small expenditures like this rather than further fleet modernization.

It is planning on modernizing its fleets, just seems like its doing it at a much slower pace than other competitors in the industry which will have more fuel efficient planes than Delta as time goes on.

737-900ER's only have 100 orders, and Dreamliners won't be arriving till 2020. So what we will see is the new 737-900ER fleet along with the Trainer facility.

If there is more profit though and buying Trainer does work, hopefully they will be able to modernize and expand the fleet and grow the business as well down the line when competitive needs require it.

Last edited by adamj023; May 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm
Old May 1, 2012, 7:51 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
With Boeing buying old Airbus from China and Delta making jet fuel cheap by increasing capacity, I think the next Kryptonium elite can fly his own A340 with DL jet fuel from JFK to LGA. Anyone want to ride with me?
Old May 1, 2012, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ffI
With Boeing buying old Airbus from China and Delta making jet fuel cheap by increasing capacity, I think the next Kryptonium elite can fly his own A340 with DL jet fuel from JFK to LGA. Anyone want to ride with me?
No slots available to fly from JFK To LGA. It is done at times due to repositioning and the like, but it is not allowed for regularly scheduled jet service.

Last edited by adamj023; May 1, 2012 at 8:34 pm
Old May 1, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by adamj023
...The sad part was really they had to obtain an older refinery to upgrade it to add for more jet fuel. ...
My understanding is that nobody builds new refineries now, they just expand and modernize old ones. NIMBY lives.

As to this plant, it produces a large fraction of kerosine/JF and can deliver direct to NYC airports.Seams like a logical choice.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Wait a second here - Refinery+Delta IT=? Anyone else got a sinking feeling about this - I can see all the refinery screens showing no low priced fuel availability for any flights.
+1 ^

By far the best post yet in this thread!
Old May 1, 2012, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by exwannabe
My understanding is that nobody builds new refineries now, they just expand and modernize old ones. NIMBY lives.

As to this plant, it produces a large fraction of kerosine/JF and can deliver direct to NYC airports.Seams like a logical choice.
Not against it if you haven't already noticed. One plant happened to be on the market for a good price and Delta acquired it. Will make air travel better for all involved. It is a win for the airline as well as consumers.

Remember, Delta will have the largest marketshare out of JFK + LGA combined. With all that marketshare will need more jetfuel to service the area. and supposedly they will be upgrading the plant to maximize jetfuel production even though it will still produce other fuels which will be traded for jetfuel.

Allegedly . Carlyle Group is considering buying into Sunoco's Philadelphia refinery.
Old May 1, 2012, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Angry

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Refineries now typically have computerized control systems. An operator sits in front of a console that graphically depicts the equipment. If he wants to close a valve, he selects the icon for the valve, which brings up a window that allows him to input the command to close the valve.

Can you imagine the DL refinery operator, wishing to close the valve, receiving a response from the computer:
"Ooops, we seem to be experiencing some turbulence. That valve is no longer available today. Please begin again and select another valve or another day."
The operator, frustrated as hell, goes to RefineryTalk to post his rant and, not surprisingly, gets 6 responses from DOs (Diamond Operators), all of the nature:
"Valves are very easy to close, as long as you are willing to be flexible. I never have trouble closing valves."
Old May 1, 2012, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by mkgrip
Hasn't this been explained about a billion times in this thread?

If X ammount of jet fuel costs $1000 on the open market, and DL has that amount of its own fuel, it can either:

A) Pump the fuel into a DL plane and fly
B) Sell that fuel for $1000 to somebody who needs it, say AA.

If they choose option A they will have $1000 less money on their account than if they choose option B, so they lose $1000 by not selling it on the open market and therefore the real cost of that fuel in option A is no more or less than 1000$.

If DL did not have a refinery, it would have to buy that fuel in order to get to option A, again costing no more or less than the very same $1000.

Of course if the refinery itself could turn a huge profit if able to produce fuel way below market prices, but if it is able to do that it would be profitable even if DL didn't use any jet fuel itself. Same is true of any other business DL could invest in, if the buy a profitable tennis shoe factory, it will (by definition) bring profit to them.
It may have been explained but, as is usual for FT, by people that don't seem to truly understand what they are talking about.

How about you account for Delta's own demand and then tell me how much money is lost? Until DL miraculously stops needing jet fuel, the only net cost (or profit) from this transaction will be the difference between the cost to produce internally and the cost to secure externally.

You erroneously end the transaction flow after the LLC sells the fuel to AA, ignoring the fact that DL then has to buy the foregone fuel at the same market rate they just sold at. Under either scenario, DL is in the same ultimate position.

Heck, by your logic, DL should sell all of their jet fuel even today. After all, they are forgoing cash by putting it into their own planes. They might as well sell the planes too.

Again, this ultimately saves or loses money depending upon whether DL's costs to operate are above or below the portion of the price of jet fuel attributable to the refining process. I have my doubts they will save a lot of money, but your argument about losing out by not selling on the open market is way off the mark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.