Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Here we go again: Award price miles increase when I move from select to 'book'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here we go again: Award price miles increase when I move from select to 'book'

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by RealHJ
While I (and most other FTers) rarely if ever burn their miles for 25K tickets, the greater audience indeed does. I would suggest a second video (linked to this one) about a 25K round trip (not OW), showing how mileage varies when both are green to various levels, but never 25K.

May be also there incorporate the quote about "fixing" this from years ago.

I think one video is great. Two is even better. Then both can spread, and potential audience can watch just one or both.
exactly. FTers are in a class of their own, always looking for the best value, etc. that said, when i want to take my family of 6 somewhere, i am not sending them business/first class.

i've recently been searching for revenue tickets for this summer, all of which are coming back at $400+/each (some even as high as $600). for me, being able to book a domestic coach as an award for 25K wins over spending over $1200 (3 tickets) or more. (that is if they even exist. ) maybe not the best value, but it pains me to pay more than $300 for a ticket to travel east coast to west coast. YMMV
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Blue Skye
exactly. FTers are in a class of their own, always looking for the best value, etc. that said, when i want to take my family of 6 somewhere, i am not sending them business/first class.

i've recently been searching for revenue tickets for this summer, all of which are coming back at $400+/each (some even as high as $600). for me, being able to book a domestic coach as an award for 25K wins over spending over $1200 (3 tickets) or more. (that is if they even exist. ) maybe not the best value, but it pains me to pay more than $300 for a ticket to travel east coast to west coast. YMMV
Exactly. Now that's more like the typical Joe Blow scenario.

Hence I suggest keep this video, titled: Award Ticket Booking Madness on Delta Air Lines - 1 of 2 (International)

and create a second one for RT (not OW) 25K domestic flight, showing how when green is selected both ways it goes to all sorts of numbers, just never 25K, titled: Award Ticket Booking Madness on Delta Air Lines - 2 of 2 (Domestic)
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:12 pm

A recent search for RDU-LAX round trip turned up to be $600+. I think at that pricepoint 25k for a domestic (if available) isn't a bad use of miles
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by duke2013
A recent search for RDU-LAX round trip turned up to be $600+. I think at that pricepoint 25k for a domestic (if available) isn't a bad use of miles
exactly the polnt. i am trying to get to SAN from one of four airports, east coast/mid atlantic. i have tried to put in varying dates, or fly into LAX and take the train, to keep costs down. so yes, 25K for any award RT east coast to west would be a better use IMO. i have even tried to piece together one ways, odd airport combos as well as not flying peak time of day to get said cost down.

but back to topic, using miles for low cost domestic would be a nice thing. the last time i had to use miles i was only able to get a 40K RT (not for lack of trying either). which is kinda nuts but i had no choice as my dates/event were fixed. it wasn't any better when i was a PM vs my lowly SM that i have now.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Now it works on my iPad. I like the carnival, slapstick new music. Well done.

+1

Great video. At first I thought you had captured my latest search for BE to LHR.

Cheers

Last edited by X3Skier; Apr 18, 2012 at 5:04 am
Old Apr 16, 2012, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I hear the calls for something round-trip with lower mileage, especially domestic 25ks that might be the holy grail of infrequent travelers. I'll keep looking and try to come up with a good formula. In the mean time, I put another easy target in the crosshairs, the SkyMiles Marketplace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YoUtHacPLU
Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by javabytes
I hear the calls for something round-trip with lower mileage, especially domestic 25ks that might be the holy grail of infrequent travelers. I'll keep looking and try to come up with a good formula. In the mean time, I put another easy target in the crosshairs, the SkyMiles Marketplace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YoUtHacPLU
Well done!
Old Apr 17, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
Bump

Something this important needs to kept on the first page.

Just fix the award calendar !!
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
I think having a nonfunctioning award calendar and difficulty finding low awards benefits FT'ers over the general public.

I like the video(s) nonetheless.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
I agree! I recently found DTW-LAX roundtrips for $1550 or 25k !
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: Several dozen
I vote for "something much more nefarious." The engine has a gamey smell.

Waitasec, is that Deltalina wagging her finger when I say "how about offering a decent selection of low Skymiles flights?"

Originally Posted by javabytes
Nothing new. This is either a prolonged, multi-year-long IT problem, or something much more nefarious. Odds are heavily in favor of IT. Even at best, it's embarrassing. Delta has the worst award booking engine of its peers.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I like the music better here. The first one was good, but the 2nd one gives the carnival like ridiculous feeling that dl.com just is.

Originally Posted by Feather Man
Something this important needs to kept on the first page.

Just fix the award calendar !!
I know, and we've been asking for how long?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I like the music better here. The first one was good, but the 2nd one gives the carnival like ridiculous feeling that dl.com just is.

I know, and we've been asking for how long?
The music is perfect.

While UA may claim Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue as their own, I think that the soundtrack from Deliverance might be a better fit for DL given the state of their IT.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sabai
You have elegantly made my point for me.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:49 am

Similarly, crossing the border to Canada is routinely $600+, and well worth the 25k if you can find it!

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.