Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Goodbye SEA and SUX res...Friday 7/27 visit to Seattle with Discount Travel Codes

Goodbye SEA and SUX res...Friday 7/27 visit to Seattle with Discount Travel Codes

Old Apr 11, 12, 10:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by WillTvl4Food View Post
NWA/Deltaflygirl is correct. Delta has 9 call centers, all of which are underutilizing their capacity. So, instead of having 9 half-full call centers, Delta is closing down the two lowest staffed (and smallest in physical space) in order to cut costs. The call volume has been high enough that there isn't a need to reduce head count, and so all frontline employees are being offered the option to relocate if that suits them, try to bid into other positions, or furlough.

It's never easy to have to go through an office closure in any industry. I am hopeful that all of my colleagues take whatever option best meets their needs, and if they can stay with DL, even better.
Interesting...so what causes the costs of a call center then? Is it just the space that they are leasing? Would it have been possible to downsize the size of the center and keep everybody there? I'm not familiar with how call centers operate, so am kind of curious.
Old Apr 11, 12, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by NWA/Deltaflygirl View Post
We got the news today, we're closing on the 30th of August, so if you guys call and actually reach one of us over the next few days, be gentle.. *cries*
Sorry to hear that.
Thank you for all your service.
I pray it all works out for all of you, and that everyone gets gainful employment soon.
It would be a great loss to both Delta and its customers, but it will be a great win for the company that hires you.

Good Luck!
Old Apr 11, 12, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
That and the fact that CVG, ATL, TPA etc need an infusion of SEA awesomeness...
You forgot SLC, those "fake Chisholm" reps need it big time.
Old Apr 11, 12, 10:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by Eighty8MPH View Post

Another interesting quote from the article:

“There was a lot of speculation the closure had to do with the city's choice of American Airlines over Delta for a federal air service grant. Exactly one week ago, Delta flew out of Sioux City for the last time.”
I know Hitler's pissed! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSN7zpwV6vQ
Old Apr 12, 12, 2:58 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Yes, I think you are - it's about utilizing actual office space, and consolidating - our office (like others) hasn't been at capacity for a long time, especially since the merger, and it's better for Delta to have more bodies in the buildings it has.

^

Let us know what you intend to do!
Old Apr 12, 12, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by yohanson View Post
LMAO
Old Apr 12, 12, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
OK... there have been more than 50 posts and no one has said this.

So, while asking all to keep in mind that I am not making light of the situation, I gotta say:

"This SUX!"
Old Apr 12, 12, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Ballast Medallion, Card Carrying Honorary KM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
OK... there have been more than 50 posts and no one has said this.

So, while asking all to keep in mind that I am not making light of the situation, I gotta say:

"This SUX!"
Oh make light all you like - gotta find humor SOMEWHERE!

Some of the other offices have been posting support messages on other venues, offering everything from open arms to help looking at housing and getting to know their cities - pretty awesome folks all around!
Old Apr 12, 12, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

Some of the other offices have been posting support messages on other venues, offering everything from open arms to help looking at housing and getting to know their cities - pretty awesome folks all around!
Thanks for understanding the manner in which it was offered.

I wish I could add more than moral support, but I doubt DL management intends to open any call centers in the Philly area (where USAir and WN prevail).

Again, good luck!
Old Apr 12, 12, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*

Glad to hear that Delta is trying to take care of their own. I wish you all the best, and assure you that ATL is not nearly as bad a place to live as it is to travel through!

However I wish you all the best NWA/Deltaflygirl, whether you relocate with Delta or not. I'm sorry that they gave you the news this way, and I hope you and your coworkers all find positions that reflect your value to the community.

Thank you for all you've given to the FT community!
Old Apr 12, 12, 11:40 am

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
+1. Can't argue with that.

(Though to be fair, the only experience I have with SEA is awful. One of the worst and most rude, for no reason whatsoever, NW agents ever (back quite a few years ago, well before DL). But I trust that this was the exception and not the norm.)
Old Apr 12, 12, 11:44 am

Programs: DL DM 4.4 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney View Post
You forgot SLC, those "fake Chisholm" reps need it big time.
+1
Old Apr 12, 12, 12:00 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Thanks for all of your kind words, folks - needless to say we are all 'shocked and saddened' (isn't that how the e-mails go?) by this turn of events - most of us left the office in tears this afternoon (yeah, myself included).

For their credit, they didn't just waltz in this afters with the 'Don't come monday's, and I intend to stick by it until the very bitter end. We'll be getting word of our options sometime next week...
Come on guys, DL reps like NWA/Deltaflygirl are the best we FTers could ever hope for. It will be a tremendous loss to our FT community if we lose these folks, not to mention the personal loss to any DL reps that aren't able to relocate.

NWA/Deltaflygirl, we all wish you all the best, and would love to support you any way we can. Please let us know if there is anything the FT community can do to repay you for all of your contributions in the past.
Old Apr 12, 12, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
A lot of my co-workers and friends are going to transfer to other offices - so SEA expertise will be more evenly distributed through the DL system.

To be honest, I'm still reeling too much to make a decision...
I agree with the earlier comment - DL needs to transfer you guys to CVG & SLC to "help" the folks there become more Iron Range like (if you can explain a hot dish to them would be a plus too but we'll settle for just plain excellent service too)
Old Apr 12, 12, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hilton Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
(Though to be fair, the only experience I have with SEA is awful. One of the worst and most rude, for no reason whatsoever, NW agents ever (back quite a few years ago, well before DL). But I trust that this was the exception and not the norm.)
Good heavens, we hope so! The folks in SEA have long prided themselves on the excellent service we provide, but we also humbly admit that we have a few among our ranks who don't share that vision. As the saying goes, there are always a few in every bunch!

And I remain confident--because it's better than dwelling on the alternative--that everyone, including NWA/Deltaflygirl, will get through this and find an option. From my rudimentary queries of people, many are considering SLC, CVG, or MSP, with a couple to TPA or DFW for good measure. Personally, I haven't given it a great deal of thought yet, but the news is still quite fresh and there is still time to make decisions.

I hopefully can speak on behalf of all the employees in SEA and SUX and say THANK YOU to all of you here on FT for your kind words and support. It's a true testament when a company's customers show how much they care in this regard.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: