Search

Mediocre Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K Air Canada Gold Thai Air Gold Delta Platinum Hilton Diamond
Mediocre Lounges

Flew DL last night Atl to AMS. I was in economy and mediocre service as usual and this was after spending time in the joke of a Lounge in Terminal E. no seats at 330pm a ten minute wait in line to get a soda and the usual joke selection of snacks.

Contrast that with the KLM lounge I am now in. Plenty of seats, excellent selection of foods including meats and cheeses, soup, bread and rolls, pastries and get your own drinks.

Don't the executives of DL travel and see what a joke their lounges are.

Really DL if you want to be a world class airline start acting like it. That also means having your FA get off their a--- during a flight and serve water and drinks. Last night I never saw a FA for 5 hours between dinner and snack.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 4:57 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by firecat69
I was in economy and mediocre service as usual and this was after spending time in the joke of a Lounge in Terminal E. no seats at 330pm a ten minute wait in line to get a soda and the usual joke selection of snacks.
Wow... tell us how you really feel.

Contrast that with the KLM lounge I am now in. Plenty of seats, excellent selection of foods including meats and cheeses, soup, bread and rolls, pastries and get your own drinks.
You are comparing apples and oranges. Lounges in Europe are a different animal than those in the US. Lounge access in the US is primarily to attract Amex business; while in Europe lounges cater to pax.

Really DL if you want to be a world class airline start acting like it.
I don't think DL has ever claimed to be a world class airline. (:-:Best-in-class:-: was their mantra for a while, but they thankfully stopped with that BS.)

Airlines like QR pride themselves with the level of service they offer. DL is improving their hard product, they are very aggressively pushing Amex, they have a vast network and are ok in terms of price (when compared to their direct competition).

If you are displeased with the lounges and the level of service, you have the option of writing to DL about it.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
If you are displeased with the lounges and the level of service, you have the option of writing to DL about it.
Try others, but don't expect Asian service on American airlines
Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:23 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
While most of the lounges in the DL system have become overcrowded day care centers for adults, the one in E is perhaps the worst because of what happened there. Delta took one of their best clubs in the systems (the old E club) and destroyed it completely. I will not go in that club, its much more comfortable to find a quiet area at one of the unused gates.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I remember when E has really good food, but now it just gets the standard SC fare.

If you compare a DL lounge to the AMS KLM lounge, the biggest difference in my opinion is the food. It would really not take much to upgrade the food in the SC, at least for INTL flights in gateway cities. It is an embarrassment.

Overcrowding is a different story and harder to fix. When I was in AMS a couple of weeks ago the lounge was every bit as packed as a DL lounge; in fact, the line to get in the lounge was 10 minutes long. At least no one put their feet on the tables!

If you really want to see a nice spread, try the Virgin lounge in SYD (domestic).
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Do you think part of the issue is that there are too many Americans who who would simply make a mockery of skyclub real food offerings by taking massive portions and/or then sneaking additional amounts to take out of the club?

I see that happening in America but not Europe so much...perhaps when Delta offered real food in E club there were some who were simply abusing the amount of food they would take?

In any case, I still think Delta should offer real food in its clubs...
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: DL MM, DL DM, Marriott PP
Well, Delta is a mediocre airline. They are just adjusting everything to match the image.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: DL,AA SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MAMOHT
Well, Delta is a mediocre airline. They are just adjusting everything to match the image.
Mediocrity is what the US domestic market demands. Would you rather have very affordable air travel or expensive travel with all the bells and whistles. We love to complain on this forum about the decreasing lack of free upgrades at the same time we complain about the level of service. Do you see the disconnect? If you want food on the skyclub than you will need to fundamentally change the attitude of most Americans.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: DL MM, DL DM, Marriott PP
I did not complain. Just stated the fact. DL is still somewhat better than Southwest or Spirit.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Do you think part of the issue is that there are too many Americans who who would simply make a mockery of skyclub real food offerings by taking massive portions and/or then sneaking additional amounts to take out of the club?
Unfortunately, I suspect this probably would happen.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by TechMarauder
Try others, but don't expect Asian service on American airlines
Why not? When we lower our expectations we end up wth a lower level of service.
Overall we should demand a higher level of service, then even when the provider falls short of expectations we should be left with a level higher than before.
I'm in sales and my company would never give me a sales budget they thought I could easily reach.
Why should we lower our expectations because it's an US airline?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by florin
I don't think DL has ever claimed to be a world class airline. (:-:Best-in-class:-: was their mantra for a while, but they thankfully stopped with that BS.)
I believe they saved the term "world class" to refer to SkyMiles!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tuono07
Why not? When we lower our expectations we end up wth a lower level of service. (
The short answer: we have already lowered our willingness to pay. Americans want to pay coach fares (many FTalkers, LUTE coach fares) and upgrade. European and Asian carriers don't that game to the same extent.

Remind me again: On what airlines can a passenger confirm a UA upgrade instrument on a partner-operated intercontinental flight at time of purchase? How about for AA SWUs? (That one I know: it's the null set.)
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: Skyteam
Bulk of those people there purchased their discounted passes from Groupon. No wonder it's crowded.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by DLATL777
While most of the lounges in the DL system have become overcrowded day care centers for adults, the one in E is perhaps the worst because of what happened there. Delta took one of their best clubs in the systems (the old E club) and destroyed it completely. I will not go in that club, its much more comfortable to find a quiet area at one of the unused gates.
+1

Why does anyone go there? I've edged in to use the free wifi when I needed a larger screen than my phone provides, but never venture beyond the front desk. What a zoo! Yes, the old biz lounge was great, and even the old Crown Room was ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.