Delta Prefered seats out of control

Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter

Now I agree if Delta moves a family that was originally seated together then Delta should fix the mess.

If however, family said "we don't want to pay for seat assignements"
Agreed. If DL changes equip and that causes a problem, that's one thing. But if Mom and Dad are too cheap to pay for seat selection or are trying to game the system to get preferred seats for free, don't blame Delta (or ask me to move)
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL DM
Not directed at the OP, but I am so tired of people hiding behind "disabilities". I know what is defined by the DOT and I seel how people try to milk it. If issues like anxiety are so great, perhaps one should travel by air?

I was in "F" with a "companion animal" that kept sitting on my foot for a woman with "anxiety". Little regard for my real condition of dog allergies. She didn't seem anxious at all and after a glass or two of vino told me it was how she got away with carrying her animal onboard and letting it out of her cage.

I wish those with "disabilities" would thank God they don't have disabilities and abide by the system.

The way the system is now, those with no status should count on paying extra fees. Period.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by houserulz77
So your family flies in to visit; this suggests planned travel. There is no reason why you cannot select seats when booking in advance. Instead, your family's preferred method is to take whatever seats the computer spits out, and then guilt customers into moving around; perhaps even customers that actually selected seats in advance. Further, it's always funny to me how people asking others to move do so in a way that requires someone else moving to a middle seat.
There is if there are so many seats blocked off as "preferred" that it is not possible for them to book seats together.

As a medallion I agree I choose my seat carefully and do not want to switch with someone else for a less desirable seat. As a parent I understand the frustration and I can see that DL has to figure out a way to accommodate families to sit together.

Last edited by HongKonger; Jun 7, 2012 at 4:31 pm
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Not directed at the OP, but I am so tired of people hiding behind "disabilities". I know what is defined by the DOT and I seel how people try to milk it. If issues like anxiety are so great, perhaps one should travel by air?

I was in "F" with a "companion animal" that kept sitting on my foot for a woman with "anxiety". Little regard for my real condition of dog allergies. She didn't seem anxious at all and after a glass or two of vino told me it was how she got away with carrying her animal onboard and letting it out of her cage.

I wish those with "disabilities" would thank God they don't have disabilities and abide by the system.

The way the system is now, those with no status should count on paying extra fees. Period.
About 4 years ago I was flying ANC-DTW and wanted to change seats in F. The agent said she only had one and I probably wouldn't want is since is was next to a 'companion Animal', the dog was a freggin St. Bernard. I also remember reading several years ago USAir had to carry a pig as a confort animal, I agree too many people are gaming that system as well
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:55 pm

If I knew in advance that I cannot fly with my 6 year old seating with me I would have reconsidered the whole vacation plan. I was only offered the option of paying for a seat at the airport (which I did pay for) and NOT at booking time - I wanted a middle seat next to any of the 3 window seats I had assigned - they did not sell those particular seats.
I still think it's not right what Delta is doing - as someone said earlier in a post - not all people flying are nice people or people I would like/feel safe having my children seating by - as far as I know Delta does not run background checks or look for sex offenders when selling tickets or boarding planes. The same way I would not let my children eat at a food court with a stranger I would not want them spending 2+ hours with someone I don't know in a plane. I hope it does not sound unreasonable the argument.

Now I am stuck and stressed because I booked my July trip with Delta before this one.
For houserulz77 that offered some help, thanks, these are the details for the trip: Jul03 ATL-CUN DL531 return CUN-ATL Jul10 DL534 bought the tickets May 3rd. Is there anyway to avoid seat assignment changes or unpleasant surprises at the airport again? Your help is appreciated :-)
We have now windows and middle in row 24 - I like them - the plane was empty when I booked and the seats were opened (exactly as it happened with the Orlando trip).
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by HongKonger
There is if there are so many seats blocked off as "preferred" that it is not possible for them to book seats together.

As a medallion I agree I choose my seat carefully and do not want to switch with someone else for a less desirable seat. As a parent I understand the frustration and I can see that DL has to figure out a way to accommodate families to sit together.
This is why I made it a point to note that the situation described involved planned travel. I have never gone to book a flight that I was planning in advance where there were not some pairs of seats available a few months out.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I like the idea, but I think a lot of the people traveling with kids don't just want to sit together, they also want to sit together in prime seats near the front, etc.
And there is a easy solution for them to. If they fly enough to get status they will be able to chose those prime seats together. If they don't have status then they should be ok with sitting in the back few rows together if they truly have to sit together.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by flyingfran
My daughter, son-in-law and 6 year-old grandson fly into Orlando several times a year to visit us. They do not have status and are never assigned seats together. My daughter just gets on the plane and puts my grandson in the center seat where he has been assigned. She just smiles at the passengers on either side and explains that Delta could not seat her next to her son. Passengers are never excited about having a six-year-old child as a seat companion.

Our grandson has never flown without a parent next to him. Someone always elects to take daughter's middle seat rather than flying across the country with a six-year-child. On her flight last week she put grandson in center seat and said to the adjoining passengers that grandson was quite cranky and she was glad that Delta did not require her to sit next to him. Both passengers gave their seats to daughter and son-in-law.

I do agree, however, that Delta could do more to help families sit together. Occasionally a gate agent will do that for my daughter, but only about 50% of the time.
How tacky...you must be so proud.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by dd992emo
How tacky...you must be so proud.
What exactly is she supposed to do? Delta refuses to seat them together.

I had the same situation years ago. I had no idea when I booked the ticket I wouldn't get seats, and it looked like I was going to have to put an infant carrier next to a stranger. My phone calls were ignored. Fortunately when I arrived they took one look at the baby and made some changes.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by Rebelyell

I had the same situation years ago. I had no idea when I booked the ticket I wouldn't get seats, and it looked like I was going to have to put an infant carrier next to a stranger. My phone calls were ignored. Fortunately when I arrived they took one look at the baby and made some changes.
So, you're saying the airline accommodated your wishes without your trying to guilt innocent bystanders into accommodating your wishes? Sounds like Delta did you a solid. ^
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

But why did all three family members have to sit together????? I can understand one parent wanting to sit with their child but why should two people have to give up aisle/window seats for middle seats?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Singleflyer
About 4 years ago I was flying ANC-DTW and wanted to change seats in F. The agent said she only had one and I probably wouldn't want is since is was next to a 'companion Animal', the dog was a freggin St. Bernard. I also remember reading several years ago USAir had to carry a pig as a confort animal, I agree too many people are gaming that system as well
I haven't seen this happen on Delta much, but when I used to fly Southwest it used to iritate me that all these people would ask for preboard sleeves but as soon as we were at the arrival city gate they were able to get out of their seats and grab their bags and walk off the plane just fine.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver

This has to be one of the top 10 most ridiculous things ever posted in the Forum.

Part of the reason they don't listen to sob stories on the telephone is so that GAs actually have seats to give out to people in the situation you described. If they just filled up the plane like is suggested by the poster you are defending, there wouldn't have been any seats left. So in truth, them holding back seats served to help you.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pbjag
Agreed. If DL changes equip and that causes a problem, that's one thing. But if Mom and Dad are too cheap to pay for seat selection or are trying to game the system to get preferred seats for free, don't blame Delta (or ask me to move)
Even then, I don't agree that families should get special treatment. Many of us have experienced loss of advanced seat assignments when there is a schedule or equipment change and we do not get special consideration in changing the resulting seats. The presence of "children" should not entitle anyone to special treatment.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:02 am

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Even then, I don't agree that families should get special treatment. Many of us have experienced loss of advanced seat assignments when there is a schedule or equipment change and we do not get special consideration in changing the resulting seats. The presence of "children" should not entitle anyone to special treatment.
+1 and well reasoned. Nothing against children myself but your sound logic will likely fall on many deaf ears.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.