Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWU madness....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by flyerslc
Explicitly told by agent on PM line that the SWU would not move me up the list. Called back and got the SWU applied but she did not take me off the regular upgrade request list and her supervisor told her it would not make any difference. I insisted she do so, and she said are you sure you want me to take you off the list? I said sure, as I had nothing to lose being 8th or something with 2 seats left. I got the last FC seat.
Amazing they don't know how their own system works.
I had exactly this experience. Word for word.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
The cert info can be (and should be if the agent did it correctly) entered when you request the SWU waitlist.
Thanks, she hadn't added it.

When I called to add it the agent said "oh we will call you if you don't clear the waitlist and ask if you are still interested, then input the certificate."

I insisted on inputting it now knowing that call is never coming.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Once again at airport and my UG status coded as UP3D, not UP2A. Grrrrr.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Great DL SC agent at DFW SC who helped me out. Gave him a JWD cert and definitely well earned as he spent over 25 min fixing the issue then showing me how DL-matic works re the SWU and PNRs. ^
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Great DL SC agent at DFW SC who helped me out. Gave him a JWD cert and definitely well earned as he spent over 25 min fixing the issue then showing me how DL-matic works re the SWU and PNRs. ^
Learn anything useful in addition to what's been discussed here?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:40 am

Once again at airport and my UG status coded as UP3D, not UP2A. Grrrrr.
One thing to watch before 24 hours is...

Make sure your res says 'Upgrade Eligible,' and not 'Upgrade Requested' otherwise the Medallion priority will take over.

And have the agent manually put in the certificate and redemption code in the PNR.

Successfully used a SWU for two passengers on a JFK transcon that cleared at the gate.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by HongKonger
Learn anything useful in addition to what's been discussed here?
Not really. Agent tried to add me in the WL under UP2A but couldn't. Had to call airport of my second flight (one I was using the SWU) to remove me from the list first (he thought he could not have duplicate listings one as up2a and one as up3d, which I actually disagree with since I've seen myself in the list twice before). After I was taken off the list as up3d agent added me back on manually via Deltamatic as up2a but it would add me back in as up3d status.
Called the DM line and the agent did it on her end in 30 seconds.

SC agent went back into show me what DM line agent did as he couldnt figure it it himself and he thinks it was either because she was in backend system (apparently only 1 terminal in the SC had that and his was frontend) or it was because she put her agent code down as a supervisor (SUP code).

He didn't know. What was odd but not surprising was the SWU number and redemption code were still not attached. This causes issues because the ticket can't get reissued either by a GA or ahead if time if your cleared before 24.

Agent promised to find out and email me, so I'll share what I can later. What was most odd was agent didn't know about the up2a code and is a long time DL agent, so proof DL still needs better training.

I would summarize this (nothing new):

1. To avoid issues ensure the SWU info is added to your UG request (though some pax won't want this as sometimes this allows double dipping)
2. Check the UG status at the airport. Ensure it is UP2a if DM. If not ask agent to correct it and they can look up the codes in Deltamatic if they don't know it.
3. DM line can correct codes on their end, might require a supervisor.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Not really. Agent tried to add me in the WL under UP2A but couldn't. Had to call airport of my second flight (one I was using the SWU) to remove me from the list first (he thought he could not have duplicate listings one as up2a and one as up3d, which I actually disagree with since I've seen myself in the list twice before). After I was taken off the list as up3d agent added me back on manually via Deltamatic as up2a but it would add me back in as up3d status.
Called the DM line and the agent did it on her end in 30 seconds.

SC agent went back into show me what DM line agent did as he couldnt figure it it himself and he thinks it was either because she was in backend system (apparently only 1 terminal in the SC had that and his was frontend) or it was because she put her agent code down as a supervisor (SUP code).

He didn't know. What was odd but not surprising was the SWU number and redemption code were still not attached. This causes issues because the ticket can't get reissued either by a GA or ahead if time if your cleared before 24.

Agent promised to find out and email me, so I'll share what I can later. What was most odd was agent didn't know about the up2a code and is a long time DL agent, so proof DL still needs better training.

I would summarize this (nothing new):

1. To avoid issues ensure the SWU info is added to your UG request (though some pax won't want this as sometimes this allows double dipping)
2. Check the UG status at the airport. Ensure it is UP2a if DM. If not ask agent to correct it and they can look up the codes in Deltamatic if they don't know it.
3. DM line can correct codes on their end, might require a supervisor.
A touching tribute to (or a stinging indictment of) Delta's conversance with information technology.

It really shouldn't be this hard - not for the customers nor for the hapless staff who are compelled to use such $hit IT in their workplace.

Well done Delta.

Last edited by Sabai; Jul 27, 2013 at 5:54 pm
Old Jul 27, 2013, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
One thing to watch before 24 hours is...

Make sure your res says 'Upgrade Eligible,' and not 'Upgrade Requested' otherwise the Medallion priority will take over.

And have the agent manually put in the certificate and redemption code in the PNR.

Successfully used a SWU for two passengers on a JFK transcon that cleared at the gate.
It doesn't matter if the medallion upgrade is requested. Every time I've used an SWU I have the medallion upgrade requested and it doesn't impact the SWU negatively... the key is having it coded properly with the info in the PNR as you mentioned. If that wasn't done then you won't show up on the upgrade list at all if the medallion upgrade isn't requested.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
DLAssist agents also seem to be knowledgeable about proper SWU coding and the UP2A vs UP3D etc as I've had them fix/confirm status multiple times now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.