SWU madness....

Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: DAL-PM
Originally Posted by goodandclassy

Thanks for this! Do people at the airport have access to travelnet? How could I refer them to said list when needed?

Also, good approach on complaining until they get it right. Squeaky wheel, etc...
yes, the agents at the airport can access the priority list codes. Not sure if they do it thru TravelNet or Deltamatic, but they can look them up. next time I will be insist they look it up or I will go find a Red Coat to sort it out for me. I would just ask if the upgrade code by your name on the airport standby list is UP2A or UP2B. If it is not, then the SWU is not being used.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LuvAv8n
Same experience on my last international flight. Saw J8, so figured Z would eventually open up. Got my EF notification, looked at my reservation on line, and no upgrade. Called DM desk, and got the same story. "I see you are waitlisted. Should have auto cleared. Sorry. Blah blah blah."

This is one of the many reasons I have EF, because I don't trust Delta's automated system to get things right, especially when I am rolling the bones on a Z = 0 flight. (Yes, I know, there are those of you who will say to only pay M when Z is greater than 0, but business trips are not always so flexible.)

Av8n
Originally Posted by craig44485
^+1. Never wait for DL to process it. One time I got the EF alert, called DL, and agent said it would process when it rolled over within the next few hours, pressed her on how long and she said 2 to 3 hours. Checked back in 3 hours and still nothing. Called again and was told not all 3 segments had opened up Z and all 3 needed to do so before the SWU could be processed. (MNL>NRT, NRT>JFK, JFK>PIT) This did not seem right, so I tweeted @DeltaAssist and the person there was able to book me on 2 of the 3 legs, while being on stand-by for the last leg. The main leg I wanted was NRT>JFK which was the one that opened up first, I could live with sitting in the back MNL>NRT or JFK>PIT if it came down to it. It all worked out fine in the end, though for some reason I got the upgrade from my status JFK>PIT and not the SWU, not sure why??
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Never wait for the automated system. When you get your notification, call immediately. Otherwise you are playing with fire.
Well, glad all of us are onto the game. But this is supposed to be automatic, that's the problem.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 1:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by sushi lover
I called the Medallion line initially to put the SWU coupon into use. According to a gate agent they cannot do it at the airport. My complaint to DL included the fact that in two attempts to use an SWU in my short time as PM, I have run into 3 agents that did not know the benefits of the SWU or how to use them. I do not know how to "tweet", or have any desire to learn.

The SWUs are a big benefit to me. I always buy my tix less than 24 hours out, so almost always the upgrades are all given out and there are only 2 or 3 seats left. I will use an SWU on longer flights to put me over any DMs on the list. I will not accept DL not knowing what they are doing with these things.
I have no desire to tweet either but I made an account and learned how to use it specifically to resolve any problems I might have with DL and it paid off once.

FYI it is possible to use them at the airport.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 1:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Well, glad all of us are onto the game. But this is supposed to be automatic, that's the problem.
A lot of things are "supposed" to happen. As with many areas in life, not only with air travel, things that are "supposed" to happen may not happen unless you make them happen.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 4:45 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I have no desire to tweet either but I made an account and learned how to use it specifically to resolve any problems I might have with DL and it paid off once.

Being able to tweet@DeltaAssist expands one's options in many situations not the least of which is when actually in flight. This was played out in full color for me the other day coming in from ATH when I was on the JFK-MSP flight.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 4:59 am

Programs: DL DM
EF Pays Off....Again

Originally Posted by LuvAv8n
Same experience on my last international flight. Saw J8, so figured Z would eventually open up. Got my EF notification, looked at my reservation on line, and no upgrade. Called DM desk, and got the same story. "I see you are waitlisted. Should have auto cleared. Sorry. Blah blah blah."

This is one of the many reasons I have EF, because I don't trust Delta's automated system to get things right, especially when I am rolling the bones on a Z = 0 flight. (Yes, I know, there are those of you who will say to only pay M when Z is greater than 0, but business trips are not always so flexible.)

Av8n
Originally Posted by craig44485
+1. Never wait for DL to process it. One time I got the EF alert, called DL, and agent said it would process when it rolled over within the next few hours, pressed her on how long and she said 2 to 3 hours. Checked back in 3 hours and still nothing. Called again and was told not all 3 segments had opened up Z and all 3 needed to do so before the SWU could be processed. (MNL>NRT, NRT>JFK, JFK>PIT) This did not seem right, so I tweeted @DeltaAssist and the person there was able to book me on 2 of the 3 legs, while being on stand-by for the last leg. The main leg I wanted was NRT>JFK which was the one that opened up first, I could live with sitting in the back MNL>NRT or JFK>PIT if it came down to it. It all worked out fine in the end, though for some reason I got the upgrade from my status JFK>PIT and not the SWU, not sure why??
Never wait for the automated system. When you get your notification, call immediately. Otherwise you are playing with fire.

Originally Posted by mnredfox
This just happened to me again, though Mrs. Av8n is flying this time. Woke up, and in my email I have an EF notification that Z had opened. Pulled up the itinerary, and it still says "waitlist requested", and this is 2 hours and 45 minutes after I was notified! Okay, I quickly call Delta, and grab the seat before everyone else wakes up. I asked, and got the same answer as before "it should have cleared, it's all automated." Well, at least Mrs. Av8n will be enjoying sitting up front on the 9 hour flight.

Last edited by LuvAv8n; Oct 14, 2012 at 6:38 am Reason: Need to use that darn spellchecker!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:30 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond

+1. If you know how to send a text surely you can learn how to download twitter on your smart phone and create an account. It is very easy to send a "tweet" and also a DM (direct message). It can prove to be an invaluable tool especially when your at the airport traveling. Give it a chance and see.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Just used another swu yesterday. Took 4 calls to the diamond line. First issue was the wait list flight was not ahead of the coach ticket. This caused the check in process to use my diamond upgrade vs swu upgrade so priority was wrong. They fixed this and unchecked me in so I could run thru the check in process again... once I checked in I found that I was not on the upgrade list at all. This caused 3 more calls to the diamond line to fix. First call I was told I was on the list, even though I can see clearly I was out. Rather then argue I hung up and called again. Second agent said it was fixed now and that I needed to check in again. I did and still was not added to the list. The final call fixed it. Turns out the agent that wait listed me forgot to attach the certificate number and redemption code to the ticket. Thus the system would not process. Once this was fixed I was #1 on the list.

This really needs to get fixed....
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
Originally Posted by ryanfinger
Just used another swu yesterday. Took 4 calls to the diamond line. First issue was the wait list flight was not ahead of the coach ticket. This caused the check in process to use my diamond upgrade vs swu upgrade so priority was wrong. They fixed this and unchecked me in so I could run thru the check in process again... once I checked in I found that I was not on the upgrade list at all. This caused 3 more calls to the diamond line to fix. First call I was told I was on the list, even though I can see clearly I was out. Rather then argue I hung up and called again. Second agent said it was fixed now and that I needed to check in again. I did and still was not added to the list. The final call fixed it. Turns out the agent that wait listed me forgot to attach the certificate number and redemption code to the ticket. Thus the system would not process. Once this was fixed I was #1 on the list.

This really needs to get fixed....
Was this a DL-operated flight or a codeshare? I've only done the standby SWU once and, on that DL-operated flight, my upgrade priority was correct -- the original booking had been done by Chisholm.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Delta operated... dtw to SFO...

I think the biggest issue is that not everyone knows how to execute a swu properly. Now, delta does not make it easy on the agents since its a complicated process. Sounds like a great opportunity to improve process thus improve service. Until that happens, I will just need to continue being an swu "expert" :-)

Stepping off the soapbox.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
mnredfox, what flight were you coming in from for intl? I'm glad you got it fixed by calling, even though it was a long call.

The system will upgrade from the waitlist automatically, however it is not instantly as we've all noticed. In fact, I don't even know how often the sweep runs, since I've seen numerous occasions where I get an EF notice of Z available but DL hasn't cleared me yet, and I've also been cleared where I never got an EF notice and it remains Z0.

The biggest frustration and thing that drives me crazy is that there is still a vast majority of agents who have no clue how to properly enter an SWU, or even know that it is supposed to give higher priority for the airport upgrade list. Even more so is when an agent doesn't even enter the SWU cert number and redemption code in the PNR, which prevents it from being reissued even if you are cleared immediately while on the phone, and also prevents it from giving higher priority.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
SWU + SDC

Has anyone using a SWU that has already cleared and their ticket reissued been able to successfully use SDC and have the SWU apply to their new flight? I'm guessing that once the ticket is reissued, the SWU can't be used again (even for waitlisting at the gate). But the SWU T&Cs don't specifically address SDC. I already realize that you SDC into Y and not F/J, just like for other paid tickets.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SDC is usually voluntary, but I would certainly hope that if someone needs to be rebooked in IROPs, at least they can use the SWU at the gate on the new flight.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You can take the SWU with you to the new flight you SDC'd on, however as you know you would be going back to Y and have to get on the upgrade list. It depends on how good the agent is with re-doing things, and they may have to get someone else to help override.

In case of irrops, when I've have a confirmed upgrade with an SWU I was rebooked directly into F.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by rylan
You can take the SWU with you to the new flight you SDC'd on, however as you know you would be going back to Y and have to get on the upgrade list. It depends on how good the agent is with re-doing things, and they may have to get someone else to help override.
When you were able to do this, were you on the UG list with the correct SWU priority even though your SWU had already been used (i.e., ticket reissued) for the original flight?

Originally Posted by rylan
In case of irrops, when I've have a confirmed upgrade with an SWU I was rebooked directly into F.
This has been my experience as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.