Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWU madness....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2012, 4:30 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mnredfox

Well DL had 11 open seats and finally at T minus 3 days opened up 2 Z (got my EF notification). But what was more troubling was after a few hours of Z opening up I did not clear. So I call the DL DM line and they manually cleared me and reissued the ticket. As soon as that was done I checked EF and sure enough, Z=1 (DM agent also confirmed 2 open before she cleared me, 1 after).

I thought this is supposed to be automated. So are you telling me a PM on an M fare if he/she called in earlier could have snagged those seats away from a waitlisted DM on Y?

DM agent says I was "supposed" to clear by priority, but mentioned that if I didn't clear the only possible explanation was that someone else was waitlisted. But if that was the case, why didn't anyone clear and Z sit open for over 3 hours?

Great job for automation DL.
Same experience on my last international flight. Saw J8, so figured Z would eventually open up. Got my EF notification, looked at my reservation on line, and no upgrade. Called DM desk, and got the same story. "I see you are waitlisted. Should have auto cleared. Sorry. Blah blah blah."

This is one of the many reasons I have EF, because I don't trust Delta's automated system to get things right, especially when I am rolling the bones on a Z = 0 flight. (Yes, I know, there are those of you who will say to only pay M when Z is greater than 0, but business trips are not always so flexible.)

Av8n
Old Oct 13, 2012, 5:17 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by goodandclassy
...after having paid up and sat in the back for two transcons...
Slippery Jeff Robertson and the entire SkyPesos team thank you for your patronage; it is their brilliant marketing efforts that drives this behavior.

Please keep it Up

Last edited by Sabai; Oct 13, 2012 at 1:47 pm
Old Oct 13, 2012, 5:30 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by LuvAv8n
Same experience on my last international flight. Saw J8, so figured Z would eventually open up. Got my EF notification, looked at my reservation on line, and no upgrade. Called DM desk, and got the same story. "I see you are waitlisted. Should have auto cleared. Sorry. Blah blah blah."

This is one of the many reasons I have EF, because I don't trust Delta's automated system to get things right, especially when I am rolling the bones on a Z = 0 flight. (Yes, I know, there are those of you who will say to only pay M when Z is greater than 0, but business trips are not always so flexible.)

Av8n
^+1. Never wait for DL to process it. One time I got the EF alert, called DL, and agent said it would process when it rolled over within the next few hours, pressed her on how long and she said 2 to 3 hours. Checked back in 3 hours and still nothing. Called again and was told not all 3 segments had opened up Z and all 3 needed to do so before the SWU could be processed. (MNL>NRT, NRT>JFK, JFK>PIT) This did not seem right, so I tweeted @DeltaAssist and the person there was able to book me on 2 of the 3 legs, while being on stand-by for the last leg. The main leg I wanted was NRT>JFK which was the one that opened up first, I could live with sitting in the back MNL>NRT or JFK>PIT if it came down to it. It all worked out fine in the end, though for some reason I got the upgrade from my status JFK>PIT and not the SWU, not sure why??
Old Oct 13, 2012, 6:21 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
I just had one of my best SWU experiences yet. I had 1 left that expires in less than a wwek.

I SDC onto a redeye out of SFO, i was #1 on the list for 2 spots as a Diamond at 2 hrs on a M fare. At checkin at 75 minutes i went to 3 with only 1 seat left. So i called the Diamond line had them reference the SWU on was told to have the airport activate it. After about 10 minutes a 4th agent came over and knew how to properly activate it. Taking me off the Up3D list waitlisting the SWU and boom it went to a UP2A priority and moved to #1 on the list. I did get the last spot.

I thought 3 hours was the cutoff for SWU. But that might be for Diamond line, @Deltassit to be able to activate it. under 3 hours the airport has to activate it.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by craig44485
It all worked out fine in the end, though for some reason I got the upgrade from my status JFK>PIT and not the SWU, not sure why??
Because DL opened V but not G on your flight. I've had that happen too.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
+1 Normally, before the window opens, V=G. However, once the window opens, it seems G generally goes to 0. Hence, status will generally get you a seat, not the G portion.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Well the SWU woes continue. In my case I got lucky (much due to EF). Had two international segments. First (shorter one) cleared, the second TPAC leg did not as there was no Z. Fine, I'll take my dice with Z opening up.

Well DL had 11 open seats and finally at T minus 3 days opened up 2 Z (got my EF notification). But what was more troubling was after a few hours of Z opening up I did not clear. So I call the DL DM line and they manually cleared me and reissued the ticket. As soon as that was done I checked EF and sure enough, Z=1 (DM agent also confirmed 2 open before she cleared me, 1 after).

I thought this is supposed to be automated. So are you telling me a PM on an M fare if he/she called in earlier could have snagged those seats away from a waitlisted DM on Y?

DM agent says I was "supposed" to clear by priority, but mentioned that if I didn't clear the only possible explanation was that someone else was waitlisted. But if that was the case, why didn't anyone clear and Z sit open for over 3 hours?

Great job for automation DL.

Oh, and it took 22 min to reissue the ticket. On an international call. Thanks DL.
Never wait for the automated system. When you get your notification, call immediately. Otherwise you are playing with fire.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Up until the gate, SWU/miles and free upgrades book into different upgrade inventory classes. I'm guessing that the JFK-PIT cleared between T-6 days and T- 3 hours.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Never wait for the automated system. When you get your notification, call immediately. Otherwise you are playing with fire.
This is one of the main reasons we have EF alerts and know now to trust DL to manage this for us.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: DAL-PM
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
The same happened to me, and was told by 4 seperate individuals at Delta that full Y is before SWU's.

This whole UP2A priority is FT folklore. Someone stated it as true and everyone believes it. There never has been any proof of actual Delta policy to this point.
Here you go....the first few upgrade priorities as copied from TravelNet.

6 UP1 RS CUSTOMERS WHO PAID FOR A HIGHER FIRST OR BUSINESS CLASS FARE BUT ARE NOT CONFIRMED IN THE FORWARD CABIN AND DESIRING AN UPGRADE

7 UP2A RS DL RESERVE DM / DM PASSENGER BOOKED IN Y/B/M/H/Q/K AND DESIRINGTO USE A SYSTEMWIDE UPGRADE TO FIRST OR BUSINESS CABIN.

8 UP2B RS DL RESERVE PM / PM PASSENGER BOOKED IN Y/B/M/H/Q/K AND DESIRINGTO USE A SYSTEMWIDE UPGRADE TO FIRST OR BUSINESS CABIN.

9 UP2 RS AF AND KL ELITES AND DL MEDALLIONSON Y FARES DESIRING COMP MEDALLIONUPGRADE TO FIRST/BUSINESS CLASS

10 UP3D RS DL RESERVE DM / DM PASSENGER IN B/M/H/Q/K/L/U/T/E CONFIRMED IN COACH AND DESIRING COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE TO FIRST OR BUSINESS CABIN INCLUDING YCA FARES

This week I had an agent tell me that SWU usage does not change my priority and i would not be getting the last seat due to the fact that a DM was taking it. I later checked Travelnet and found that I had not been coded properly and the DM had not used a SWU. The agent was wrong and I wrote a letter to DL. They gave me 5500 miles. I will write them everytime they screw this up until it is fixed.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by sushi lover

6 UP1 RS CUSTOMERS WHO PAID FOR A HIGHER FIRST OR BUSINESS CLASS FARE BUT ARE NOT CONFIRMED IN THE FORWARD CABIN AND DESIRING AN UPGRADE

7 UP2A RS DL RESERVE DM / DM PASSENGER BOOKED IN Y/B/M/H/Q/K AND DESIRINGTO USE A SYSTEMWIDE UPGRADE TO FIRST OR BUSINESS CABIN.

8 UP2B RS DL RESERVE PM / PM PASSENGER BOOKED IN Y/B/M/H/Q/K AND DESIRINGTO USE A SYSTEMWIDE UPGRADE TO FIRST OR BUSINESS CABIN.

9 UP2 RS AF AND KL ELITES AND DL MEDALLIONSON Y FARES DESIRING COMP MEDALLIONUPGRADE TO FIRST/BUSINESS CLASS

10 UP3D RS DL RESERVE DM / DM PASSENGER IN B/M/H/Q/K/L/U/T/E CONFIRMED IN COACH AND DESIRING COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE TO FIRST OR BUSINESS CABIN INCLUDING YCA FARES

This week I had an agent tell me that SWU usage does not change my priority and i would not be getting the last seat due to the fact that a DM was taking it. I later checked Travelnet and found that I had not been coded properly and the DM had not used a SWU. The agent was wrong and I wrote a letter to DL. They gave me 5500 miles. I will write them everytime they screw this up until it is fixed.
You should indeed do that, but you should also have called your elite line or tweeted to have your SWU coded properly. You should ALSO complain about the poorly trained GA.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz

This is very helpful. Thanks.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think the problem might in addition go deeper than DL agents not knowing how to properly apply SWUs. Specifically, I suspect that around day-of-departure or during OLCI something can happen which causes a properly coded SWU to revert to having something wrong.

I had a case where the SWU did seem to be done right: another segment was upgraded at ticketing and the ticket was reissued with no obvious problem, plus the upgrade waitlist showed correctly as the first line on my itinerary. Nevertheless, if I hadn't noticed being slightly lower than I had anticipated on the gate standby upgrade list and hadn't insisted on this being corrected, I would have been UP3D rather than UP2A.

Since AFAIK no human touched the reservation and there was no schedule change on my itinerary, I think there might be a systems error somewhere that causes this phenomenon.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Originally Posted by Sabai
Slippery Jeff Robertson and the entire SkyPesos team thank you for your patronage; it is their brilliant marketing efforts that drives this behavior.

Please keep it Up
Haha, indeed. In this case though, I am leaning toward the good ol' 'fool me once; fool me twice' I don't see a need to pay up and ride in the back when a T fare will do

Originally Posted by craig44485
for some reason I got the upgrade from my status JFK>PIT and not the SWU, not sure why??
My guess is the coding may not have been done right and you had the comp upgrade request activated (and trumping) the SWU upgrade request...

Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
I just had one of my best SWU experiences yet.
Bouncing around multiple agents and lines of communication is not something i'd define as a 'best experience'. Seems pretty BAU for us Delta flyers though. I am glad it worked out! That's always a sweet feeling, especially when a last seat is involved

Thanks for this! Do people at the airport have access to travelnet? How could I refer them to said list when needed?

Also, good approach on complaining until they get it right. Squeaky wheel, etc...
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: DAL-PM
Originally Posted by HongKonger
You should indeed do that, but you should also have called your elite line or tweeted to have your SWU coded properly. You should ALSO complain about the poorly trained GA.
I called the Medallion line initially to put the SWU coupon into use. According to a gate agent they cannot do it at the airport. My complaint to DL included the fact that in two attempts to use an SWU in my short time as PM, I have run into 3 agents that did not know the benefits of the SWU or how to use them. I do not know how to "tweet", or have any desire to learn.

The SWUs are a big benefit to me. I always buy my tix less than 24 hours out, so almost always the upgrades are all given out and there are only 2 or 3 seats left. I will use an SWU on longer flights to put me over any DMs on the list. I will not accept DL not knowing what they are doing with these things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.