Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWU madness....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM
When all this works and you are #1 out of 67 with 2 seats available on a Monday morning LAX-ATL and you're on a K fare, you just can’t stop smiling…

Having to jump through the long list of hoops outlined here to enjoy one of the true, IMO, benefits of being a PM or DM, however, makes my head explode.

DL, it shouldn’t be this hard.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:59 am
mpp

Wish me luck; I'm going to try using an SWU for the first time on an LAX-MIA red-eye.

I am still confused on one point though. I am within the window for a platinum upgrade and have not gotten it.

Should I apply the SWU now, or wait until T-24 hours? I don't want to waste it if I will get the complimentary upgrade anyway, say at T-48 hours (which seem to happen to me often).
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Thanks ryanfinger and LedgeT for the very useful information.
I checked my itinerary and the G waitlist for SWU upgrade does for now appear on top of Y seat with comp upgrade request.
It's a Y fare with SWU, I sure hope I will be near the top of the list ;-)
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Does anyone know how this works in an SDC situation? Yesterday I was on SFO>LAX>ATL with both segments upgraded using an SWU, not waitlisted.

I wanted to change to SFO>ATL direct, but was afraid that I would lose my SWU and not have priority on the new flight.

I assumed that my SWU would follow me to the new flight and I would be prioritized based on that, but all of the agents - SC or Diamond Line - seemed to think that I would go back on the normal upgrade list.

Anyone tried this and can give me advice?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I thought once you were confirmed with an SWU you lost it if you tried to change or SDC... if you are wait listed, not confirmed in F, you have not "used" the cert and it can be moved... I could be wrong though... I know if you have a flight cancel delta will rebook in F if available. At least that is my experience...
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by mpp
Wish me luck; I'm going to try using an SWU for the first time on an LAX-MIA red-eye.

I am still confused on one point though. I am within the window for a platinum upgrade and have not gotten it.

Should I apply the SWU now, or wait until T-24 hours? I don't want to waste it if I will get the complimentary upgrade anyway, say at T-48 hours (which seem to happen to me often).
According to the post #16 in this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...upgrade-2.html

"I believe it's about an hour or so before the flight that you need to call in to get the SWU going. I've done exactly that a few times in the past as I'll get to the gate, see the GIDS and that I'm not in 1st place then call in the SWU to hop to the top of the list."
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:48 am
mpp

Thanks everybody for help in deciphering the confusing Delta SWU.

This thread needs to be stickied or at least prominently linked in the stickied Delta FAQ thread (which is terribly out of date now). It is important and useful information and what makes these types of on-line communities so worthwhile.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
And yet, on a recent SLC-JFK flight, I was confirmed (several times) at UP2A, but was still #5 on the list (on a wed 5pm flight), and was told that those ahead of me were full Y. Sat in the back.
Keep in mind that when you use priority WL (for SWU use) you will have two segments showing. One will be your coach class (eg YBMH etc) which will be requesting a V upgrade.

The other will show G class (for domestic SWU). You need to make sure that the correct code is assigned correctly for the right segment.

For instance, if you're DM and you have UP2A-DM on your V class, it's still coded incorrectly. You need to make sure UP2A-DM is attached to the G segment.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA PlatPro, DL PM, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mnredfox
For instance, if you're DM and you have UP2A-DM on your V class, it's still coded incorrectly. You need to make sure UP2A-DM is attached to the G segment.
Note that the coding is actually just "UP2A" -- there is no "-DM" component part of it.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:53 pm

Keep in mind that when you use priority WL (for SWU use) you will have two segments showing. One will be your coach class (eg YBMH etc) which will be requesting a V upgrade.

The other will show G class (for domestic SWU). You need to make sure that the correct code is assigned correctly for the right segment.

So if UP2A is coding for a DM requesting SWU upgrade, which can only clear into G, why the IT system would allow to attach it by mistake to V upgrade? One would think that the system should be able to restrict SWU to G, no?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA PlatPro, DL PM, UA Silver
Originally Posted by vgb2001
So if UP2A is coding for a DM requesting SWU upgrade, which can only clear into G, why the IT system would allow to attach it by mistake to V upgrade? One would think that the system should be able to restrict SWU to G, no?
You do realize we are talking about DeltaMatic here???? What is logical doesn't apply to that system...
Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:07 am

Programs: DM/3MM

I did have both segments showing, but I didn't specifically ask about UP2A being attached to the G segment...I had only asked if it was there in my record as part of the SWU. (which of course should have been tied to the G segment...but who knows).

But I agree with AJDelvarno. This shouldn't be this hard.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:58 am

So I'm currently waitlisted for a flight in 10 days. My itinerary show wait list for G and below, Y (fare class) with upgrad request.
Let me know if I'm worng but I would assume that just seeing this on my itinerary should make me confident that 1. an SWU has been applied and therefore there is a UP2B (plat) applied somewhere and 2. because it says G waitlist, this UP2B is attached to G. Right?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Very confused

I am now very confused as folks are using different terms in this thread.

I currently am waitlisted as a PM for a Z SWU btw JFK-SFO.

My reservations appears as follows:

First flight listed is waitlisted flight.

JFK to SFO/ Date
5:30 JFK 9:14p SFONonstop 6h44m DL6 Business(Z)Select Seats UpgradeReq
Terminaal 2 Waitlisted

JFK to SFO/ Date
5:30 JFK 9:14p SFO Nonstop 6h44m DL6 Economy(K) 21C UpradeReq

Should the Z upgrade segment say upgrade requested, should it say priority waitlist?

Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
And yet, on a recent SLC-JFK flight, I was confirmed (several times) at UP2A, but was still #5 on the list (on a wed 5pm flight), and was told that those ahead of me were full Y. Sat in the back.

The same happened to me, and was told by 4 seperate individuals at Delta that full Y is before SWU's.

This whole UP2A priority is FT folklore. Someone stated it as true and everyone believes it. There never has been any proof of actual Delta policy to this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.