Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Difference between Premium Economy and Economy Comfort

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Difference between Premium Economy and Economy Comfort

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:20 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I got lots of my CDG transit advice on the Flying Blue board, and info on the PV seats etc. Many people don't like the seats, but most comparisons seemed to be against business class seats. Well sure they're not going to be that good. But for us -the seats were enough better than coach for my husband to sleep the entire TATL portion of the trip, which has never happened before. And I liked the extra arm space, plus the 2-4-2 configuration we had is really nice for couples.
I flew PV on a DCA-ATL-CDG-BKK-PNH-CDG-ATL-DCA trip last fall and the PV seats are pretty thinly padded. But they are the "slide down" type which means that when the seat in front is reclined, it doesn't take any of your space. It is a separate cabin and you get the nicer pillow/duvet. Food is coach.
In some cases, not a bad deal considering that you earn a 50% eqm bonus and a 25% base mile bonus. And yes, if you book into the right fare class and their is O availability you can upgrade TransAtlantic for 15,000 miles each way. Difficult to do, but possible.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 4:18 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
AF recently improved the catering of premium economy. the starter and dessert is different from Y while the main course is the same. Chocolates are served after the meal service.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: DL
Smile

PV is much bettere than economy. Especially if there are 2 of you and you get the 2 seats by the window. The space is your own, as the seats don't recline, but the seat cushion, slides in the seat shell. We couldn't afford business class, but we could easily afford PV, and it has spoiled us and we beleive it is worth every penny. Much better than economy!
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: DL
Smile

PV is much better than economy. Especially if there are 2 of you and you get the 2 seats by the window. The space is your own, as the seats don't recline, but the seat cushion, slides in the seat shell. We couldn't afford business class, but we could easily afford PV, and it has spoiled us and we beleive it is worth every penny. Much better than economy!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, SPG Gold
Looking at flying AF Premium Economy JFK > CDG > BKK in November. There is a $500 or so difference booking AF Premium Economy and DL Economy Comfort.

Two questions:
1. Is the $500 worth it? If it means I can get decent/comfortable sleep, $500 is worth it to me.

2. As a DL Gold Medallion (and Reserve Card member) would booking AF Premium Economy give me a chance at upgrading (with DL miles?) to Business?

Thank you!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by handra36
Looking at flying AF Premium Economy JFK > CDG > BKK in November. There is a $500 or so difference booking AF Premium Economy and DL Economy Comfort.

Two questions:
1. Is the $500 worth it? If it means I can get decent/comfortable sleep, $500 is worth it to me.

2. As a DL Gold Medallion (and Reserve Card member) would booking AF Premium Economy give me a chance at upgrading (with DL miles?) to Business?

Thank you!
FYI the JFK >CDG >BKK is fare class A
BKK > CDG > JFK is fare class S
Old Aug 13, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
PE on AF is a separate cabin -- 3 rows on the 777 I think. Seat pitch is 38" and the width is 19". There are one or two fewer seats across a row in PE. On the 777 PE is 2-4-2 where regular coach on AF is 3-4-3 and on DL 3-3-3.
AF PE seats recline by sliding down so the person in front doesn't recline into your space, but they are not very well padded.
But the real bonuses are the 25% base miles bonus and 50% MQM bonus that you earn with an PE ticket on AF http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ir-france.html and the stopovers in Europe.
Technically, if there is availability, S and W (I think this is an intra-Europe class) are upgradeable with miles -- you need to find an agent who understands the SkyTeam upgrade rules. A is not upgradeable. (I think I got that right.) I managed to upgrade with miles for 1 leg once.
I'm flying my 3rd trip to Asia this way and have stopped over in a European destination on the return each time for little extra. Generally can book US to Asia to Europe and back for $2400 to $2600. (Leaving next week -- DCA-ATL-CDG-PVG ground CAN-CDG-KBP-CDG-DTW-DCA with stays in Shanghan, Guangzhou, and Kiev.)
It think AF PE is a great deal, can you tell?
Assume your trip to BKK on DL would be across the Pacific.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by mot29
PE on AF is a separate cabin -- 3 rows on the 777 I think. Seat pitch is 38" and the width is 19". There are one or two fewer seats across a row in PE. On the 777 PE is 2-4-2 where regular coach on AF is 3-4-3 and on DL 3-3-3.
AF PE seats recline by sliding down so the person in front doesn't recline into your space, but they are not very well padded.
But the real bonuses are the 25% base miles bonus and 50% MQM bonus that you earn with an PE ticket on AF http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ir-france.html and the stopovers in Europe.
Technically, if there is availability, S and W (I think this is an intra-Europe class) are upgradeable with miles -- you need to find an agent who understands the SkyTeam upgrade rules. A is not upgradeable. (I think I got that right.) I managed to upgrade with miles for 1 leg once.
I'm flying my 3rd trip to Asia this way and have stopped over in a European destination on the return each time for little extra. Generally can book US to Asia to Europe and back for $2400 to $2600. (Leaving next week -- DCA-ATL-CDG-PVG ground CAN-CDG-KBP-CDG-DTW-DCA with stays in Shanghan, Guangzhou, and Kiev.)
It think AF PE is a great deal, can you tell?
Assume your trip to BKK on DL would be across the Pacific.
Thanks. You sold me...I'm going to go for it. At least for the S fare for now.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: Delta, HH Diamond, Marriott, AA Gold
Much better than Coach

I just completed flying several segments on AF in Premium Economy. Overall it is much better experience given the separate cabin and the hard shell that ensures your personal space. The base miles and MQM bonus is nice too. In regard to sleeping it depends...... if you can get one of the bulkhead Economy Comfort seats with lots of legroom, you may want to consider saving the $500 and have a seat that is padded. While some folks may disagree, the general consensus is that the AF PE seats are not very comfortable for sleeping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.