Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Will Delta match United's Free GE

I spotted this over in the United Forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17146342-post24.html

That seems like a pretty good perk.

Perhaps DL could make it one of the Medallion Choice Benefits?

MO
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by MachOne

MO
It would be nice, but I doubt it....
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta -DM"working on KM" Hhonors-Gold Priorityclub- Plat
Maybe they could at least add it to Skymiles marketplace...
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
GE costs $150. Not really THAT good of a perk and only valuable to folks who do a lot of international travel.

That said, I have both Global Entry and NEXUS and believe they have nothing short of revolutionized my life. Never having to stand in crazy long immigration lines upon reentry makes life a little nicer.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
GE costs $150. Not really THAT good of a perk and only valuable to folks who do a lot of international travel.
As of March 8, when I applied, the GE fee was $100.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MachOne

MO
Global Elite inflation! Rabble rabble rabble rabble

Never have had a problem waiting for a GE kiosk, but I wonder what the tipping point will be, amount of users increasing the wait (if at all) at the GE kiosks
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:37 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Why would DL do that? Their owner company has already a rebate in stock for exactly that purpose. With an Amex Plat or Reserve, you can get reimbursed for (I think) up to $200 in travel-related expenditure, such as GE, bag fees, etc.

All that I suspect them to do is probably making that "perk" more visible to the public, while hiding the fact that you need to shell out significant money in fees.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:40 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by pokeable
Global Elite inflation! Rabble rabble rabble rabble

Never have had a problem waiting for a GE kiosk, but I wonder what the tipping point will be, amount of users increasing the wait (if at all) at the GE kiosks
Last week in DTW, one of the two kiosks was broken and it was much quicker to go to the booth. There were about ten pax in front of me from an earlier flight. The problem with the working machine was caused by bad maintenance, however, since I always swipe the fingerprint glass before touching it, things speeded up afterwards.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by c_d
Why would DL do that? Their owner company has already a rebate in stock for exactly that purpose. With an Amex Plat or Reserve, you can get reimbursed for (I think) up to $200 in travel-related expenditure, such as GE, bag fees, etc.

All that I suspect them to do is probably making that "perk" more visible to the public, while hiding the fact that you need to shell out significant money in fees.
1. It is $100
2. AMEX Platinum picks up the tab for GE in addition to the $200 travel expenses (i.e. the $100 fee does not eat in to your yearly $200 allotment)
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold   |   Former: DL Diamond, HA Pualani Gold
Could they be doing this to avoid having to upgrade their computer systems to accommodate the new TSA trusted traveler program?

Right now, AA and DL have an advantage in that their elites can zip through security in a number of airports. Global Entry, is an alternative way of qualifying for the TSA trusted traveler program, and it would allow UA's elites to get the same treatment without any computer changes.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Meh, I applied for GE last week for $100. I haven't traveled internationally since 2009. I read about "trusted traveler" program coming to IND later this year and decided it was worth the money to get my redress number now. I'm not sure why the airlines should be subsidizing it...
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by azeckel
Meh, I applied for GE last week for $100. I haven't traveled internationally since 2009. I read about "trusted traveler" program coming to IND later this year and decided it was worth the money to get my redress number now. I'm not sure why the airlines should be subsidizing it...
If you don't mind my asking, why do you need a redress number?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 2:04 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jkatzen
Could they be doing this to avoid having to upgrade their computer systems to accommodate the new TSA trusted traveler program?

Right now, AA and DL have an advantage in that their elites can zip through security in a number of airports. Global Entry, is an alternative way of qualifying for the TSA trusted traveler program, and it would allow UA's elites to get the same treatment without any computer changes.
I believe UA has similar capability. All airlines are required to transmit secure flight data, including any known traveler number to the TSA in advance of the flight. DL and AA just offer access to the pre-check lane to their elites for free. I do know that the TSA recently announced that UA will be added this year too.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:36 am

Programs: DL DM/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by azeckel
If you're talking about the new TSA PreCheck lines opening up, you don't need a redress #. I don't have one and have already been selected when flying out of ATL and DTW. You just need to make sure your Secure Flight Passenger Data is set on your DL.com profile. That being said, I doubt a redress # would hurt.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by milehighflyer
If you're talking about the new TSA PreCheck lines opening up, you don't need a redress #. I don't have one and have already been selected when flying out of ATL and DTW. You just need to make sure your Secure Flight Passenger Data is set on your DL.com profile. That being said, I doubt a redress # would hurt.
I probably got my terms wrong. I have the understanding that to qualify for trusted traveler it is the same process as GE. I just applied last week so I haven't gotten anything yet, but I thought there was some number or info i have to put in DLs system to qualify. I'm guessing redress number is something different ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.