help plan my post bar exam trip!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

help plan my post bar exam trip!

[edited]

Last edited by nyc711; Nov 28, 2023 at 11:21 am
Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Originally Posted by nyc711
hello flyertalkers! i am a current FO with approx 115k skymiles to burn. i am also a graduating student planning a blowout trip post bar exam before i have to work forever and ever to pay off student loans. that's where you come in:

i have never once redeemed Delta miles for an award, and I'm ready to pretty much blow them all on a 2-4 week trip in August (either on a single business/First ticket for myself, or 2 coach tickets for me and a friend)--especially since the rumors started that DL is about to gut the program. i'm not asking for somebody to serve as my travel agent, but just for any great/creative ideas as to how to best make use of these miles. PMs welcome, but i think it could also be nice to post on the board for others who may be considering the same thing. top destinations include Australia/NZ, patagonia, central america. but i'm all ears if you've got a better idea.

if people think this it too broad a posting for this forum, please let me know and i'll remove.
I hate to burst your bubble, but from what you're describing, I think you're going to have a tough time getting what you are thinking of.

First of all, when it comes to that kind of Award ticket, you really should have started (and completed) your search a long time ago - like, months ago.

At this point, you have to act fast, and obviously you will have to be flexible. Just keep on putting in different combinations in the Award ticket reservation system, and don't lose hope.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Since finding proper availability is such a crapshoot, why not just check a bunch of destinations on a bunch of dates, and redeem for whatever seems best to you?

You might actually do well with premium cabin redemption, but only if you wait until much closer to your trip. That said, which is more important... being in J for several hours, or having a friend with you for several days?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Australia and NZ...hands down. Oh wait....August? Hmmm.....well, its better in their summer, but still amazing!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Roatan, Honduras if you're a diver.

100K out of LGA in F end of August Thurs-Sun arrivals and departures.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
I agree that since you're so flexible, just see where you can find seats and go. The big tip I've got is to be sure to maximize your miles by including a stopover and/or open jaw. Once you get over the ocean, trains and LCCs can help you get around quite cheaply.

I loved Oz and am working on a combo DL and AA award to get to NZ and Asia in one trip. However, keep in mind that SW Pacific is 150K in biz, and it's too long for coach in my mind (and the J flights are a fun part of the trip to me). I'd probably look at getting to 120K for Asia (MU flies to JFK, as does KE but they will probably be blacked out on your dates). If you want a friend along, look to Central America if just using your miles.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bennos
Since finding proper availability is such a crapshoot, why not just check a bunch of destinations on a bunch of dates, and redeem for whatever seems best to you?
Good advice. I'll add that three comprehensive award searches (see the Denolloyd sticky at top) are, IMHO, more likely to yield low-band award tickets than 30 half-vast searches.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Congratulations on graduating!

You may want to consider some mileage accumulation strategies... I know you're a student, but if you have good credit it may be worth signing up for one or two cards to lift your balances quickly. (There's loads of information on FT and other sites to help you with this.)

Also, if your family is looking for a gift I believe Delta allows family members to transfer miles for a fee that is around 1 cent per mile -- not ideal, but 50k-100k miles could be a more useful gift to you than the usual graduation gifts!

Beyond that I agree with a prior poster. Plan the big international legs, possibly even arriving and departing out of different cities/countries on two one ways if Delta allows it (ie: into London and out of Rome) and leave lots of time in between so you can explore and have fun as there are lots of cheap ways to get around intra-Europe, intra-Asia, etc.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 7:51 am
Original Poster

thanks all for your advice! i found (miraculously, maybe) availability in coach jfk-syd on delta in august roundtrip, but i like the idea of perhaps waiting until the last minute to see what J availability opens up and go somewhere new. appreciate the help.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
thanks all for your advice! i found (miraculously, maybe) availability in coach jfk-syd on delta in august roundtrip, but i like the idea of perhaps waiting until the last minute to see what J availability opens up and go somewhere new. appreciate the help.
Dublin Ireland in August is awesome. Could also get London in - or Amsterdam
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I agree that since you're so flexible, just see where you can find seats and go. The big tip I've got is to be sure to maximize your miles by including a stopover and/or open jaw. Once you get over the ocean, trains and LCCs can help you get around quite cheaply.

I loved Oz and am working on a combo DL and AA award to get to NZ and Asia in one trip. However, keep in mind that SW Pacific is 150K in biz, and it's too long for coach in my mind (and the J flights are a fun part of the trip to me). I'd probably look at getting to 120K for Asia (MU flies to JFK, as does KE but they will probably be blacked out on your dates). If you want a friend along, look to Central America if just using your miles.
KE via YYZ should be easier (but keep in mind they don't use the 388)
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I would rather take KE than DL though, so I would keep checking for them.
CI, CZ, MU charge YQ.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:11 pm

I'm doing a similar thing in June after I finish taking my specialty boards. Going to BEY on AF for 10 days with a side trip to CAI (paid on MS).

After two weeks after I get back from that, I also booked HNL for a long weekend (UA award).
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Congrats on almost being done and taking the bar.

I never did a post-bar trip. The judge I clerked for wanted me early. The day after the bar I was in a moving van to get to my new city ASAP and started my clerkship the next Monday.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
my post-bar trip was to Spain and Morocco. Of course, I graduated in a different economy (the good ol' days). Post-bar is perfect time to visit Spain. Madrid will be empty, so you only have to battle the other tourists for museums and stuff, but Barcelona will be full of people and fun (fun clubbing).

Also highly recommend Croatia. I don't know if you can Skyteam to Split or Dubrovnik, but you can always get a LCC intra-europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.