Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone have luck with DL Lost & Found? (non-luggage)

Old Mar 21, 12, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Gold (earned), AS, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Five Star

For the first time in my life I've lost my keys.

After parking at LAX, I flew the nonstop LAX-MIA red-eye, had a morning meeting in Miami, then took a noon MIA-ATL flight, hung out in the B25 SC for a little, then flew ATL-LAX.

It was on that last flight I realized my keys were missing.

Most likely they either slipped out of my pocket while I was sleeping on the red-eye or were left at a TSA checkpoint in LAX or MIA.

I've left reports with LAX-TSA Lost & Found, MIA lost and found (apparently at MIA, TSA turns over lost items to the airport) and all my colleagues in Miami.

But for DL, there's no human I can talk to regarding lost and found. I can't even make a quick call to the ATL B25 SC and ask if anyone turned any keys in. I was told to fill out of form online and I did that. It's a bit disconcerting simply using an online form and submitting a report with an organization that I've experience troubled IT problems with and getting no confirmation of my report.

Just to put my mind a little at ease, has anyone had any success on recovering lost items after leaving a report on DL.com? Any more suggestions will be helpful.
Old Mar 21, 12, 11:45 am

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Yes, I left something in the overhead last year ewr-atl, didn't even have contact info on it. I emailed delta lost and found, said it could be in ear, maybe atl, then found out after atl the plane went to car, emailed delta again, said it might be there. I described what kt looked like. I was panicking and just hoping it'd be found. 2 days later, they called me saying they found it

Check this out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...m-success.html

Last edited by mendel k; Mar 21, 12 at 11:55 am
Old Mar 21, 12, 2:42 pm

I know what you are going through with Delta. But though my case ended well, it may not bode well for yours.

Last summer (2011), on arrival in Denver for a few days, I inadvertently left a book in the seat back in front of my seat. (I know--just a book, but it was also one that was being used in some research, with notes in the margins, etc.) I realized that I had left the book on the plane only after we exited the airport and we were in the rental car. We called Delta immediately (using the medallion number) and got hold of a person who told us to fill out a lost and found report, available on line. This person also said that he was filing a report and would try to call the gate agent back at the airport. Once at a computer terminal, we did file a report.

Did we hear anything? No. Not by e-mail and not by phone. Nothing.

However, when we returned to the airport for our trip home, I inquired at the ticket counter about "Lost and Found": I was referred to the lost baggage desk and so I went there. A person was working there who said "We have lots of stuff here and I don't see a book." Well not willing to take her word for it, I asked if I could look through the boxes. She let me do so, and whaddya know: There was my book.

I fear that this may not be any consolation, but perhaps if you can get hold of someone in the airport lost and found, you might have luck.
Old Mar 21, 12, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Gold (earned), AS, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by heathe View Post
I know what you are going through with Delta. But though my case ended well, it may not bode well for yours...

I fear that this may not be any consolation, but perhaps if you can get hold of someone in the airport lost and found, you might have luck.
I'm operating under the assumption they won't be found or, even if they are, they won't be matched with my missing item report.

They could've been lost on two different flights and those ships could go anywhere. When I arrived at LAX I was too busy making frantic calls arranging my spare home keys to be delivered as the business day was nearing an end, I didn't have time to go to the SC, although that probably would've been a good idea. I was quite annoyed I couldn't just call the ATL SC I had just been at a few hours before and ask if anything had been turned in. That would've helped.

Early detection of a missing item boasts your chances of getting it back tremendously. I usually put my keys in a zipped pocket in my carry-ons just after I leave my car for the terminal. For some reason I didn't do that and just left them in my pocket.
Old Mar 21, 12, 3:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I wasn't lucky--lost an expensive bracelet in the Sky Club or walking to the plane in MSP---filled out report--made lots of calls---never was found. Good luck finding your keys!!
Old Apr 4, 12, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Turns out DL Lost & Found was irrelevant. LAX Lost & Found called me today to "open" the case and after describing the keys and where I think I left them (T6 security), the guy found them! Yep, I left the keys in a security tray at the trip get-go. I wish I had this news two weeks ago before I began the process of replacing the keys - it cost me about $75 (copies of car transponder keys aren't cheap).

At first the guy the didn't believe I was in T6 because he thought ALL DL flights leave T5 and I had to educate him on that.
Old Apr 4, 12, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Oakshadow View Post
Turns out DL Lost & Found was irrelevant. LAX Lost & Found called me today to "open" the case and after describing the keys and where I think I left them (T6 security), the guy found them! Yep, I left the keys in a security tray at the trip get-go. I wish I had this news two weeks ago before I began the process of replacing the keys - it cost me about $75 (copies of car transponder keys aren't cheap).

At first the guy the didn't believe I was in T6 because he thought ALL DL flights leave T5 and I had to educate him on that.
Awesome to hear!

My wife actually left her iPhone on a plane a few months ago and remarkably when I flew through ATL about a week later, I stopped by DLs lost and found (outside security right at the far end of baggage claim, almost at the exit to go to car rentals, hotel shuttles, MARTA) and someone sorted through a box of like 100 iPhones and located my wifes. I was in shock but I think that is the way to go if you are passing through ATL, just see an actual person, describe the item and have them search for it.

Search this Thread