Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare Class E finally answered??

Basic Economy Fare Class E finally answered??

Old Mar 21, 12, 9:32 am
  #91  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SEA
Posts: 12,485
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
OK... here we go... Following is my original post that prompted your usual "defend DL management at any cost" responses.

"My bet..." Is that not adequate to communicate to you that my post was of a speculative or predictive basis? Not an assertion of fact?

In what way was was I "Attempting to position [my] assumptions as facts"?

Those of your ilk who can only sustain their position in a debate by falsely attributing statements to others are becoming so tiresome.

But, please... I'd like to hear your response. More often than not, when caught in a contradiction like this, you folks just tend to fade away, and move to another topic.
While often of a contrary opinion, I like to think my statements are based on facts and data, rather than rampant speculation about what might happen.

Also, folks tend to fade away and move to another topic because its infuriating and pointless to continue refuting insipid drivel.
sxf24 is offline  
Old Mar 21, 12, 9:47 am
  #92  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Posts: 12,308
Originally Posted by rwoman View Post
This is the feedback I received from DL customer service (via email) regarding seat assignment on E fares:
"Your seat will be auto-assigned when you check in for a flight via delta.com or any Delta airport kiosk...."

Wow... not only do you have to wait until check-in to find out where you are sitting, but even then you have no say in what seat you get!?!? The DL computer apparently makes that determination for you? Even for Elites?



I have only one client who requires that I book thru their travel agent. I just spoke with them, and the travel agent just laughed at what DL was doing. Of course, there is no love lost between travel agents and DL management.
StayingHomeIsBetter is offline  
Old Mar 21, 12, 10:08 am
  #93  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Posts: 12,308
Originally Posted by sxf24 View Post
While often of a contrary opinion, I like to think my statements are based on facts and data, rather than rampant speculation about what might happen.

Also, folks tend to fade away and move to another topic because its infuriating and pointless to continue refuting insipid drivel.
We were not discussing whether your statements are, in general, based upon facts and data. We were discussing your specific, specious assertion that I had made an unfounded statement of fact when, in actuality, I had only offered a prediction.

So, I guess, we have an example of a statement made by you that was not based upon facts and data. Would that not be the case?

And now, instead of admitting your error, you throw up a smoke screen while you try to branch off onto a tangent.

What you choose to regard as "insipid drivel" might just be a search for intellectual integrity.

Having put yourself in an untenable position, can I assume that you will fade away and move to another topic now?
StayingHomeIsBetter is offline  
Old Mar 21, 12, 10:44 am
  #94  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SUX
Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Posts: 8,050
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
"Your seat will be auto-assigned when you check in for a flight via delta.com or any Delta airport kiosk...."

Wow... not only do you have to wait until check-in to find out where you are sitting, but even then you have no say in what seat you get!?!? The DL computer apparently makes that determination for you? Even for Elites?
Until an elite tries one of these out, it will be hard to say. However, since they said you could purchase a preferred seat that's available, I think an elite on an E fare would be assigned a seat but could change to a preferred seat at their cost (generally/always $0).
mtkeller is offline  
Old Mar 21, 12, 10:46 am
  #95  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: TPA,DTW
Posts: 245
On Egencia I'm finding the flights automatically book into E class so I'm screwed as TPA-DTW and MCO-DTW are routes I fly a lot for work along with co-workers. I know I will not book into this class knowing I can't select a seat, and I'm also SOL in the event of IRROPS.

What's interesting is all the other fares listed are now showing as out of our company policy because the E fare on DL is so much cheaper. About to have a chat with our travel department.
Spence1097 is offline  
Old Mar 21, 12, 10:52 am
  #96  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SEA
Posts: 12,485
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
We were not discussing whether your statements are, in general, based upon facts and data. We were discussing your specific, specious assertion that I had made an unfounded statement of fact when, in actuality, I had only offered a prediction.

So, I guess, we have an example of a statement made by you that was not based upon facts and data. Would that not be the case?

And now, instead of admitting your error, you throw up a smoke screen while you try to branch off onto a tangent.

What you choose to regard as "insipid drivel" might just be a search for intellectual integrity.

Having put yourself in an untenable position, can I assume that you will fade away and move to another topic now?
Usually, I'd ignore the baiting and move on to another topic. However, I'd like to end our discussion by acknowledging that ignoring any further posts you make in this thread is not based on the tenability of my position, but rather on your inability to participate in a constructive discussion on any topic related to Delta.
sxf24 is offline  
Old Mar 21, 12, 10:54 am
  #97  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SEA
Posts: 12,485
Originally Posted by Spence1097 View Post
On Egencia I'm finding the flights automatically book into E class so I'm screwed as TPA-DTW and MCO-DTW are routes I fly a lot for work along with co-workers. I know I will not book into this class knowing I can't select a seat, and I'm also SOL in the event of IRROPS.

What's interesting is all the other fares listed are now showing as out of our company policy because the E fare on DL is so much cheaper. About to have a chat with our travel department.
Based on the minor difference in fare, I would expect travel departments to be open to excluding E fares from corporate search engines. The use it or lose it aspects of the fares are generally incompatible with business travel.

Agencies were informed of the new fare rules yesterday, so it might take a few days for them to catch up.
sxf24 is offline  
Old Mar 21, 12, 10:58 am
  #98  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Posts: 12,308
Originally Posted by sxf24 View Post
Usually, I'd ignore the baiting and move on to another topic. However, I'd like to end our discussion by acknowledging that ignoring any further posts you make in this thread is not based on the tenability of my position, but rather on your inability to participate in a constructive discussion on any topic related to Delta.
StayingHomeIsBetter is offline  
Old Mar 21, 12, 11:02 am
  #99  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Posts: 12,308
Originally Posted by mtkeller View Post
Until an elite tries one of these out, it will be hard to say. However, since they said you could purchase a preferred seat that's available, I think an elite on an E fare would be assigned a seat but could change to a preferred seat at their cost (generally/always $0).
The "Seats assigned at check in, including elites" entry in the table above sounds disconcerting though, doesn't it?

As you say, experience will tell.

Wait for the "I didn't know I was buying an E fare and I got hosed" posts to start appearing here.
StayingHomeIsBetter is offline  
Old Mar 21, 12, 11:12 am
  #100  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,345
Originally Posted by zsmith2 View Post
I think you need to read "in select markets" much closer.
+1...for sure
OHDL1 is offline  
Old Mar 21, 12, 11:18 am
  #101  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BDL/HPN/JFK/FLL
Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Posts: 1,051
Originally Posted by sxf24 View Post
Based on the minor difference in fare, I would expect travel departments to be open to excluding E fares from corporate search engines. The use it or lose it aspects of the fares are generally incompatible with business travel.

Agencies were informed of the new fare rules yesterday, so it might take a few days for them to catch up.
Most use a 3rd party or SAAS solution, and these don't seem to be able to do this.

From what I'm being told it seems there may be a concerted effort building to force Delta not to publish E fares to GDS...
mother- is offline  
Old Mar 21, 12, 11:44 am
  #102  
c_d
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: BER, SAT, AUS
Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Posts: 1,611
Originally Posted by NWA/Deltaflygirl View Post
[...] but for some people it might be worth the few bucks savings.
Well not for some people but for exactly the passengers DL tries to attract so hard: Infrequent travelers and tourists. Christ, they failed so bad in Germany with that policy, why do they think it is better to reinstate it? A couple of years back, when the FRA market was hurting, they sold rail/fly tickets from Berlin. So instead of taking the $700 a/i r/t from TXL, you got a rail ticket for going to FRA and take that flight for a total of $680. the worst part is: PEOPLE DID THAT! They spend 5hrs in a train and had extra expenses for food, etc. to save $20! Those people are out there and they are more than us. Probably that is why DL feels so attracted to them.

The crowd they are seeking is bad for business because they ONLY buy below sustainability and simply won't go if it's too expensive and trying to compete with the super low costs is no good idea in the long run (when you don't want to lose your network).
c_d is offline  
Old Mar 21, 12, 11:52 am
  #103  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: IND
Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Posts: 1,299
Originally Posted by Spence1097 View Post
I'm also SOL in the event of IRROPS.
I'm not entirely sure that you understand the T&C. In a few threads I've seen statements like this that don't make sense to me. I think its turning into one of those FT urban myths like how HOOU don't always print or how checkin time gets you higher upgrade priority.

If there are IROPS you will get to your destination - unless you ask for a refund in which case DL no longer has any obligation to get you there. Not any different than any other fare.
azeckel is offline  
Old Mar 21, 12, 11:58 am
  #104  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SEA
Posts: 12,485
Originally Posted by mother- View Post
Most use a 3rd party or SAAS solution, and these don't seem to be able to do this.

From what I'm being told it seems there may be a concerted effort building to force Delta not to publish E fares to GDS...
What booking tools are unable to accept fare class exclusions in their standard queries? We use a Sabre-based tool and E fares have already been excluded (though our DTW-Florida travel is negligible).

Unless Amex led the charge, there's no way Delta would not publish E fares to GDS. Distribution through Expedia, etc. is critical to appealing to the bargain hunter market.
sxf24 is offline  
Old Mar 21, 12, 12:05 pm
  #105  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Posts: 2,530
Originally Posted by sxf24 View Post
Distribution through Expedia, etc. is critical to appealing to the bargain hunter market.
Umm... not sure WN would agree with you there.

My corporate booking tool has a large alert that Southwest fares are not included in results and must be booked directly through Southwest's web site. Isn't this who Delta is trying to compete with for the E fares?

Why would it be bad to segment the business/corporate travelers from the "wanna get away" crowd?
dcline414 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: