Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare Class E finally answered??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy Fare Class E finally answered??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mother-
Oh for the love of!@#@#%.

This is a HUGE problem for me. The E fares show up in my online travel portal as the available coach fare. I have no ability to ticket in any other coach class on work travel. [I can specify fully refundable in the search engine, but that is not within our policy to buy].

So I will have to avoid DL whenever it wants to book me into E.

Arg!
yeah, this stinks for corporate Amex users.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
Originally Posted by rylan
EDIT:
Other thing... is a $12 savings really worth it to buy this fare for no seat assignment and no changes?
Commuter flights. When I take JFK - BOS for 90 - 120, a $15 to $20 difference makes a difference for me. No seat assignment wouldn't peeve me as there is always a seat available most of the time I fly this route.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

My bet... 50% RDMs and MQMs (with MQMs in jeopardy).
Of course you would bet that....you haven't wrote much positive or optimistic on the DL board for quite some time. As has been posted, E class earns 100% RDMs and MQMs and is only available in DTW-MCO/RSW/TPA/FLL to start. My guess would be they are trying to compete with "no frills" carrier Spirit. I'm sure DL has established some threshold at which a fare will be an E fare. For example looking at flights that are $257 RT DTW-MCO they are E fares. Maybe they decided anything less than $130 one-way will be an E fare. I'm sure if it is successful it will expand.....likely to more Spirit markets (like the new MSP-LAS and MSP-CHI routes).
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by mother-
Exchanged emails with the corp travel dept...

Long and short of it, and this is a direct quote from the manager of our travel department:
"I would probably book away from Delta."

(Context being that if Delta loads it into GDS as a Y fare there is nothing we can do about it)

As one of the few firms that has been growing and doing well these past years, ~3k people, of which at least half fly 4 or more times a year for work, and ~500 are road warriors, this is bad juju!

Hopefully they will modify corporate contracts to treat E as L or something...
Assume that you plan ahead (buy tickets > 10 days in advance) and plan well, but 10% of the time you still need to change your tickets. Let's also assume that the price of your new ticket is the same no matter what the scenario.

Your business case:
Looking at the fares currently filed on the route in question:
E fare (10 day adv. purch, no value if changed) = $258
L/T (10 day adv. purch, $150 to change) = $270

Code:
			E fare			L/T fare
Ticket					Buy-up	$12 
1			$258 			$270 
2			$258 			$270 
3			$258 			$270 
4			$258 			$270 
5			$258 			$270 
6			$258 			$270 
7			$258 			$270 
8			$258 			$270 
9			$258 			$270 
10			$258 			$270 
Total			$2,580 			$2,700 
Change fee		($258)			($150)
Credit remaining	$0 			$120 
New Fare		$X			$X
Cost less Credit	$X			$X - $120
Total ticket spend	$2580 + X		$2700 + $X - $120 = $2580 + X
Incremental vs. E fare				$0
The break-even point is a buy-up that is equal to (T fare - $150 change fee)/(# of purchases between changes).

Therefore, given this pricing, if you change more often than one ticket in ten, or if the buy up is $12 or less, you come out ahead. For the converse situation (buy up >$12 or change less than one in ten), DL comes out ahead.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
I think you need to read "in select markets" much closer.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Of course you would bet that....you haven't wrote much positive or optimistic on the DL board for quite some time. As has been posted, E class earns 100% RDMs and MQMs and is only available in DTW-MCO/RSW/TPA/FLL to start. My guess would be they are trying to compete with "no frills" carrier Spirit. I'm sure DL has established some threshold at which a fare will be an E fare. For example looking at flights that are $257 RT DTW-MCO they are E fares. Maybe they decided anything less than $130 one-way will be an E fare. I'm sure if it is successful it will expand.....likely to more Spirit markets (like the new MSP-LAS and MSP-CHI routes).
I would love to be able to brag on the management of the company. I do brag on the rank and file folks when I can, and defend them from time-to-time when necessary. I concede that I should do this more often (bragging that is). I'll work harder on that.

Unfortunately, their management provides too many distractions. If only the management provided a less "target-rich" environment.

And, by the way, my prediction was for the future state. Based upon what you have seen DL management to be capable of, do you truly believe that the current mileage allowance for the E fare will be sustained?

Let's see... what follows after "Once burned, twice shy"? Are there similar expressions for twice and thrice burned? What adjective comes after "thrice"?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:14 pm
Suspended

And, by the way, my prediction was for the future state. Based upon what you have seen DL management to be capable of, do you truly believe that the current mileage allowance for the E fare will be sustained?
Why wouldn't it be able to be sustained?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by sxf24
I'd suggest that the fact that they DIDN'T make the MQMs earned by these fares less than the 100% earned by higher fares is further evidence that the implementation of revenue-based earning is imminent.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by akonradi
For now, they show "upgrade eligible." For now.
And we all know what that means...

Originally Posted by rylan
Bingo. Call us cynical, but there is hard evidence as to creep in "enhancements"
Yes, and it's not cynical to call Delta's enhancements simply BS. Especially when they go unannounced.

Originally Posted by pagotto
So, say a Medallion buys an E fare and gets a Medallion Upgrade. Would they still no longer be able to select a seat until check-in in First?
No info on UG's yet. But introducing something like this with exceptions is bound to induce screwups in IT and thus CS nightmares.

Originally Posted by cfischer
yeah, this stinks for corporate Amex users.
+1. How many unknowing folks are going to be hit with buying cheap fares and finding out later it was an E. Then finding out what the heck E means. Apparently E is the new T.

I wonder about SDC...
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:52 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I wonder about SDC...
Press release upthread says:

Note: Same Day Confirmed, schedule changes, irregular operations, baggage handling and all other processes are treated the same for Basic Economy fares as they are for any other fare type purchased.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Seat Assignment

This is the feedback I received from DL customer service (via email) regarding seat assignment on E fares:

Your seat will be auto-assigned when you check in for a flight via delta.com or any Delta airport kiosk. You may check in via delta.com or a Delta airport kiosk 24 hours in advance to the flight's scheduled departure time. In addition, at check in you may purchase any available Preferred Seat. SkyMiles Bonus and MQMs will accrue and complimentary Medallion upgrades are eligible where applicable.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't say that it "wouldn't it be able to be sustained."

My point was that I don't expect that DL management will want to sustain it.

After they have gotten people accustomed to the E fare, I anticipate there is a good chance that they will reduce the mileage awarded for E fares.

E fares will become DL management's Ryanair class.

Simple as that.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by zsmith2
I think you need to read "in select markets" much closer.
+1. And I am in MCO. This only affects me if I terminate in DTW as it appears that the E is not combinable with other fare codes.

Now, if this expsnds, I will re-visit my opinion.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Yes, and it's not cynical to call Delta's enhancements simply BS. Especially when they go unannounced.
Basic Economy was announced. Or, were you waiting for a personal phone call from Richard Anderson?

I didn't say that it "wouldn't it be able to be sustained."

My point was that I don't expect that DL management will want to sustain it.

After they have gotten people accustomed to the E fare, I anticipate there is a good chance that they will reduce the mileage awarded for E fares.

E fares will become DL management's Ryanair class.

Simple as that.
It would be helpful if you clearly indicated when you were making assumptions about how you believed Delta management may behave in the future. Attempting to position your assumptions as facts only serves to unnecessarily inflame the discussion. Of course, that's probably your intention.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would be helpful if you clearly indicated when you were making assumptions about how you believed Delta management may behave in the future. Attempting to position your assumptions as facts only serves to unnecessarily inflame the discussion. Of course, that's probably your intention.
OK... here we go... Following is my original post that prompted your usual "defend DL management at any cost" responses.

Where did you see reference to full mileage?

My bet... 50% RDMs and MQMs (with MQMs in jeopardy).
"My bet..." Is that not adequate to communicate to you that my post was of a speculative or predictive basis? Not an assertion of fact?

In what way was was I "Attempting to position [my] assumptions as facts"?

Those of your ilk who can only sustain their position in a debate by falsely attributing statements to others are becoming so tiresome.

But, please... I'd like to hear your response. More often than not, when caught in a contradiction like this, you folks just tend to fade away, and move to another topic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.