Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare Class E finally answered??

Basic Economy Fare Class E finally answered??

Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
They're not giving it up. They're getting more. If you have to change, you throw away your whole ticket and buy a new one.

Example if you had a $350 ticket you needed to change, and the new fare was $475.

Standard economy fare
Old ticket price: $350
New ticket price: $475
Difference paid at time of change = $475 - $350 + $150 = $275
Total paid = $350 + $275 = $625

Basic economy fare
Difference paid at time of change = $475 - $0 + $150 = $625
Total paid = $350 + $625 = $975

Even if you assume the basic economy fare offers some savings up front, DL is still probably coming out very much ahead in the event someone actually needs to change. (Admittedly, fewer people might actually change once faced with the price than they would if they were on a regular economy fare.)
But there are also cases where I'd like to change (badly enough to pay the change fee) but I don't have to. With E I'd just suck it up and take the original flight and DL gets nothing additional.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
So, say a Medallion buys an E fare and gets a Medallion Upgrade. Would they still no longer be able to select a seat until check-in in First?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by rwoman
I agree... This is not DL's most brilliant move...and the E fare is not dramatically cheaper than the next fare bucket...hopefully this will go the way of Song and other (bad) suggestions from the Good Idea (bean counter) Fairy...
I say let the bean counters test this. There are segments of the population who want unbundled fares. IMHO this fare should earn 50% EQM.

That said, delta.dumb better make it very clear when searching for lowest if you are buying one of these E fares.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I see no problem with this idea. If people want to save a few bucks and deal without knowing where they sit, then so be it. If it fills some middle seats, DL will take the extra revenue. Me, I won't buy a flight unless I know I'm in EC or an exit row at worst. I'll even pay a few bucks for that comfort. But, most people will do anything to save a buck and then complain the whole time before repeating the process.

The airlines have figured out that most people will buy what's cheapest and take their lumps later. That's why stuff like baggage fees have been successful.

I'm just waiting for some family to complain that they bought E fares for them and their kids and they ended up in some random middle seats and no one would switch with them.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: Delta Ballast Medallion, Card Carrying Honorary KM
Basic economy fare
Difference paid at time of change = $350 + $475 + $0 = $825
THAT'S how it would be. You'd be booking a NEW regular ticket, but the new E fare IS covered by 'Risk free' (the midnight the next day IF booked directly with DL).

If there's even a remote change you'll want to make a voluntary change, I wouldn't book it, but for some people it might be worth the few bucks savings.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
But there are also cases where I'd like to change (badly enough to pay the change fee) but I don't have to. With E I'd just suck it up and take the original flight and DL gets nothing additional.
I said the same thing when they raised the change fee from $50. Everyone has their tolerance points.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by NWA/Deltaflygirl
THAT'S how it would be. You'd be booking a NEW regular ticket, but the new E fare IS covered by 'Risk free' (the midnight the next day IF booked directly with DL).

If there's even a remote change you'll want to make a voluntary change, I wouldn't book it, but for some people it might be worth the few bucks savings.
Yes, you're right, I copied and pasted and left the change fee in with the basic ticket where it doesn't belong. Good catch.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Agreed. The very last sentence in my post indicates as much. People may think harder about whether they really need to change. But when they do, DL is making out with far more cash than in the past.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:29 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
They're not giving it up. They're getting more. If you have to change, you throw away your whole ticket and buy a new one.

Example if you had a $350 ticket you needed to change, and the new fare was $475.

Standard economy fare
Difference paid at time of change = $475 - $350 + $150 = $275
Total paid = $350 + $275 = $625

Basic economy fare
Difference paid at time of change = $475 - $0 + $150 = $625
Total paid = $350 + $625 = $975

Even if you assume the basic economy fare offers some savings up front, DL is still probably coming out very much ahead in the event someone actually needs to change. (Admittedly, fewer people might actually change once faced with the price than they would if they were on a regular economy fare.)
You are close but the passenger wouldn't pay the $150 change fee if they use the Basic economy fare - remember no changes!

Last edited by fti; Mar 20, 2012 at 1:30 pm Reason: posting at the same time javabytes made the correction!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:31 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWA/Deltaflygirl
You'd be booking a NEW regular ticket, but the new E fare IS covered by 'Risk free' (the midnight the next day IF booked directly with DL).
Of course it is covered by the 'risk free' policy - that policy is now federal law!

Last edited by fti; Mar 20, 2012 at 2:28 pm
Old Mar 20, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Trying to compete with Spirit

March 20, 2012) - Delta Air Lines is introducing a new Basic Economy fare product for domestic travel on Delta flights between Detroit (DTW) and the following cities in Florida:

Detroit (DTW) to/from:

Orlando (MCO)
Ft. Myers (RSW)
Ft. Lauderdale (FLL)
Tampa (TPA)

Basic Economy may be expanded to other markets in the future as determined
by Delta.

As of March 13, 2012, Delta began offering customers the ability to customize their flight experience through the purchase of “Trip Extras” which are available for purchase on Basic Economy and other Delta fares in select domestic markets.

Basic Economy

The Basic Economy product is designed to offer consumer choice and customization to the individual’s travel experience. The product is ideal for travelers who seek the lowest fare option, do not intend to make changes and do not consider seat choice an important part of their travel experience. Customers who prefer selecting seats and having flexibility in travel should consider fare options other than Basic Economy.

Basic Economy Fare Highlights:

Are identifiable by class of service “E”
Will be published and available via GDS
Voluntary changes will not be permitted
Are non-refundable (except due to involuntary cases, such as irregular operations)
Are combinable only with other Basic Economy fares

Itinerary must be all E class segments or no E class segments
E class interline combinations are not permitted

Advance seat assignments are not permitted. Seats will be assigned by Delta at the time of customer check-in, and once assigned, no changes will be allowed.

Note: Same Day Confirmed, schedule changes, irregular operations, baggage handling and all other processes are treated the same for Basic Economy fares as they are for any other fare type purchased.

Travel Agent Information Regarding Basic Economy

Fare Shopping, Pricing Low Fare Products, Low- Fare Finders, and Self Booking Tools

When using low-fare finder type options or self-booking tools that search for the lowest fares, it is important to note the following:

Basic Economy will likely be returned, as it is the lowest fare
The Basic Economy fare will be nonrefundable, non-changeable and will not permit advanced seat assignments
If the Basic Economy fare is selected, the customer must be notified of all the fare rules. In addition, expectations of the travel experience must be clearly explained.

Consult the GDS or Self Booking Tool (SBT) provider to determine the most effective entries for pricing “sell up” fares or exclusions.

Trip Extras

When purchasing a Delta fare, customers traveling on select domestic flights are able to customize their flight experience through the purchase of various add-on products called “Trip Extras.”

Trip Extras will be available to purchase for any fare type primarily via delta.com and include the following:

Mileage Booster ™ - purchase of SkyMiles® miles in increments of 1,000 and up to 3,000 miles (must have valid SkyMiles number)
Delta 24 Hour Wi-Fi Pass

24 hours of unlimited Internet on all GoGo®-equipped Delta flights

Priority Boarding

Available for purchase for purchase through delta.com, online check in, and kiosks in select markets
Valid only for early boarding on the Delta or Delta Connection flight for which it was purchased

“Lift” package – includes Priority Boarding and Mileage Booster – 1,000 miles
“Ascend” package – includes Priority Boarding and Delta 24 Hour Wi-Fi Pass

Note:

Select Trip Extras may be limited to single passenger PNRs (Delta 24 Hour Wi-Fi Pass, Priority Boarding, Lift package and Ascend Package)
Trip Extras are not changeable and non-refundable except for involuntary reasons
Priority Boarding will be available via kiosk and online check-in; Mileage Booster will also be sold via online check-in
Mileage Booster ™, Delta 24 Hour Wi-Fi Pass, Priority Boarding, Lift package and Ascend Package will be sold on delta.com (Booking, Award ticket and My Trips)
Old Mar 20, 2012, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fti
You are close but the passenger wouldn't pay the $150 change fee if they use the Basic economy fare - remember no changes!
NWA/Deltaflygirl caught me too. Fixeded it.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 2:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Some European Carriers have this kind of fare, as mentioned before. However, their Elite members (i.e Iberia Elites/Oneworld Elites) can still select seats before check-in.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by HongKonger
It doesn't allow any changes, even for a fee! Wow. I guess rev mgmt is willing to give up the $150 potential change fee in exchange for the small possibility of being able to sell the whole ticket again or offer fewer VDBs in the case of no-shows.
Why would you see the VDB potential go down?

Originally Posted by dcline414
From Delta's website (Fare Info and Ticket Rules):

At only a $15 discount (and seemingly a great deal of advance purchase required), the discount doesn't seem worth the restrictions.
To you & me maybe but to Ma & Pa Kettle with 3 kids that's $150 for something where they won't need flexibility...
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:16 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vuelos
Why would you see the VDB potential go down?
I could definitely see it. If I buy a ticket that absolutely can not be changed and I can't use it, rather than calling the airline to tell them I am not flying I would just not show up (or check in, then not show up). So rather than DL trying to resell the seat, I am already a 100% no-show (in my mind, but DL doesn't know that). Perhaps DL's IT would take such no-shows into account when overbooking flights, but since it is a new product with no track record and with DL's notoriety in their IT dept, I would think that is highly unlikely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.