Wiki Posts
Search

Latest 717 rumor: DL deal in place

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
I like the 2 seat side of the 2-3 Y config on those planes too.
Yes, I like more legroom. I like to sit in the aisle. I flew on DC-9 before. I like to sit in 6C. It's very good legroom.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:05 am

Programs: Independent
I too am not a fan of the MD88. Narrow seats, small overhead bin space, walls curve in too much for the window seats. I suppose they are better than the CRJs, but i prefer a CR900 or EMB170 over the MD.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by adamj023
Delta needs a more modern fleet without the old baggage like American Airlines has which is in bankruptcy right now and it will take a long time for it to come out of it.

American Airlines got stuck with older planes than Delta for the most part but Delta is profitable right now. So it is time for the Boeing 717's to come onto the fleet to replace some planes.

Delta Mainline fleet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines_fleet

Delta does not run Embraers or CRJ's or the other types as regional airlines run those planes for Delta.

Delta could use some of those 717 in Mainline to replace A319, DC9-50 and possibly some MD88's.

Yes you are right I didn't include the A319 in those. If the 717 is more fuel efficient and Delta can live with the range and pax of the 717 perhaps it could make sense. The A319 were acquired from NorthWest and Delta could move to an all Boeing fleet.

Another strategy would be to use the 717's at the new LaGuardia Hub and expand mainline aircraft so Delta would run flights on 717 out of LaGuardia instead of depending on regional carriers. In this senario it would displace regional airlines.

LaGuardia will start to get phased in very soon and will expand services over there. But existing schedules show they plan on at least at first using regional airlines but they could want to use the 717's to migrate to a Delta run show at LGA which I think is very possible as the 717's come in.

If 717s get allocated to airports like LGA, then the MD88s would still be around, and so will the A319's for awhile yet. The DC9-50's however will get phased out.
owning newer planes doesn't make an airline more profitable.....the cost of capital for all airlines right now isn't very cheap, for new equipment to work the fuel/labor savings must out weigh the added cost of the capital needed to obtain the new equipment......then add the wage issue (in AA's case this is the main issue they have - not the fleet they are flying...all other airlines have already dealt with it, not it's AA's turn)......unfortunately the airline industry is a very difficult one to make a profit in.....equally unfortunate is the fact that it's even more difficult to close down an airline for financial reasons - too many bankers, equipment manufacturers and unions just wont allow free market forces to have an effect
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
As Socrates notes, buying new aircraft makes the carrier more sensitive to increases in costs of capital.

Flying old aircraft leaves them more vulnerable to increases in the cost of fuel.

At some point on a fuel price curve and aircraft price curve, it's justified to fly older, moderately less efficient aircraft: 717s v. new 737NGs, for example. However, there is a fuel price at which point above-average fuel consumption makes less efficient aircraft worthless: DC-9s are economically obsolete even if they can fly just fine for another 10K hours.

If somebody has lease rates for 717/A319/737-700/319NEO/-700MAX and fuel burn per seat mile, I'm sure the collective wisdom of this forum could do the math.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Originally Posted by N830MH
Can Boeing will have reconsider again to built newest 717-300X? It will bring more than 100 - 130 passengers. I think they will restored the 717 production again.
No. The tooling is long gone, and an resurrected, up-gauged 717 would be in direct competition with the 737NG and MAX line. The whole reason that 717 production ended in the first place was that AirTran (and some others?) wanted an scaled-up 717-300 with longer range. Boeing took all of ten seconds to realize that an aircraft like that would be in direct competition with the 737NG, and they weren't about to create internal competition for their best-selling line.

With Boeing slamming the door on the prospect of fleet commonality for 717 buyers that needed a larger aircraft, they killed interest in the line from DL, NW and AC, and effectively ended the program's long-term chances of success--and I'm not sure anyone in Boeing's senior management was too broken up about that.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Platinum
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
As Socrates notes, buying new aircraft makes the carrier more sensitive to increases in costs of capital.

Flying old aircraft leaves them more vulnerable to increases in the cost of fuel.

At some point on a fuel price curve and aircraft price curve, it's justified to fly older, moderately less efficient aircraft: 717s v. new 737NGs, for example. However, there is a fuel price at which point above-average fuel consumption makes less efficient aircraft worthless: DC-9s are economically obsolete even if they can fly just fine for another 10K hours.

If somebody has lease rates for 717/A319/737-700/319NEO/-700MAX and fuel burn per seat mile, I'm sure the collective wisdom of this forum could do the math.
With 120 PAX (or whatever number Delta configures the 717 for) or less, the 717 is more efficient than the current 737-700 or A319. You need an incredible advantage in CASM to make up for flying around lots of empty seats on an aircraft that is too large for its market. There is a huge hole in the 100 to 120 seat range that the 717 fills well. That is why Bombardier developed the C-Series which I believe will eventually be a very successful aircraft. The EMB 190/195 has surprisingly high costs for a relatively new design and if fuel prices stay high the C-Series will obliterate the 190/195.

The 717 was killed by lack of a larger and longer range version and the commonality madness that bought us still-born white elephants like the A318 and 737-600. The A318 and 737-600 were both a shrink too far and are just too inefficient (especially the A318).
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by veliger
With 120 PAX (or whatever number Delta configures the 717 for) or less, the 717 is more efficient than the current 737-700 or A319.
Delta has flown both A319s (12F 114Y) and 737-700s (12F 112y) pre Economy Comfort, against AirTran's 12F 105Y. That's a very marginal difference in seat count. I'm ready to trust their math on fuel burn per seat mile or trip cost v. 717s on this.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Platinum
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta has flown both A319s (12F 114Y) and 737-700s (12F 112y) pre Economy Comfort, against AirTran's 12F 105Y. That's a very marginal difference in seat count. I'm ready to trust their math on fuel burn per seat mile or trip cost v. 717s on this.
Equivalently equipped, (same seat pitch, F seats, etc) the 717 will have roughly 15 less seats the 319 or 737-700. It has a lower profile and more efficient, lower thrust engines. It also has its engines on the tail where they belong for better aerodynamics. The only situation I can see the 319 or 737-700 approaching the 717 in CASM at the 717’s max passenger loads would be on longer routes where the 717’s lower ceiling would be a larger factor.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Originally Posted by veliger
Equivalently equipped, (same seat pitch, F seats, etc) the 717 will have roughly 15 less seats the 319 or 737-700. It has a lower profile and more efficient, lower thrust engines. It also has its engines on the tail where they belong for better aerodynamics. The only situation I can see the 319 or 737-700 approaching the 717 in CASM at the 717’s max passenger loads would be on longer routes where the 717’s lower ceiling would be a larger factor.
Yes, but when you factor in the cost of building a dedicated pilot base for one type with zero commonality throughout the fleet, the costs of adding new (and notoriously unreliable) engines into the mix, and the expense of training those new pilots, maintenance techs and crew, you begin to question the wisdom of adding another type to your fleet whose mission would almost completely overlap the mission of three existing types (73G, 319, MD-88).
Old May 21, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
DL trying to acquire WN's 717's

....... "Analysts have speculated that Delta is among the interested buyers of the 88 Boeing 717s that Southwest Airlines acquired when it purchased AirTran Holdings Inc. last year. Southwest has said repeatedly that it would like to get rid of the planes as soon as it can." ......

http://m.startribune.com/business/?id=152401545&c=y

Last edited by RSSrsvp; May 22, 2012 at 7:01 am Reason: I clarified the title
Old May 21, 2012, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RRDD
....... "Analysts have speculated that Delta is among the interested buyers of the 88 Boeing 717s that Southwest Airlines acquired when it purchased AirTran Holdings Inc. last year. Southwest has said repeatedly that it would like to get rid of the planes as soon as it can." ......

http://m.startribune.com/business/?id=152401545&c=y
This discussion was ongoing for awhile with threads on here and airliners.net

717's are newer jets not produced anymore but have no commonality with other types.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Just what DL needs...yet another aircraft type for pilots and mechanics to learn and get certified on, for all FAs to learn, and for DL to maintain parts inventory. OTOH, DL has a fleet that allows they to select almost any number of seats (that is, a "continuous variable with no gaps in its range) to assign to a given route. The ultimate rightsizing at great cost.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:07 pm

The 717 doesn't have type commonality with the MD-80's/90's?
Old May 21, 2012, 11:35 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton
The 717 shares a lot of basic part-components with the DC-9, MD-80, and MD-90. Also, once DL completes the cockpit-mods on the MD-88s and 90s: it will have the same cockpit.

Essentially, it's a DC-9-40 with new engines, updated avionics, and a -34 wing.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by adamj023
This discussion was ongoing for awhile with threads on here and airliners.net

717's are newer jets not produced anymore but have no commonality with other types.
Originally Posted by asimperson
The 717 doesn't have type commonality with the MD-80's/90's?
Originally Posted by personaltravelaid
The 717 shares a lot of basic part-components with the DC-9, MD-80, and MD-90. Also, once DL completes the cockpit-mods on the MD-88s and 90s: it will have the same cockpit.

Essentially, it's a DC-9-40 with new engines, updated avionics, and a -34 wing.
Which is right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.