Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
DMs who think they are going to come out ahead on this deal are still seeking to quell a rebellion by trying to discount all rumors. As in:
"It's preposterous to believe that DL is going to do something like this... there is absolutely no evidence that the rumors are true... but I am sure looking forward to when it happens."
I won't pretend to speak for all DM's but I am not sure why you feel you can. I am asking the same question since the beginning of this thread: Just what is THIS DEAL? Near as I can tell, it is still just rumor. Nothing more, nothing less.

With more than a 30-yr history of airline FF programs, the only thing that is certain is that DL -- as well as the other airlines -- will change their programs. It happens all the time. But this IF thread is just wild with speculation. We can discuss all day long IF certain things happen, then the consequences will be THAT. But if the IF never happens, then it is quite a waste of time. Nevertheless, quite entertaining.

Maybe I am the only DM waiting to see what DL says about the inevitable changes coming, then it will be time to comment on the real changes, not the wild WHAT IF guesses.
Old May 3, 2012, 7:17 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
DMs who think they are going to come out ahead on this deal are still seeking to quell a rebellion by trying to discount all rumors. As in:
"It's preposterous to believe that DL is going to do something like this... there is absolutely no evidence that the rumors are true... but I am sure looking forward to when it happens."
This DM is sure looking forward to if and when a rev/miles flown based system happens. I will be miles ahead (excuse the pun)
Old May 3, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Near as I can tell, it is still just rumor. Nothing more, nothing less.
Says who?
Old May 3, 2012, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by dcline414
Says who?
It's not a rumor because anyone says anything to declare it so. It's a rumor because there is no official announcement and not a single person can say definitively exactly what a new program, if any, will look like.
Old May 3, 2012, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by dcline414
Says who?
Merriam-Webster?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...0&t=1336059846

This discussion seems to fit the definition quite well, no?
Old May 3, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Merriam-Webster?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...0&t=1336059846

This discussion seems to fit the definition quite well, no?
Sorry... there was no intellectual merit to my post. It was just a play on the poster's handle, "Sez_Who".

Sorry if I dumbed down this discussion!
Old May 3, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by dean1121
This DM is sure looking forward to if and when a rev/miles flown based system happens. I will be miles ahead (excuse the pun)
Don't be so certain. I'm assuming that if there is a change the SkyBonus program is probably a good clue to see what the change might look like. How far ahead will you be in a system where hub captives earn points at 1/3 the rate of non-hub captives and M fares (and lower) are considered liesure fares that earn points at 30% the rate of B and higher?
Old May 4, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: Delta -DM"working on KM" Hhonors-Gold Priorityclub- Plat
+1^

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
I won't pretend to speak for all DM's but I am not sure why you feel you can. I am asking the same question since the beginning of this thread: Just what is THIS DEAL? Near as I can tell, it is still just rumor. Nothing more, nothing less.

With more than a 30-yr history of airline FF programs, the only thing that is certain is that DL -- as well as the other airlines -- will change their programs. It happens all the time. But this IF thread is just wild with speculation. We can discuss all day long IF certain things happen, then the consequences will be THAT. But if the IF never happens, then it is quite a waste of time. Nevertheless, quite entertaining.

Maybe I am the only DM waiting to see what DL says about the inevitable changes coming, then it will be time to comment on the real changes, not the wild WHAT IF guesses.
Old May 5, 2012, 6:20 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by runninaway
Don't be so certain. I'm assuming that if there is a change the SkyBonus program is probably a good clue to see what the change might look like. How far ahead will you be in a system where hub captives earn points at 1/3 the rate of non-hub captives and M fares (and lower) are considered liesure fares that earn points at 30% the rate of B and higher?
I am actually hoping for exactly the above. Thin the ranks and reward the bigger spenders. From you fingers to Richard' decision making portion of his brain.
Old May 5, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by mhop1027
I wish we could end all of this nonsense and just move to a more competitive program between travellers. Establish a guideline of either revenue, miles, or both and assign Diamond to the top X number of people. ...
The problem is that miles was a simple and convenient way to differentiate high revenue passengers 30 years ago and that is no longer the case. Additionally, a number of passengers use the rules to qualify for top benefits that DL would like to alocate to high revenue passengers (compare a sLUT DM vs. a J-fare PM).

I think DL wants to create a system to really award the high revenue passengers but changing the whole structure is probably too much for many Medallions. In which way will DL adopt a CO’s Presidential Platinum or UA’s Global Services model remains to be seen. But I hope that by trying to please a small group they will not antagonize the majority of Medallions in the program.

Last edited by DP-340; May 5, 2012 at 11:29 am
Old May 10, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
*Bump*
Old May 10, 2012, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I check the DL website everyday and my e-mail hourly, still no news obviously.
Old May 10, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Wow this thread has been quiet of late. I guess after missing the Q1 target date that was rumored earlier in the thread that things have calmed down.

Maybe DL is just watching the UA debacle and enjoying the status quo of how things are. I'm guessing after their best Q1 performance in over a decade and a great April and positive outlook for the rest of the year, they are just sitting back and sayin "if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it".

Maybe I'm a minority but I don't think DL is going to make any big changes when things are going well and two competitors are really struggling with mergers (UA and WN), another is in bankruptcy (AA) and another is thinking of merging with the bankrupt carrier (US). I don't personally think the timing is really right when the airline is outperforming its industry counterparts.

I'm sure changes have been talked about and very possibly in a serious manner but again how many ideas are brought up in a corporate boardroom and in the end never implemented?
Old May 10, 2012, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Wow this thread has been quiet of late. I guess after missing the Q1 target date that was rumored earlier in the thread that things have calmed down.

Maybe DL is just watching the UA debacle and enjoying the status quo of how things are. I'm guessing after their best Q1 performance in over a decade and a great April and positive outlook for the rest of the year, they are just sitting back and sayin "if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it".

Maybe I'm a minority but I don't think DL is going to make any big changes when things are going well and two competitors are really struggling with mergers (UA and WN), another is in bankruptcy (AA) and another is thinking of merging with the bankrupt carrier (US). I don't personally think the timing is really right when the airline is outperforming its industry counterparts.

I'm sure changes have been talked about and very possibly in a serious manner but again how many ideas are brought up in a corporate boardroom and in the end never implemented?
I can only hope you're right.

Even so, I came to some realizations last weekend with a particularly unpleasant TSA experience. It's my bet that at some point well within my lifetime, air travel is going to involve sacrifices of privacy and liberty I'm not willing to make. So whether or not this RBMA/FBATR program comes to fruition this year, continued devaluations of miles are inevitable and so is an increasingly intrusive TSA. So I'm still burning away and accelerating trips to places I'd be sad if I never got to visit.

Last edited by javabytes; May 10, 2012 at 7:38 pm
Old May 10, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler

I seriously hope you are right on the one hand.

On the other hand, the fact that DL didn't announce the SM program for 2012 does concern me (I liken it to the calm before the storm).... they were probably whispering in dark corners and went out late at night conspiring again and again.... they were busy little bees....

Well I have been a busy bee too! I am in the midst of my status challenge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.