Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta -DM"working on KM" Hhonors-Gold Priorityclub- Plat
+1^^^

Originally Posted by Deemus7
Another +1000 on your post. I am in a very similar boat, and your last paragraph (bolding mine) sums up my concerns very succinctly. My wife tolerates my 100+ nights away from home a year, which I know may pale in comparison to some on here but is still a large part of the year. Premium award tickets to far-flung destinations play a large role in this tolerance. If the ability to book these tickets is taken away (or significantly devalued), that's a game-changer for me.

Example...last year, I used 480,000 miles for two r/t J award tickets from MCO-SYD. Revenue tickets that same day were $7104.10 each. If Delta goes to a fixed-value redemption model of $0.01 per mile/point, those same two tickets would cost 1,420,820 miles, almost three times as many miles as we paid. I completely understand this is all hypothetical, and I am in the camp waiting to make a decision until changes are formally announced, but possible changes in the redemption formula as it applies to previously-earned miles is definitely concerning.

As for future travel patterns, if attainable premium international award tickets become a thing of the past, I will likely shift much of my travel to WN. I am equidistant from both MCO and FLL, so WN has many non-stops to choose from, and I can't see Delta implementing a revenue-based redemption model AND adding something as lucrative as WN's companion pass.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Those of us who were around for the 'you will always be able to use your old miles at their current value' debacle know to be afraid of any promises DL may make regarding the value of the miles you currently have in your account if they decide to make a change .
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
hence the need to place your bets on the best information or speculation you have available.
Exactly. For several years, the AA forum told us the sky was falling w.r.t. the Million Miler program. And then, one day, the sky fell. Fortunately, those posts prompted me to put my affairs in order well before the sky fell (thanks AA rumor-mongers!)

Although this rumor is a bit more vague, it certainly has dampened my quest for SkyMiles and status with DL right now...I don't think DL will see much of me in the future if they make my roughly 1M SkyMiles any harder to use than they already are!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by jsmith50
I don't recall in the nearly a year since I've been a member of this board there having been another large scale rumor/leak/etc. quite like this one so saying that I jump into rumor threads and 'throw wood on the fire' is simply not correct. In certain cases, I have shared information with others individually by PM (which I have gained permission from my contact at DL to do before hand). His take on it is this...if I post direct statements in the public forum, it's potentially traceable back to him. If I share via PM and someone else reposts, there's a paper trail that points to me, not him, and it's the telephone game where he has plausible deniability. And, in those situations, I have answered direct question posed to me by interested FTers, I have not volunteered any information beyond that point.

Again, from the very beginning my contribution to this discussion has been that the program direction was looking like an addition to the current means of medallion qualification to be based on revenue rather than wholesale changes to the SM program. I've never said I thought the sky was falling as some have suggested. I've been consistent with this all along. Yes, I have been privy to some other information regarding redemption of miles in the newly proposed system that has suggested that the new model could be detrimental to many on this board (myself included) but especially to those that don't carry a balance of hundreds of thousands or millions of SMs. This is why I am pursuing a status match. I have enough rollover miles that assuming that's not eliminated (and I'm told it's not been part of the discussion), I would re-qualify DM for the next 2-3 years. I don't need additional miles for 2013 on DL, so better to have a backup plan in place in the event the changes work out the way I have heard so far and redemption value goes nuts.

I'm not a band-wagon kinda guy. I don't jump on rumors until I have some opportunity to validate them myself or hear for myself any announced program changes. Yes, I've been upset and/or frustrated in some other threads regarding SM changes, but if you look back, my comments there have been AFTER announcements were made and never rumor-mongering that changes were coming and I have NEVER posted on this board until now that I would pursue a status match and gone through with it. This is not me jumping on a groundless rumor, it's a well thought out response to information I'm hearing from the inside. I've talked with several others who have posted information on this thread from sources at DL by PM and for the most part, all of our information has lined up, which is very likely why you're hearing many of us pursuing status matches at this point.

Though, I will say that I have been pleased with two developments since the beginning of this thread. First, that my contact has been very straight forward about the fact that DL has had meetings specifically related to customer feedback in these types of forums and directly with their CSRs and this has, at least, delayed the announcement if not changed the specifics of the rollout. Second, that when I cancelled several full fare tix, I got a call from someone with the elite services team asking why the sudden change in my cancellation behavior and I was able to vent directly to them about my concern here and had a real person beyond my contact who said "DL hears you, what can we do to earn your business back?"

In the end, I hope that DL hears this message loud and clear and any announcement represents minimal change. Unfortunately, for those of us that have staked some degree of reputation on sharing information from inside sources, the response will be "the changes you said were coming didn't happen." It won't be "maybe the fact that you all shared information and DL saw the reaction from the customer base and changed their minds based upon the angry mob." Which, I assure you, will limit many of us from wanting to share information in the future!
I very much enjoyed your post; I liked your comment about how you will be considered "wrong" if nothing happens. Let's sure how you are "wrong!"

On a more serious note, what baffles me is the whole thought process by Delta on this.

1. I can completely understand why Delta would want to better reward high revenue passengers. So, the idea of new ways to "map" to elite status certanly makes sense to me and hard for me to find fault on that. Does it make it potentially tougher on the mileage runners for Elite status? Maybe, but as a high revenue business travelor who is only a Gold, I would like a shot up front more often and can see why Delta may want me to have it more than a mileage running plat. (I have taken up mileage running to get to plat despite my comments!) Morale of the story to me, is Delta should better match the "miles" earned with revenue spent. I would be quite upset, however, if this was 1 mile per cent spent.......
2. The redemption thing is completely where they lose me. First of all, based on your comments, I am going to assume the dreaded 1 cpm thing unless they have come up with a way for you to get more cpm based on how much is in you account. (Assumptions taken from your generalities.) If you do this, you make it very, very hard to give anything back to entice those high revenue passengers to stay that you just worked so hard to get. Again, there is no other legacy carier at this point who has this model, so, for the life of me, I can't figure otu why people in competitive markets would stay with them. Even for myself, living in Sioux Falls, SD, (FSD) I have excellent Chicago and Denver service on United. While I love flying through MSP, I don't love it enough to let Delta keep me from redeeming miles for a reasonable price. Case in point: I had reason that I wanted to buy a round trip ticket between MSP and FSD. Tickets for this 240 flight were $650 and seem to not be coming down. Finally, last night, I noticed I could finally get an award for 25K as it came down from 37.5 K. Naturally, i jumped on it and booked the flight. So does Delta REALLY think any rationaly minded person in my situation is not going to see the detriment when this would come up at 65K skypesos each? For a 240 mile flight? Are they mad? It will take one or two of those situations for the "naive" to realize how they have been screwed. (Again, I completely defend the legal right of Delta to screw us, but that does not mean it is good business. For folks who want Delta to be profitable, screwing your best customers is not wise.) Would people who don't fly out of of MSP, ATL, MEM, and SLC really stay with Delta? Come on! where is the logic!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
I don't recall in the nearly a year since I've been a member of this board there having been another large scale rumor/leak/etc. quite like this one so saying that I jump into rumor threads and 'throw wood on the fire' is simply not correct. In certain cases, I have shared information with others individually by PM (which I have gained permission from my contact at DL to do before hand). His take on it is this...if I post direct statements in the public forum, it's potentially traceable back to him. If I share via PM and someone else reposts, there's a paper trail that points to me, not him, and it's the telephone game where he has plausible deniability. And, in those situations, I have answered direct question posed to me by interested FTers, I have not volunteered any information beyond that point.

Again, from the very beginning my contribution to this discussion has been that the program direction was looking like an addition to the current means of medallion qualification to be based on revenue rather than wholesale changes to the SM program. I've never said I thought the sky was falling as some have suggested. I've been consistent with this all along. Yes, I have been privy to some other information regarding redemption of miles in the newly proposed system that has suggested that the new model could be detrimental to many on this board (myself included) but especially to those that don't carry a balance of hundreds of thousands or millions of SMs. This is why I am pursuing a status match. I have enough rollover miles that assuming that's not eliminated (and I'm told it's not been part of the discussion), I would re-qualify DM for the next 2-3 years. I don't need additional miles for 2013 on DL, so better to have a backup plan in place in the event the changes work out the way I have heard so far and redemption value goes nuts.

I'm not a band-wagon kinda guy. I don't jump on rumors until I have some opportunity to validate them myself or hear for myself any announced program changes. Yes, I've been upset and/or frustrated in some other threads regarding SM changes, but if you look back, my comments there have been AFTER announcements were made and never rumor-mongering that changes were coming and I have NEVER posted on this board until now that I would pursue a status match and gone through with it. This is not me jumping on a groundless rumor, it's a well thought out response to information I'm hearing from the inside. I've talked with several others who have posted information on this thread from sources at DL by PM and for the most part, all of our information has lined up, which is very likely why you're hearing many of us pursuing status matches at this point.

Though, I will say that I have been pleased with two developments since the beginning of this thread. First, that my contact has been very straight forward about the fact that DL has had meetings specifically related to customer feedback in these types of forums and directly with their CSRs and this has, at least, delayed the announcement if not changed the specifics of the rollout. Second, that when I cancelled several full fare tix, I got a call from someone with the elite services team asking why the sudden change in my cancellation behavior and I was able to vent directly to them about my concern here and had a real person beyond my contact who said "DL hears you, what can we do to earn your business back?"

In the end, I hope that DL hears this message loud and clear and any announcement represents minimal change. Unfortunately, for those of us that have staked some degree of reputation on sharing information from inside sources, the response will be "the changes you said were coming didn't happen." It won't be "maybe the fact that you all shared information and DL saw the reaction from the customer base and changed their minds based upon the angry mob." Which, I assure you, will limit many of us from wanting to share information in the future!
I have followed this thread pretty carefully and just wanted to thank you, jsmith50, for helpful, thoughtful, and balanced posts (and not only in this thread). Much appreciated and important for most of us. I hope that comments from some of your so-called critics (which defy any logic) would not discourage you from posting in the future. Thanks again!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by glbetrotter
I have followed this thread pretty carefully and just wanted to thank you, jsmith50, for helpful, thoughtful, and balanced posts (and not only in this thread). Much appreciated and important for most of us. I hope that comments from some of your so-called critics (which defy any logic) would not discourage you from posting in the future. Thanks again!
+1 ^
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
DL certainly has the right (and the obligation to its shareholders) to do what it perceives is in its best interest, including making changes to the SM program.

Having said that, I have the right to do what I perceive is in my best interest, including making changes to where I spend my $$.

If those two courses continue to (largely) coincide, I'll keep flying DL. If they don't continue to coincide, I'll go elsewhere. (There are plenty of choices, even for those of us in a captive hub). It's all as simple as that.

BTW, how is BA longhaul these days....?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Jsmith50 said "Again, from the very beginning my contribution to this discussion has been that the program direction was looking like an addition to the current means of medallion qualification to be based on revenue rather than wholesale changes to the SM program"

That so makes total sense. At the moment DM is 125,000 MQM or 140 MQS - so dont change these but add or --- xyz Medallion Qualification Spend - enhance and add to the program - dont take away.

BTW Jsmith50 - keep the posts coming. I love them.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
That so makes total sense. At the moment DM is 125,000 MQM or 140 MQS - so dont change these but add or --- xyz Medallion Qualification Spend - enhance and add to the program - dont take away.
i'm guessing more along the lines of "and", not "or"..... would be interesting to see how that would interact with rollover, tho.

BTW Jsmith50 - keep the posts coming. I love them.
+1
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Seat1A
i'm guessing more along the lines of "and", not "or"..... would be interesting to see how that would interact with rollover, tho.

+1
Agree, and that is exactly what does not make sense to me when your competiters give better mile redemption opportunities.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by glbetrotter
+1 to this. There's always the possibility that proposed changes don't actually happen. And certainly those who break news of such changes may see their reputation questioned when that happens. I hope that doesn't deter anyone from attempting to break the news. I will selfishly sacrifice your reputation if the publicity gathered by your information has helped to kill the principle.

Seriously, though. This is an internet forum, not a scientific journal. I understand the natural skepticism of rumors, because that's all they are. And that's a healthy skepticism. I also understand the inclination to call into question the reputation of those who post rumors that don't turn out to be true. Some might never have been true, but some might well have been true only to have the idea later killed, for reasons related to or completely unrelated to public opinion. That doesn't mean the source was wrong, and yet on the surface that person will look the same as someone who comes in spewing complete fabrications. It's really left to everyone to decide who they're going to listen to and trust... and that's not going to be the same amongst everyone here. That's why this discussion can grow to hundreds of pages. An interesting study in social authority, really.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:41 pm

Thanks for the post. First thing I should mention is that your guy has been wrong before so I can only hope he is wrong again.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17613308-post10.html

Anyway, what I seem to gather from you is that you're expecting a devalueing of redemption miles rather (or moreso) than qualification miles. I'm not sure if that's good or bad for me since this will be my first year above FO (will make PM) but I only have about 200k SMs and most of my miles are elsewhere.

My curiousity is picqued though and I am trying to think of what could be motivating DL to devalue SMs and risk POing not just their customers but their partners (Amex). Since most benefits of status have no real cost, I can see why they wouldn't be too concerned about it but they may want to reign in the number of top elites to avoid too many giveaways (e.g. free EC, SC etc.). No promos might be sufficient to do the trick (then again the FO promo last year got me to fly on DL). The real problem facing DL is that current medallion program has relatively little to offer true HVCs. A separate track based on spend would make sense. I wouldn't be surprised if they widended the bands between the medallion levels as well. It really makes no sense for Delta to base status purely on spend.

On the other hand, what motivates senior management at a public company is, as always, the stock price. That's more or less how they are conmpensated. To earn those big bonuses and cash in on their stock options, DL needs to generate income and have it grow each year. Part of that could come from reducing the $4.5 billion SM liability - seems to be an easy target. While Delta made money overall last year, they lost money flying passengers around because of loads ~82%. So to that end they cut capacity. By cutting capacity, they also reduced the ability to redeem awards using the calendar. A few years ago, AA's program manager said that the marginal cost of flying award passengers was about $10 IIRC since they were using excess capacity. With capacity cuts, award redemptions have to get tougher or that marginal cost will increase.

Most people seem to be using the PWM feature. Delta likes that. If they sell a skymile for 1.5 cpm and it is redemmed at 1 cpm, a $300 fare looks like a $450 fare on the income statement ^. But if that same skymile is redeemed for for 4.5 cpm on the award calendar, then a $6,000 fare looks like a $2,000 fare . It's one thing if those seats are otherwise flying empty but Delta is highly motivated to not allow that redemption to displace a revenue passenger. Is the award calendar truly broken or in fact working as intended? Regardless, I think a devaluation beyond this is highly unlikely since they have billions of dollars worth of forward agreements to sell these miles and Delta/Amex still need people to sign up for and use their credit cards. Then again, people are stupid.

Old Apr 16, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by javabytes
+1 to this. There's always the possibility that proposed changes don't actually happen.
Unlikely given how much $$ DL has spent developing the FUBAR (sorry, FBATR - I always seem to confuse the two ) booking engine, AND given the total lack of any improvements to the current award booking engine for many, many years (something so neglected can be only EOL - the writing is on the wall, and has been so for quite a while).

However, it may very well be delayed.

The right thing to do here would be: announce it at end of 2012, to take effect in 2014 (e.g. similar to how BA did for the change to Avios, it was announced well in advance, giving everyone plenty of time to use their BA miles the old way before the change), so that those who have earned their miles and status over 2012 can still redeem and use it in 2013 per the old rules and values. Also, if no more rollover (for example) for earning status and/or other changes, announce it at least a year before it becomes so.

Unlikely DL will do quite that. But, I'd think, now we're likely looking at end of 2012 for announcements (mid-late Q4). My bet is right at Thanksgiving - DL "thanking" its customers by the new FBATR et al program devaluations. And then Jan 1, 2013 effective date.

DL has surely seen how bad it would be to do such a major devaluation in mid program year, and it likely wants to get more business from customers racking up miles over the year, esp. towards year end, and doesn't want this announcement in Q2 to cause its revenues to drop in Q3 and Q4.

That's just my personal hunch of what may in the end happen. Unfortunately here it's a matter of when, not if, I fear...

though there is always the possibility that DL will just scrap the whole FUBAR et al project for now of course, and just take all the $$ invested into that as a loss. (then to revive it a few years later perhaps still, or whenever it wouldn't be the first major airline to do so anymore and thus could easier get away with it)

Or equally likely, it may just implement all these changes and devaluations in steps, vs. all at once, using its tried-and-true method to sneak one major change after another: just constantly beating up its customers, vs. delivering one big knock-out punch. That seems to work well for DL, and the customers, unfortunately, seem to just bend over and take it.

Last edited by RealHJ; Apr 16, 2012 at 4:20 pm
Old Apr 16, 2012, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by sbjnyc
Thanks for the post. First thing I should mention is that your guy has been wrong before so I can only hope he is wrong again.

Anyway, what I seem to gather from you is that you're expecting a devalueing of redemption miles rather (or moreso) than qualification miles. I'm not sure if that's good or bad for me since this will be my first year above FO (will make PM) but I only have about 200k SMs and most of my miles are elsewhere.

My curiousity is picqued though and I am trying to think of what could be motivating DL to devalue SMs and risk POing not just their customers but their partners (Amex). Since most benefits of status have no real cost, I can see why they wouldn't be too concerned about it but they may want to reign in the number of top elites to avoid too many giveaways (e.g. free EC, SC etc.). No promos might be sufficient to do the trick (then again the FO promo last year got me to fly on DL). The real problem facing DL is that current medallion program has relatively little to offer true HVCs. A separate track based on spend would make sense. I wouldn't be surprised if they widended the bands between the medallion levels as well. It really makes no sense for Delta to base status purely on spend.

On the other hand, what motivates senior management at a public company is, as always, the stock price. That's more or less how they are conmpensated. To earn those big bonuses and cash in on their stock options, DL needs to generate income and have it grow each year. Part of that could come from reducing the $4.5 billion SM liability - seems to be an easy target. While Delta made money overall last year, they lost money flying passengers around because of loads ~82%. So to that end they cut capacity. By cutting capacity, they also reduced the ability to redeem awards using the calendar. A few years ago, AA's program manager said that the marginal cost of flying award passengers was about $10 IIRC since they were using excess capacity. With capacity cuts, award redemptions have to get tougher or that marginal cost will increase.

Most people seem to be using the PWM feature. Delta likes that. If they sell a skymile for 1.5 cpm and it is redemmed at 1 cpm, a $300 fare looks like a $450 fare on the income statement ^. But if that same skymile is redeemed for for 4.5 cpm on the award calendar, then a $6,000 fare looks like a $2,000 fare . It's one thing if those seats are otherwise flying empty but Delta is highly motivated to not allow that redemption to displace a revenue passenger. Is the award calendar truly broken or in fact working as intended? Regardless, I think a devaluation beyond this is highly unlikely since they have billions of dollars worth of forward agreements to sell these miles and Delta/Amex still need people to sign up for and use their credit cards. Then again, people are stupid.
This, in my opinion, is THE post of the thread. ^
Old Apr 16, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by sbjnyc

No, he wasn't wrong on this...it just hasn't come to fruition yet. He still maintains (as of the last time we talked about it) that DL is evaluating ways to separate FO benefits from CC benefits and truly reward loyalty for BIS miles. I've not asked him about it in a long while, mostly because it doesn't effect me directly. He has not ever really elaborated on this statement much so there is absolutely nothing there to share.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.