Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by jsmith50
I have added as much specific information as currently exists that I can share in the general forum. It's not like I pick up the phone and call my friend at DL and ask for him to relay the latest insider information. I have to wait for that information to come to me as he is able and/or willing to share. I have shared more specific information by PM with some in this thread and that can be corroborated and we will see how accurate that information is when it's broken publicly. Additionally, at least 1 other poster has attested to the fact, in this thread, that I have sources within DL that are high enough up to get things done and that have asssisted him in the past in a particularly challenging situation.

I'm fine with you believing I'm a rumor monger but my track record on this board speaks for itself. My goal since joining FT was to try to be helpful and assist others based on my experience with DL and my contacts at DL. This thread is no different.

For that matter, how do we know that you're not a DL insider here to spin doctor things away from the truth that is coming out in this thread and convince people that it is all fiction?
That's right....it's all part of my, and Delta's, evil plan. We're just sitting here, waiting for your eye to leave the ball. That that you've foiled our plan you better keep looking over your shoulder.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Deadtail
That's right....it's all part of my, and Delta's, evil plan. We're just sitting here, waiting for your eye to leave the ball. That that you've foiled our plan you better keep looking over your shoulder.
My point is that on a board such as this, no one has any more credibility than anyone else. I have no doubt that when the details break, I will be vindicated because what I am sharing is coming from a reputable source and, again, a source with a real name and title that has assisted others from FT in the not-so-distant past. It's difficult to fabricate a real person who, upon request from a fellow FTer through me, helped him resolve some issues. I recognize I'm not going to convince you, but you should find honesty in the fact that I'm not claiming that the final program details have been determined. My source is very clear that the details are still being ironed out and that they are reading internet feedback and discussing it internally and apparently that feedback, including from this thread, is reaching those in upper management at DL, well beyond the level of my friend.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Deadtail, do you think it's possible that Delta had a 'final' product to unveil this week, but pushed it back to make changes based on the feedback (that we know they have seen) posted on FT?

If you overheard or somehow found out some information about a major upcoming change that affects Delta travelers, I would hope you would share it with this community. I sure know that I would!

If you don't believe the rumors are true, then why do you keep viewing and posting to this thread? You aren't being attacked for not believing the rumors, and the "insiders" aren't able to defend the information they have obtained from various sources. Why keep attacking them? What do you gain by discrediting them?

If people overreact to rumors that prove to be unfounded, doesn't that just free you up to get better seats, better fares, more upgrades, and more award availability (after everyone burns their miles)? I don't really see a downside to you just avoiding this thread and laughing as the view count rises. I'm not telling you to go away, and I appreciate having a dichotomy of views to keep the discussion interesting.

I'd love to see you stick around to keep stirring the pot here, but I don't really see what's in it for you. Clearly the title of the thread is about a rumor... which as of yet has not been confirmed or denied. What is the harm in people posting to offer their personal reaction to information that is clearly only offered up as an unsubstantiated rumor?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Which is my point. Southwest took a extra year to refine their product. No one here knows what the final product is going to look like, even though they act like they do. No one even knows if the changes are going to be negative. Where were these insiders when Delta rolled out DM, which turned out to be great for many flyers.

This thread is full of people who are taking these rumors to heart, based on assertions from self proclaimed insiders who in reality know little more than Delta is looking at Skymiles, which they always do anyway.
(bolding mine)

In all seriousness, you truely believe there is a chance that the changes will not be negative? With such an opinion, it is not the posters you attack whose ability to reason seems to be impaired.

You can go on like the three monkeys all you want, the majority of us are going to take this information for what it is: a heads up by fellow FTers that serious negative changes are very likely to occur sooner rather than later in the form of going toward a more revenue based model. If I take their advice and do the logical thing and burn the majority of my DL mileage, how does that hurt me, you or DL?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by dcline414
What is the harm in people posting to offer their personal reaction to information that is clearly only offered up as an unsubstantiated rumor?
I'm sure the 1st guy to yell "FIRE" in a crowded theatre offered similar defense. Seriously, look how manic people become? Now, practically every sentence is "I or Me", "how I'm so important" and how "they MUST do what I say", blah, blah, blah...

We get it, something's up but as somebody wisely pointed out, there always is! You can be poised and ready to act without going insane and panic about rumor and conjecture.

Talk about a bunch of people I wouldn't want to be trapped with on an airplane during an emergency!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

If DL management could adhere to schedules, the busted award calendar would have been fixed 18 months ago.
Perhaps the award calendar was never on the list to be fixed in the first place, with those resources being put towards EOS? @:-)@:-) Remember that a possible upside to a pay with points system is that every flight becomes an award flight if you are willing to use the appropriate amount of points? All the problems of the calendar go away. So does the restriction to buy RT tickets.

Clearly, a small group here see potential personal benefit to the proposed changes (assuming that they actually give DL the amount of business they allege). Thus, any pushback here to the proposed changes appears to be a threat to them. They certainly seem to be doing their best to discourage such pushback.
Why not wait until you hear the new program details before passing judgement?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ADLFO
(bolding mine)

In all seriousness, you truely believe there is a chance that the changes will not be negative? With such an opinion, it is not the posters you attack whose ability to reason seems to be impaired.

You can go on like the three monkeys all you want, the majority of us are going to take this information for what it is: a heads up by fellow FTers that serious negative changes are very likely to occur sooner rather than later in the form of going toward a more revenue based model. If I take their advice and do the logical thing and burn the majority of my DL mileage, how does that hurt me, you or DL?
Was DM negative?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Why do people keep doubting that this is happening?do you really think DL would not come and say this is just a ridiculous rumor for something generating this much buzz? Would long time members put their reps on the line for a made up rumor? Would people be holding back booking of flights, apply for status match, burn their miles before the devaluation happens. It has been said its not happening today, but it is happening and if you are stuck then it's your own fault.

We believe this is true either by being in the focus groups, or having been told information or reading something maybe we shouldn't have seen,

Everyday DL postpones this announcement it is costing them money. I refuse to book any class of a paid ticket on DL until they tell me the TC that I am flying under. Yes, they are running a business but seriously this delay is ridiculous, this should have been announced in 4th qtr when other airlines announced their plans not in the middle of the qualifying year, it just shows that Anderson has no integrity, honesty or respect for their Medallions and now that he has given people reason to test the grass on the other side, they might not come back, I will not decide if I am going until I know the final details but to have the rumor floating out there for weeks is just a big FU to all of us.

End of rant!
MR_MAMA... we have quite often been on opposite sides of issues in the past. Isn't interesting how adversity brings people together?

Regrettably, DL management have demonstrated a propensity for underhanded, mid-year program changes.

Quoting from Anderson's self-congratulatory back-patting puff piece in this month's Sky magazine:

"We're glad you are flying with us. And we hope that gratitude shows in your every interaction with Delta... [We] embody the values laid out by our founder, C. E. Woolman, in our "Rules of the Road." Today our values guide us to care for one another and our customers, to act with honesty and integrity, and to always meet our commitments... [We] rely on our values to make the right decisions for our customers, co-workers and company every day... Delta's... values remain constant and, we believe, make ours the airline customers will rely on for years to come."

What tripe!

Is the man so guileful that that he can make such a statement without compunction?

Or, is he so far removed from the detail that he is totally unaware that the actions of his lieutenants sap his credibility?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:12 pm
Suspended

MR_MAMA... we have quite often been on opposite sides of issues in the past. Isn't interesting how adversity brings people together?

Regrettably, DL management have demonstrated a propensity for underhanded, mid-year program changes.

Quoting from Anderson's self-congratulatory back-patting puff piece in this month's Sky magazine:

"We're glad you are flying with us. And we hope that gratitude shows in your every interaction with Delta... [We] embody the values laid out by our founder, C. E. Woolman, in our "Rules of the Road." Today our values guide us to care for one another and our customers, to act with honesty and integrity, and to always meet our commitments... [We] rely on our values to make the right decisions for our customers, co-workers and company every day... Delta's... values remain constant and, we believe, make ours the airline customers will rely on for years to come."

What tripe!

Is the man so guileful that that he can make such a statement without compunction?

Or, is he so far removed from the detail that he is totally unaware that the actions of his lieutenants sap his credibility?
If you look at Deltas financials, he's doing a great job. Customer satisfaction numbers are up, complaints are down.

Could the problem be yours?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
If you look at Deltas financials, he's doing a great job. Customer satisfaction numbers are up, complaints are down.

Could the problem be yours?
Ah yes, another cracker-jack analyst prepared to draw a line through too-few data points, too close together, and extrapolate the line to infinity.

I hope DL remains successful, but a few profitable quarters is not sufficient proof that it will.

As to your last question... yes, actually, the problem is mine. And that problem is that the SM program is run by folks who are quite comfortable luring business one year by describing the benefits that will be received the following year... then devaluing those benefits when they find that convenient.

That is what makes Anderson's patently false statement "Today our values guide us to ... always meet our commitments..." so ludicrous.

Actually, it not "my" problem. It is a problem commonly shared by the FF community. As others have noted here.

Why do I get the feeling that your protestations here are akin to the distractions created by one person while the second person pick's my pocket?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Was DM negative?
It was intended to be a competitor to UA GS, and as such it was a wasted opportunity to actually create an HVC tier.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
When you're right you're right.
But you are wrong.

Obviously you need some help with the definition of the word "target."
Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM
Was DM negative?
It was to non-DMs
Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by HongKonger
But you are wrong.

Obviously you need some help with the definition of the word "target."
Deadtail's response was in regard to my post comparing this rumor to forecasting snow in ATL.

Obviously Deadtail believes the rumor to be false, but he isn't wrong for doing so unless Delta ever responds to the rumor and says that it is well-founded. NWA/flygirl posted a few (dozen?) pages back that she hadn't heard anything about upcoming changes, which in my mind means that they are either not immenent or Delta is keeping their own in the dark about very drastic changes.

I suspect that they have some kinks to iron out before they communicate the upcoming changes to employees and make a public announcement. I expect that the changes, regardless of the announcement date, will be effective by the end of this year.

This only leaves questions about what will happen next year to those who qualify for higher status under the current program than under the new program, and what will be the impact on earning/redeeming RDMs. MQMs are irrelevant unless next year Delta decides not to honor elite status earned this year.

But you can't beat up on a guy for not believing an unconfirmed rumor. After all, Delta could scrap any changes and prove Deadtail right (like apparently happened with the rumored changes at UA)!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by javabytes
It was intended to be a competitor to UA GS, and as such it was a wasted opportunity to actually create an HVC tier.
I don't know if that is altogether true, but as a UA GS, it compares well. If you want to talk devaluation, head on over to the UA board and click on a GS thread.

Ah yes, another cracker-jack analyst prepared to draw a line through too-few data points, too close together, and extrapolate the line to infinity.

I hope DL remains successful, but a few profitable quarters is not sufficient proof that it will.

As to your last question... yes, actually, the problem is mine. And that problem is that the SM program is run by folks who are quite comfortable luring business one year by describing the benefits that will be received the following year... then devaluing those benefits when they find that convenient.

That is what makes Anderson's patently false statement "Today our values guide us to ... always meet our commitments..." so ludicrous.

Actually, it not "my" problem. It is a problem commonly shared by the FF community. As others have noted here.

Why do I get the feeling that your protestations here are akin to the distractions created by one person while the second person pick's my pocket?
I suppose it's life's outlooks that has our perspectives different. Let me know how going through life hat in hand works out for you, because that completely describes your persona on flyertalk.

Originally Posted by dcline414
Deadtail's response was in regard to my post comparing this rumor to forecasting snow in ATL.

Obviously Deadtail believes the rumor to be false, but he isn't wrong for doing so unless Delta ever responds to the rumor and says that it is well-founded. NWA/flygirl posted a few (dozen?) pages back that she hadn't heard anything about upcoming changes, which in my mind means that they are either not immenent or Delta is keeping their own in the dark about very drastic changes.

I suspect that they have some kinks to iron out before they communicate the upcoming changes to employees and make a public announcement. I expect that the changes, regardless of the announcement date, will be effective by the end of this year.

This only leaves questions about what will happen next year to those who qualify for higher status under the current program than under the new program, and what will be the impact on earning/redeeming RDMs. MQMs are irrelevant unless next year Delta decides not to honor elite status earned this year.

But you can't beat up on a guy for not believing an unconfirmed rumor. After all, Delta could scrap any changes and prove Deadtail right (like apparently happened with the rumored changes at UA)!
To be clear, I dispute the details discussed here. I completely agree there are some program adjustments coming.

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 30, 2012 at 4:52 pm Reason: Consolidation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.