Skymiles Change Rumor?

Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by squatch
i have not read all 59 pages on this thread so far, but i can tell you this:

i am based in NYC. because of the gate swap at LGA and some other logistical reasons, i switched ALL of my flying this year to delta. the reason i did this was to centralize my miles in one spot and make those miles count for my family since delta flies pretty much everywhere.

hearing rumor of a spending-based model rather than a miles-based model is probably going to chase me away. i fly two or three times a week, most often to destinations where fares are in the sub-$300 range. this earns me a nice amount of segments and probably an average amount of miles, but my spend is not large. there is no way to change this. what i spend is up for review by my company and clients and dropping excess money on tickets is not acceptable.

it sounds like delta is not interested in promoting loyalty in customers like me because i'm not flying on $3000 business class tickets every time i step on to a plane.

i'll wait and see what happens, but if it's anything like the accumulated rumors posted here, i'll be taking my business elsewhere. it's a shame, though, since delta has successfully acquired most of the gates at LGA and has a significant presence at JFK. flying will be a bit less convenient for me, but if i'm not the kind of customer valued by delta, i'll just go away.
You and I are in similar situations. However, while I didn't see this particular (revenue based) change coming, I did see how DL was treating its highest-level medallions and sought status elsewhere. Like you, I'm not hub locked like so many of our friends in ATL, MSP, DTW, etc. I know they may not like what DL is doing, but most of them won't have a great deal of latitude to switch primary carriers either. However, people in FL, CA, NY, MA and a great number of other popultion rich areas do have a choice of airlines. I would get my status match letter ready to go and when this becomes official, make sure you send it off immediately.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by fti
Actually it doesn't say anything. Delta doesn't engage hardly any of us on FT. When they do, it is a one-sided "conversation."
they have contacted me And it was constructive.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
StayingHomeIsBetter: what if I told you that many DL execs that I meet, once they hear I participate in FT they say first, "but you seem so normal" then after that ice breaker they ask if I know you or know what your 'story' is?

Apparently many, many people at DL read your posts. (You have a memorable handle). But they don't engage you, doesn't that say something? Possibly about the tone of your posts?
It's the material element of posts that concerns DL management. The talk about "tone" is just an excuse.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ADLFO
You and I are in similar situations. However, while I didn't see this particular (revenue based) change coming, I did see how DL was treating its highest-level medallions and sought status elsewhere. Like you, I'm not hub locked like so many of our friends in ATL, MSP, DTW, etc. I know they may not like what DL is doing, but most of them won't have a great deal of latitude to switch primary carriers either. However, people in FL, CA, NY, MA and a great number of other popultion rich areas do have a choice of airlines. I would get my status match letter ready to go and when this becomes official, make sure you send it off immediately.
I know your advice is not meant for everyone, but you brought up something interesting. At the risk of restating what I said yesterday, I think DL knows it's playing to a largely captive audience.

Keeping in mind my home (and neighboring) airports, if I wanted to switch to a different carrier, let's look at what the options are:
* United? They seem to be struggling to get people from point A to B.
* Southwest? No thanks.
* American? It's hubs are poorly placed for about 70% of my travel
* US

By process of elimination, I am stuck flying US.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by dcline414
Hey! I resemble that comment!

Seriously though, we may be rude, crude, and socially unacceptable... but we aren't evil conniving maniacs!
it only takes one... seriously, how hard would it be to type-up an "internal memo" and post a want-ad "job listing?..." It has to be easier than faking a moon landing!
Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by fti
Actually it doesn't say anything. Delta doesn't engage hardly any of us on FT. When they do, it is a one-sided "conversation."
How do you know they don't reach out, possibly one-on-one?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:56 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I will agree with the lack of feedback. They are welcome to converse here whenever they wish. It is obvious that they have chosen opt out of this discussion for whatever reason.
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
An equally valid explanation would be that DL management have made up their minds and aren't looking for input.
I am convinced that this was the reason Southwest did not engage FT in discussion prior to launching Rapid Rewards 2.0. They become such experts in the new program that they actually believe there is nothing new to be learned.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:57 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
And how will the Amex shills be able to claim "a free roundtrip" when the cost of the ticket is not known?
Like this: southwest.com/freetickets
Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL DM
;
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
How do you know they don't reach out, possibly one-on-one?
;-). They do.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by AUDirt
I know your advice is not meant for everyone, but you brought up something interesting. At the risk of restating what I said yesterday, I think DL knows it's playing to a largely captive audience.

Keeping in mind my home (and neighboring) airports, if I wanted to switch to a different carrier, let's look at what the options are:
* United? They seem to be struggling to get people from point A to B.
* Southwest? No thanks.
* American? It's hubs are poorly placed for about 70% of my travel
* US

By process of elimination, I am stuck flying US.
I can see one realistic possibility of a good outcome for you in the realatively near term. US/AA merge and keep the AA FFP. Maybe not probable, but definately possible, and the odds seem to be increasing daily.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 2:01 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dcline414
This thread got me interested, so I went digging through Delta's recent SEC filings... I'd say the writing has been pretty much on the wall the whole time:
  • Delta Investor Relations Day 2011 Presentation:
    • Slide 32 (clarity of customer value, differentiated services):
    • Slide 44 (Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first I've seen of "VIP Select"):
  • 8-K Filed 9/13/11:
    • Slide 8 (Upcoming: Revamped eCommerce platforms enable "revenue innovation", Enhance SkyMiles to reward the "best" customers):

The "enhance program to reward best customers" objective exactly matches Southwest's hints about Rapid Rewards. Those hints began between 1 and 2 years before the new program was launched. Other IT projects apparently had higher priority, so RR 2.0 was delayed by close to a year.

The sequence of events here is so similar to Southwest's that I wonder whether Delta hired a key participant (or consultant) from Southwest's project.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: many
nice find.
and ouch.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
it only takes one... seriously, how hard would it be to type-up an "internal memo" and post a want-ad "job listing?..." It has to be easier than faking a moon landing!
...or denying that there's any truth to the rumor on FT, apparently!
Old Mar 23, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nsx
The "enhance program to reward best customers" objective exactly matches Southwest's hints about Rapid Rewards. Those hints began between 1 and 2 years before the new program was launched. Other IT projects apparently had higher priority, so RR 2.0 was delayed by close to a year.

The sequence of events here is so similar to Southwest's that I wonder whether Delta hired a key participant (or consultant) from Southwest's project.
Interesting...and I was flamed earlier on this thread for suggesting that Delta would market their Amex like WN does their Visa.

Last edited by Deemus7; Mar 23, 2012 at 3:01 pm
Old Mar 23, 2012, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by nsx

Remember that job posting thread a while back? The guy they hired is a pretty smart guy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.