Skymiles Change Rumor?

Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadatosiberia
Wowza - 2 day hiatus, and this gong show is still rolling with steam!

I am guessing that DL has figured out that they need to communicate ASAP, or maybe not... might have been in their interest NOT to put their name on some of the job postings, etc, but maybe it was their way of getting around SEC rules??? Let it out, people rebel before it actualy happens, then when it goes through everyone just lies down and takes it. May also be connected to the bigger gonger over at UA/CO right now - like how bad news from government comes out during disasters...
I highly doubt they used job postings as a deliberate channel to float program changes - actually there is just no way.

The job postings were sloppy incompetence, most likely by the recruitment vendor - many of them take the req info from the customer and paste it into the job ad they post online - in this case, it's causing their customer (Delta) quite a few PR problems. The only thing to speculate is whether or not Delta has been screaming at the recruiting agencies for doing this...or terminated their contracts.

What they need to do now is figure out how to respond to this mess - silence just ain't gonna cut it.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Wowza - 2 day hiatus, and this gong show is still rolling with steam!...
Yes this thread is fast becoming a legend in its own lifetime
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Fasten your seat belts. You are in for a bumpy ride.

Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Similar to 1MM getting lifetime FO. Now it's "complimentary annual FO". I think we can infer where this is heading.....
Yea, this and other examples already cited are why, just based on cold hard facts I don't trust Delta (I'm sorry to say that to you Delta, but unfortunately, it is the objective truth that you can't be trusted.) So while I continue to see the good in Delta's service I take everything they say to me with a grain of salt these days. Given the history of Delta taking away already promised benefits, the lifetime (oops I mean annual complimentary) benefits are a much, much smaller incentive for me to continue to fly them than in the past.

Based on my experiences with AA I have much less concern that already earned benefits will be taken away or program devaluations will occur without warning, and I'd put UA inbetween DL and AA on the earned level of trust scale.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by babe11
Hmmmm....thought that was you. Absolutely hilarious comments made by someone who has a history with "The Hog Incident". No wonder the reference made to "roll in the mud".
Different guy, babe. That Bubba was in 7 figure salary territory and probably flies by private jet.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Oh they know about FT for sure. I can see how they would think it was 90% nut cases on here though. Most don't come across as individuals with any business understanding at all.
maybe more like 75% but I get your point.

Originally Posted by longtimelurker
This is spot on. Regardless of whether we think that DL should be more engaged on this forum, the fact is that DL has no obligation to communicate on this forum. If we want to encourage DL to be more responsive, then we must first improve greatly on the quality of our own dialogue.
^^ I'm been saying this ever since us NW folk were dumped into this forum

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
What's good for DL isn't really good for us.
Then nothing is going to change with that attitude. I for one, wish we could do more to foster their thinking that we are not mostly sLUTs and gamers.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney

Then nothing is going to change with that attitude. I for one, wish we could do more to foster their thinking that we are not mostly sLUTs and gamers.
People on here need to stop acting so emotionally about a business. On one thread, FT posters are bragging about the free SM they got from DL for a small problem, and on another they are complaining that low awards are near-impossible to find. It's simple economics. You can't have it both ways. Dishing out a ton of miles is going to make them worth less. Same with elite, making everyone elite makes nobody elite. Revenue based earning and redemption would solve a lot of problems that people experience with DL and MOST-IMPORTANTLY, it would make the system a lot tougher to game.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
mmm - now I really am interested in meeting Mr Hudson. A drinking competition to see who can drink who under the table. Oh my God folks start taking bets, start a new thread.
It'll look a lot like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUAueFkVYvA
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

Fasten your seat belts. You are in for a bumpy ride.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the captain has turned on the fasten seatbelt sign, so we ask everyone to return to their seats and ensure your seatbelts are are fastened low and tight across your lap. We will also be discontinuing cabin service at this time... Not because of the turbulence but just to save a few dollars on catering.

If you wish to purchase a $7 beverage or $5 snack that cost Delta $0.50, please ring your call button. However we can only accept Delta branded AmEx cards for payment, so you will find an application in the seatback in front of you if you do not yet have one.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:13 pm

Delta Doesn't Give a Damn About You

Replace the term "San Diego Chargers" with "Delta"....

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-give-damn-you

To paraphrase... Delta is always gonna be just nice enough to you to keep you coming back, but at the end of the day, they don't give a *$@# about you. Why the hell should you let them ruin your day?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcline414
ladies and gentlemen, the captain has turned on the fasten seatbelt sign, so we ask everyone to return to their seats and ensure your seatbelts are are fastened low and tight across your lap. We will also be discontinuing cabin service at this time... Not because of the turbulence but just to save a few dollars on catering.

If you wish to purchase a $7 beverage or $5 snack that cost delta $0.50, please ring your call button. However we can only accept delta branded amex cards for payment, so you will find an application in the seatback in front of you if you do not yet have one.
rotflmfao:d
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
mmm - now I really am interested in meeting Mr Hudson. A drinking competition to see who can drink who under the table. Oh my God folks start taking bets, start a new thread.
- thanks
It'll look a lot like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUAueFkVYvA

EXCELLENT Youtube
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bubbashow
People on here need to stop acting so emotionally about a business. On one thread, FT posters are bragging about the free SM they got from DL for a small problem, and on another they are complaining that low awards are near-impossible to find. It's simple economics. You can't have it both ways. Dishing out a ton of miles is going to make them worth less. Same with elite, making everyone elite makes nobody elite. Revenue based earning and redemption would solve a lot of problems that people experience with DL and MOST-IMPORTANTLY, it would make the system a lot tougher to game.
Some legitimate claims here. I for one found it incomprehensible that DL threw me 25,000 bonus miles in December as a result of a MX cancellation that forced a reroute and delayed my arrival by exactly 90 minutes. I completely get that this system is unsustainable from a purely business standpoint.

Here's the problem...these issues were Delta's creation! I literally said nothing during that delay, didn't even get a survey to fill out. Three days later, my account gets a bunch of additional miles. It's like the post up-thread a ways. Delta is waking up to a Mardi Grad-induced hangover and needs to get these miles off the books. The easiest (and most profitable) way to do this is by devaluing them. I know that there are people who truly squeeze the system dry by complaining about a hot towel in first class being lukewarm or other insignificant things, but these upcoming changes (should they be as bad as rumored) feel like a cold shower to those of us who did nothing but put our BIS over the last __ years. Delta offered a loyalty program to us with certain stipulations, and this program was designed to induce certain behavior. After realizing the benefits of that behavior (revenue), it appears that Delta is now reneging. It would be like a bank telling a customer, "Hey, if you finance your house through us, we will throw in a free trip to Hawaii!" only to tell the customer after doing so, "Sorry, but we got in too deep with our promises and we aren't going to be able to fulfill that one."

Call me a moron if you will, but I strongly believe that business goes beyond simple economics. Delta will of course make decisions that make financial sense, but they should consider the broader impact that these changes will have on their customer base. There are definitely people on here sharing emotional reactions, sure, and you know what? DELTA SHOULD ABSOLUTELY CARE ABOUT THAT. Emotion is a powerful thing in a business relationship. One of the reasons I fly Delta and passionately defend Delta is because I feel a connection to the company. I admit to watching their "flash mob" YouTube video about a dozen times and sharing it with friends and family. Will this loyalty from "gamers" such as myself be enough to convince Delta to not gut the SkyMiles program? Maybe, maybe not...

No one is arguing that HVC's should be treated well, and I'll freely admit that you should have better benefits than me, a lowly DM who only spends $15k/year. There's room for both of us at the table.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:38 pm
HRS

Programs: DL Plat. 2V Guest Rewards
Speculation - Yes / Caution - Yes

I agree there's much speculation here. I think too the job posting with DELTA's name attached was a outside recruiter not understanding their error.

Enough here for me to act with caution until there's some word from DELTA.

In my dealings with DELTA (and now all) I have found DELTA's "The Rules of the Road" a good book to follow and post the above in honesty, stand ready to admit my mistake, and fly on.

Last edited by HRS; Mar 22, 2012 at 12:52 pm
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Hey Bubbashow, what kind of radio show do you do? Can I hear it online?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.