Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
I see no reference to DL's job postings for revenue-based award redemption.
Without an explanation for that, this so-called denial from "someone" is completely meaningless.
I remember that job posting. It seemed a bit more ambiguous than your letting on.

BTW- for better or worse, Skymiles, as all FF programs, are revenue based. Airlines just chose a way to calculate revenue based on metrics, rather than real dollars. Inside the offices of Virginia ave miles are spoken of as revenue and they know what they are worth.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:44 am

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I would love to see a change in the way status is calculated. FWIW, I have just started flying DL and flown 24 segements (12 round trips and 13K MQMS) since Jan 1 which have all been M class typically booked 1-2 days prior to travel. ATL based doesn't help nor does travel mostly to to MCO, JAX, or TPA, however my $$$ has been $8,800 thus far (avg $750/RT fares)and I am 50% on middle seats with most seats assigned at the gate. I doubt they would prefer for me to split for warmer waters.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by yohanson
I'm not sure if I'm a fake Diamond or not. I just ran the numbers YTD for my Delta travel and the results are:

Business travel- $3933.03, 14,816 MQMs, 20 MQS, $0.27/MQM
Leisure travel- $1070.89, 25,044 MQMs, 8 MQS, $0.04/MQM

I guess if you were to extrapolate, My spending should be about $20K at the end of the year at the current rate.
There has been a lot of talk of HVCs throughout this thread yet none of us knows what it really takes to reach that level. Granted there are some outliers here who have shared extraordinary spending for a year but I'm assuming the majority of us are much closer to each other.

It would be interesting to start a separate thread working off of this one where we all shared what we expect our status to be and how much we expect to spend on Delta by the end of 2012.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by H53Epilot
Maybe I'm an outlier, but I would love to see a change in the way status is calculated. FWIW, I have just started flying DL and flown 24 segements (12 round trips and 13K MQMS) since Jan 1 which have all been M class typically booked 1-2 days prior to travel. ATL based doesn't help nor does travel mostly to to MCO, JAX, or TPA, however my $$$ has been $8,800 thus far (avg $750/RT fares)and I am 50% on middle seats with most seats assigned at the gate. I doubt they would prefer for me to split for warmer waters.
Here here. I'm plus $50K on delta this year already. I know I'm in.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Deadtail
... Which led me to believe if anything the smoke is related to an additional HVC program or corporate travel program on top of sky miles.

Everyone take a breath.
- So it would be something like BusinessExtrAA but with more perks for high revenue/business class travel?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Jump
There has been a lot of talk of HVCs throughout this thread yet none of us knows what it really takes to reach that level. Granted there are some outliers here who have shared extraordinary spending for a year but I'm assuming the majority of us are much closer to each other.

It would be interesting to start a separate thread working off of this one where we all shared what we expect our status to be and how much we expect to spend on Delta by the end of 2012.
I'm on it.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by elsie
There is much the same discussion going on right now on the Lufthansa Miles and More Forum regarding changes on tap by LH management.

Bait:
2nd Tier status has a REDUCED Mileage requirement. Earning Top Tier miles within two calendar years will in future be rewarded with two eVouchers for upgrades to the next highest service class.

Switch:
Only First and Business class tickets will be counted towards Top tier status
No mileage or voucher upgrades from discounted business fares. Lower credited mileage for discounted business fares.

How would this forum react if only Business fares counted towards Diamond and Platinum qualification with lower earnings even when flying in business?
Outrage?

Lufthansa is putting it into action. Status based on spending. They are not raising redemption levels as we speculate Delta will, however the earning possibilities are being reduced.

Delta may (will) follow, so I think this is the direction for all airlines. Which companies will stay with the classic format? I can see the advertisments “we reward your LOYALTY!”

BURN YOUR MILES!

Is Goldman Sachs an airline consultant?
If DL does what LH are doing above....wait for it....it would be my wildest dream come true.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Bill_61
I resemble that remark. I flew 147 segments last year, mostly 4-segment round trips from $250-$500. Total Delta spend in excess of $17k. I guess that makes me a sLUT, and I am sure there are some HVCs that will look down upon me as I scarf down my Biscoffs with my UG. I chose Delta several times over cheaper alternatives b/c I knew I was likely to UG and in order to maintain my DM status. I suspect there are a lot more of me out there --especially domestic flyers --than the $50k-$100k spenders. I am loyal to Delta primarily for the UG availability (and I have not seen the deterioration this year that some others have seen). I'm not going to declare that I'm outta here; I'll wait to see what the program means for me. That's what it will come down to -- individuals deciding their future loyalty based on what the "enhanced" SkyMiles will mean to them. Delta will make the decisions they think are best for their business, and I will make the decision best for me.
You took the words right out of my mouth! I fly 50 round trips/year from Chicago to different cities, sometimes Delta hubs, sometimes not, but I always fly on Delta because their elite program is best for me. I get my status based on segments (all of my destinations are within 500 miles so I'll never get enough elite qualifying miles). My flight costs are in the $250 - $500range since I am not allowed to spend thousands of dollars on first class flights while traveling for business, however if I was able to spend $1000+ per flight and therefore be an HVC, it wouldn't currently affect me because I still wouldn't earn enough EQMs to get elite status and would have to qualify based on segments. For this reason I understand the change, and I hope they will make it so that people can earn status/rewards by the amount they spend as well, however I do not want that to be the only way to earn status/rewards.

I am glad these potential changes have been brought to my attention in advance so that I can start looking into other Airline's frequent flyer programs...that way if/when Delta releases information about the changes, I will be prepared to compare the different programs and decide which is best for me (either stick with Delta or move to a different airline)
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by mikehillwig
I read through 17 pages of this forum before chiming in. Thank you for helping me waste entirely way too much time on a rumor.

Here are a few thoughts:
  • First, this hasn't been published, so anything could change at any moment. Yes, there is enough "evidence" to make us think this is a done deal, but nothing has been announced yet.
  • Does this crowd normally get this worked up over rumors? Sheesh!
  • For those of you who say that Delta doesn't value your business, hogwash. They value your business, but they value the business of someone who spends more money than you even more.
  • The whole idea of a frequent flyer program was to give people a reason to keep coming back. What Delta is allegedly doing is kind of brilliant. They're going to reward their biggest spenders with the biggest rewards. Those are the people you WANT to keep coming back and NEVER going to your competition. If you don't spend as much, you'll not get rewarded as much. They're effectively removing the incentive to do mileage runs.
  • The premium customers who buy YBMJAF fares are the ones who pay the bills. Those customers who buy LUT fares? They're called gravy.
  • Those of you who are canceling your AMEX cards and burning your bras, I have three words: knee jerk reaction.

For me, I'm not sure how I'll fare, if you'll pardon the pun. Almost all of my 2011 travel was either A or S fares (discounted first/BE) or F fares on AS. Based on that pattern, I'd do well. This year, I'm not flying nearly as much, and I'm typically flying on domestic K fares with one or two TATL S fares. I will easily make FO in the existing program. But it'll be a stretch for me to make GM.

Here is the thing: If I really want to fly in the front of the plane, I'll have to spend the money. If the program changes as expected, it could be rough. I could stop flying today and Delta wouldn't miss me. There are customers who give them MUCH more business than I do.
The point is to still reward your big spenders by adding a Global Services type level that UA has and keep the current program and fix the award calendar...
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by yohanson
I'm not sure if I'm a fake Diamond or not. I just ran the numbers YTD for my Delta travel and the results are:

Business travel- $3933.03, 14,816 MQMs, 20 MQS, $0.27/MQM
Leisure travel- $1070.89, 25,044 MQMs, 8 MQS, $0.04/MQM

I guess if you were to extrapolate, My spending should be about $20K at the end of the year at the current rate.
20K spend for the year would be far above average but the old CO top tier was 30-32K plus I think.

You would certainly be a valued customer to DL however 20K PA would not put you in the top bracket IMHO.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Bill_61
I resemble that remark. I flew 147 segments last year, mostly 4-segment round trips from $250-$500. Total Delta spend in excess of $17k. I guess that makes me a sLUT, and I am sure there are some HVCs that will look down upon me as I scarf down my Biscoffs with my UG. I chose Delta several times over cheaper alternatives b/c I knew I was likely to UG and in order to maintain my DM status. I suspect there are a lot more of me out there --especially domestic flyers --than the $50k-$100k spenders. I am loyal to Delta primarily for the UG availability (and I have not seen the deterioration this year that some others have seen). I'm not going to declare that I'm outta here; I'll wait to see what the program means for me. That's what it will come down to -- individuals deciding their future loyalty based on what the "enhanced" SkyMiles will mean to them. Delta will make the decisions they think are best for their business, and I will make the decision best for me.
You took the words right out of my mouth! I fly 50 round trips/year from Chicago to different cities, sometimes Delta hubs, sometimes not, but I always fly on Delta because their elite program is best for me. I get my status based on segments (all of my destinations are within 500 miles so I'll never get enough elite qualifying miles). My flight costs are in the $250 - $500range since I am not allowed to spend thousands of dollars on first class flights while traveling for business, however if I was able to spend $1000+ per flight and therefore be an HVC, it wouldn't currently affect me because I still wouldn't earn enough EQMs to get elite status and would have to qualify based on segments. For this reason I understand the change, and I hope they will make it so that people can earn status/rewards by the amount they spend as well, however I do not want that to be the only way to earn status/rewards.

I am glad these potential changes have been brought to my attention in advance so that I can start looking into other Airline's frequent flyer programs...that way if/when Delta releases information about the changes, I will be prepared to compare the different programs and decide which is best for me (either stick with Delta or move to a different airline)
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
It seems to me that to roll this out and continue to do FCM is that DL is shooting itself in the foot.

I can easily save $200 and up on flights right now buying A/P vs. B/Y and I don't have to wait for battlefield, I get SkyPriority, free luggage and I have no need to get any status at all.

So why would I try to achieve any status it only gives me a few extra benefits (SWU's etc) and I actually lose one (picking my seat early).
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Or in other words, it seems that DL is getting rid of the ham in the ham sandwich - the middle layer, and will be only left with a thin top (a few real HVCs) and then the very bottom (low(est) value price sensitive Joe Blow flyers with zero loyalty and who make their decision based on a $0.50 price difference).

I think this is exactly what DL wants.

Seems that DL doesn't realize that "you can't make a ham sandwich without the ham" (the ham being the majority of the current 'gamer' Medallions), nor that needing to fill the remainder of the seats with Joe Blow flyers will inevitably end up devaluating the program and the experience for HVCs, who are not bound to feel good seeing that the pax next to them paid many fold less than they did, as DL had to drop the price (more than before, as it has few loyal pax left) to fill the empty seats closer in.
Because of all the hub captives there will always be enough SO GM PM to fill the rest of the seats. who knows, DL might be trying to go even leaner, cut back more flights and just concentrate on MAKING A PROFIT for it's share holders.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Deadtail
I took it that no one is actively monitoring the site in order to provide us or management feedback. It was pretty clear by our conversation that many people look at the site.
I will agree with the lack of feedback. They are welcome to converse here whenever they wish. It is obvious that they have chosen opt out of this dicussion for whatever reason.

Thus, the rumor mill shall continue to grind......
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
It seems to me that to roll this out and continue to do FCM is that DL is shooting itself in the foot.

I can easily save $200 and up on flights right now buying A/P vs. B/Y and I don't have to wait for battlefield, I get SkyPriority, free luggage and I have no need to get any status at all.

So why would I try to achieve any status it only gives me a few extra benefits (SWU's etc) and I actually lose one (picking my seat early).
Actually, that sounds like a great client for DL. Maximizing revenue with A/P purchases and filling the front cabin with paid fares. Yes, in your case, it would be the loss of a B fare, but most people (and elites) aren't buying as high as B's. So, if others do that, most likely, DL is upselling.

Good for DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.