Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by mtkeller
This is a big unresolved thing in my head. How on earth is Daddy AmEx going to react to this? I'm sure that DL has consulted, but I just don't see the role AmEx will be playing in all this. Also, Membership Rewards becomes pretty worthless under this change, as DL was one of the few remaining reasonable partners (assuming you know how to work the DL system).

Oh, I wonder how all of our "real HVCs" are going to feel when they see the kettles getting big bonus SkyPoints (for lack of a better name) for their $9 priority boarding fee and $80 economy comfort seat fee on their sLUT fare. The info posted here has made clear that SkyPoints will be awarded for whatever spending people do, and I can just see DL throwing out more and more of them to incentivize people to buy those extra things.
There are lots of ways to get Amex involved. You can still get points per dollar of Amex spend, bonus points on your flights for having a certain level of Amex card, lower redemption levels or better tier availability for certain levels of Amex card, etc. They will definitely figure out a way to keep Amex happy.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by rylan
DL would probably be using it to go along with revenue based redemption to track and analyze flights in order to maximize miles spend.
Do you think the redemption changes are going to be more complicated than simply expanding the "pay with miles" program to all SM members and eliminating the award calendar and award tickets?

That would explain why they haven't addressed the award calendar issues, and would enable Delta to manage all inventory through pricing, rather than tracking award seats as well. Plus it would more or less "fix" the value of the outstanding miles, so it would control their liability on the books.

Not that I'm a proponent of this, but I would assume it is more or less inevitable.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by VBF
27 pages, over 350 posts, and over 15,000 views. All based on speculation. This thread is based on nothing but speculation. We're not even discussing an educated guess; this is all PURE SPECULATION. Nothing here is based in fact; pure theory.
I've been around FT long enough to see that there are posts that have absolutely no chance of becoming reality, and some that show a logical progression. Others have been fairly spot on. It seems there's questionable circumstantial information... not really enough to kick into real consideration, but there's some logic there.

I recall the UA/CO merger which had some rumors of what the new program would be like. Plenty of heated discussion, and in the end, the reality was that it did resemble some parts of what was rumored but not exactly what was posted. So there can be nuggets of valid information in speculative posts.

Regardless, everything should be taken with a grain, tablet, or bucket, of salt.

But given that I've lost hope on DL, I occasionally drop by the forum to see how much further my SkyPesos have devalued and how much more frequent flyer unfriendly, and loyalty reducing steps DL can take.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by dcline414
Do you think the redemption changes are going to be more complicated than simply expanding the "pay with miles" program to all SM members and eliminating the award calendar and award tickets?

That would explain why they haven't addressed the award calendar issues, and would enable Delta to manage all inventory through pricing, rather than tracking award seats as well. Plus it would more or less "fix" the value of the outstanding miles, so it would control their liability on the books.

Not that I'm a proponent of this, but I would assume it is more or less inevitable.
Again, how do they provide inventory to their partners under a purely fare-based award scheme? I mean, it's not like they provide much inventory to partners, but it seems there's going to have to be something beyond fare-based. Although, maybe they'll do something like let partners have seats from the cheapest revenue buckets. AF already draws their Premium Voyageur award space from a bucket that's also for revenue purposes. DL could offer E inventory as partner award space as well. Not sure what they'd do for first/business, however.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:53 am

Again, how do they provide inventory to their partners under a purely fare-based award scheme?
Perhaps Delta would just allow you to pay with miles the same way as they do now, with Delta paying the partner for the portion of the ticket you bought with miles.

Not sure what they'd do for first/business, however.
Can't you use "pay with miles" on F/J tickets? (I'm not a DL CC holder, and refuse to give in to their pressure tactics.) How would that be different than their current redemption policies?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Can't you use "pay with miles" on F/J tickets? (I'm not a DL CC holder, and refuse to give in to their pressure tactics.) How would that be different than their current redemption policies?
Yes you can... just that it'll cost you over 500k miles for that discount intl J ticket whereas it could be 120k-200k miles for an award.
This is where many of us are extremely worried about the new program...
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
And how will the Amex shills be able to claim "a free rountrip" when the cost of the ticket is not known?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:06 pm

Perhaps Delta would just allow you to pay with miles the same way as they do now, with Delta paying the partner for the portion of the ticket you bought with miles.
I think that the question was related to members of partner FFPs redeeming for DL awards.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
I am not sure I am a HVC or not. I buy Y and J tickets when I need to. But I buy L/U/T for leisure. And I will do a MR (or the like -- a totally discretionary trip) to maintain status.
It adds up to Diamond.
But I have normally given 100% of my business to Delta (and Skyteam partners) unless they were WAY out of the ballpark farewise. So normally I do (ex MSP) pay a premium to fly Delta (and since the merger, I find myself connecting more an more, despite being in a hub). I am pretty sure the whole mess would move to another airline if the changes are too dramatic. Award availability already sucks. Elite status has been the driver of my loyalty.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
And how will the Amex shills be able to claim "a free rountrip" when the cost of the ticket is not known?
My guess would be a travel voucher, which will have restrictions similar to the new E- fare class and forfeited if you make any change.

Basically the same as what you get now: enough miles for free travel on any day that doesn't end in "Y"
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:10 pm

So speculation is that DL will move to a revenue-based earning scheme, similar to what SkyBonus already is. But I'm sitting on 300+SMs. I understand how earning could be affected, but does that mean 25K domestic redemptions may also be gone?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by canadatosiberia
On another note, whether the changes are real or imagined, I bet DL is freaking about this craziness on FT.
Based on past history with DL here, I would doubt that FT is having any impact at Virginia Avenue.

David
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by akonradi
I think that the question was related to members of partner FFPs redeeming for DL awards.
Maybe the same, but in reverse? Partner pays delta in cash when FF member redeems partner miles for "pay with miles" award travel...
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
I'm dubbing the new program SKY DOLLARS!

And I for one can't wait
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Based on past history with DL here, I would doubt that FT is having any impact at Virginia Avenue.
I don't think it's having no impact, I just think the impact it's having is completely unrelated to the decision making process for EOS.

An amusing and perhaps appropriate acronym. Who remembers eos? Targeted HVCs with an all J TATL... lasted 4 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.