Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:36 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by mother-
Originally Posted by Deadtail
The seats are going to fill with or without you.
I largely agree with what you wrote, until we get to this line.

The thing is that the reality of the situation is exactly the opposite- the seats will fill with or without you, they will not fill without all of us. That means they will have to keep reducing gauge, frequency, and routes.

Won't that eventually force even you to seek another option?

(Not to mention the shareholders will revolt if Delta continues shrinking while other airlines are growing...)
I agree.

Delta, IMHO, is making a calculated bet that FTers and MRs have negligible contribution to top line and bottom line.

I have said before, DL can probably fill my seat on a plane easily. But what I can't say is that they can fill the seats enough to make flights turn a profit if they alienate the savvy traveller, and that in turn will raise the fares on you last minute flights.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by NWA/Deltaflygirl
FWIW - there is no news, or even rumors on the 'home front'.
So you're saying all these emotional outbursts were caused by a baseless rumor?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:39 pm
Suspended

The thing is that the reality of the situation is exactly the opposite- the seats will fill with or without you, they will not fill without all of us. That means they will have to keep reducing gauge, frequency, and routes.

(Not to mention the shareholders will revolt if Delta continues shrinking while other airlines are growing...)
The shareholders will only revolt if profits suffer. For every elite there are thousands of consumers price shopping for airline tickets. These LUT buyers are more valuable than elites because they cost the airline nothing, as well as pay additional fees.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: Delta Ballast Medallion, Card Carrying Honorary KM
So you're saying all these emotional outbursts were caused by a baseless rumor?
Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to say IMHO, 'pretty much'.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to say IMHO, 'pretty much'.
....but there was a job posting....and a thread on airliners.net.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:56 pm

The shareholders will only revolt if profits suffer. For every elite there are thousands of consumers price shopping for airline tickets. These LUT buyers are more valuable than elites because they cost the airline nothing, as well as pay additional fees.
Shopping does not mean purchasing.

To make matters worse, DL is one of the more expensive domestic airlines in the US. Their international fares ex-asia are by no means cheap. I can attest to that as a former shopper. That is why I avoided them in the past until I made elite.

Plus there is a difference between sustained revenue vs one time extra ordinary revenue.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
That is a slightly naive and mistaken view of the dynamics here.

An airline carefully modulates the fare available to capture as much excess rent as possible. This, as others have pointed out, is a market dealing with a perishable product.

If you take a confirmed butt out of the seat on a flight you lower the market clearing price for that flight. Delta will need to charge lower fares to attract an extra person.

At a fundamental level what all the 'LUTs lose Delta money' people are confusing is average total cost vs marginal cost, and what that means. So long as the marginal cost is below the fare the airline makes money off your seat. However the airline doesn't profit until they exceed their average total cost for all the seats on a flight.

A LUT fare may well be below the ATC for a flight but be profitable for Delta. And for every person you take off of the plane the overall revenue of the flight drops- even if you backfill the seat you had to lower the average fare to do it.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:59 pm

How could DL completely overhaul Skymiles without AF/KLM (and other SkyTeam airlines) doing the same? Moreover, why would DL want to significantly devalue Skymiles given that UA and AA arguably already have better redemption programs?

This is like "weapons of mass destruction" in Iraq.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
FWIW - there is no news, or even rumors on the 'home front'.
Your otherwise impeccable credibility here just went down a notch. Usual DL sources haven't been this dead silent in ages; I think we're within days/weeks of this announcement vs months.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
I agree.

Delta, IMHO, is making a calculated bet that FTers and MRs have negligible contribution to top line and bottom line.

I have said before, DL can probably fill my seat on a plane easily. But what I can't say is that they can fill the seats enough to make flights turn a profit if they alienate the savvy traveller, and that in turn will raise the fares on you last minute flights.
I swear I read an article about mileage runners in the last year and someone at Delta said that not only do they like mileage runners, they completely support them. I don't see that changing.

Look at the Pretty Much Anywhere In The US-HND fare after the nuclear meltdown last year. Delta dropped the price down to $585 to fill seats because nobody wanted to fly to Tokyo but Delta had a commitment to fly those two routes (LAX&DTW-HND). That fare ran for about a day and a half before RM decided they had filled the planes to enough capacity to offset those fliers who wouldn't fly to Japan because of the reactor problem.

A buddy and I jumped on that fare and went on a mini vacation to Tokyo. The flights there and back was full and when other pax found out what we paid, they were beside themselves. I guess we FTMR folks burnt up all the sLUT fares and everyone else who booked after the sale paid regular or higher prices. I can't see DL wanting to discourage this sort of thing in the future because it helps their bottom line.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:09 pm

That is a slightly naive and mistaken view of the dynamics here.

An airline carefully modulates the fare available to capture as much excess rent as possible. This, as others have pointed out, is a market dealing with a perishable product.

If you take a confirmed butt out of the seat on a flight you lower the market clearing price for that flight. Delta will need to charge lower fares to attract an extra person.

At a fundamental level what all the 'LUTs lose Delta money' people are confusing is average total cost vs marginal cost, and what that means. So long as the marginal cost is below the fare the airline makes money off your seat. However the airline doesn't profit until they exceed their average total cost for all the seats on a flight.

A LUT fare may well be below the ATC for a flight but be profitable for Delta. And for every person you take off of the plane the overall revenue of the flight drops- even if you backfill the seat you had to lower the average fare to do it.
Touché

Said what I thought and wrote it in jargon.

What many uhvc fail to realize is an airline requires economy of scale to run successfully.

They think they should be riding a "limo" but in fact they are riding a "bus".

If you think you are all that get a private jet.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Your otherwise impeccable credibility here just went down a notch. Usual DL sources haven't been this dead silent in ages; I think we're within days/weeks of this announcement vs months.
As Richard so eloquently states ("God bless, y'all"), there are 64,000 employees at DL. I'm sure NWA/Deltaflygirl doesn't know everyone in every department.

That said, the silence is deafening, and yet questions are being answered regarding boarding door use. Diversion?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by yohanson
I agree.

I swear I read an article about mileage runners in the last year and someone at Delta said that not only do they like mileage runners, they completely support them. I don't see that changing.

Look at the Pretty Much Anywhere In The US-HND fare after the nuclear meltdown last year. Delta dropped the price down to $585 to fill seats because nobody wanted to fly to Tokyo but Delta had a commitment to fly those two routes (LAX&DTW-HND). That fare ran for about a day and a half before RM decided they had filled the planes to enough capacity to offset those fliers who wouldn't fly to Japan because of the reactor problem.

A buddy and I jumped on that fare and went on a mini vacation to Tokyo. The flights there and back was full and when other pax found out what we paid, they were beside themselves. I guess we FTMR folks burnt up all the sLUT fares and everyone else who booked after the sale paid regular or higher prices. I can't see DL wanting to discourage this sort of thing in the future because it helps their bottom line.
Loving mr is the politically correct thing for dl to say.

But, let me ask you this. If delta introduce this new points system with that fare. Would you have flown? ( I also recall you earn double miles on that flight!)

I won't unless it yields me either the same or high ROI.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Mar 25, 2012 at 11:27 pm
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Loving mr is the politically correct thing for dl to say.

But, let me ask you this. If delta introduce this new points system with that fare. Would you have flown? ( I also recall you earn double miles on that flight!)

I won't unless it yields me either the same or high ROI.
I guess it depends on what the new point system might be and yes, I did earn double RDMs, but not MQMs. I had never been there before so I may have went anyway even if it was greatly watered down. But, I would never do it now after I spent 4 days there. Been there, done that.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: UA Silver
As a purely business flyer who spends north of 100K annually, Delta offers what flyers like me need most, Reliable comfortable travel from point to point, and the ability to get me where I need to be when things go sideways. Second to that is hassle free travel and customer service. Delta does both better than any other domestic airline. I can choose any airline I wish, and do keep status on UA.

I fly paid last minute business 99% international so many of the perks that are causing the handwringing in this thread are meaningless to flyers like me, which are the HVC's Delta is after and the rest of you are going to fall in line behind. If there's any truth to this thread, Delta is going after the high margin traveler and is more than happy to let the LUT fare, mileage runners,and double mqm flyers make a hard choice. The seats are going to fill with or without you. Flyers that are BIS 125k minimum flyers are going to do well under the new supposed program, and if a bunch of you leave, all the better.

There airlines are sick, and have been for years. It looks like Delta is done playing the zero sum game with the other airlines and is going a new route.
Tell me how you are going to do "better" under the new supposed program.

- If you don't care about redeeming miles, then that won't make a difference. Since you almost always purchase J/F, elite status doesn't matter.

- If you care about redeeming miles, the rumor is that under the new program, a BE award ticket will be 300K miles, instead of 120K. Are you still sure you are going to be better off?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.