Skymiles Change Rumor?

Closed Thread

Old Mar 23, 12, 1:08 pm
  #886  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Programs: DL AA UA
Posts: 2,359
Originally Posted by squatch View Post
i have not read all 59 pages on this thread so far, but i can tell you this:

i am based in NYC. because of the gate swap at LGA and some other logistical reasons, i switched ALL of my flying this year to delta. the reason i did this was to centralize my miles in one spot and make those miles count for my family since delta flies pretty much everywhere.

hearing rumor of a spending-based model rather than a miles-based model is probably going to chase me away. i fly two or three times a week, most often to destinations where fares are in the sub-$300 range. this earns me a nice amount of segments and probably an average amount of miles, but my spend is not large. there is no way to change this. what i spend is up for review by my company and clients and dropping excess money on tickets is not acceptable.

it sounds like delta is not interested in promoting loyalty in customers like me because i'm not flying on $3000 business class tickets every time i step on to a plane.

i'll wait and see what happens, but if it's anything like the accumulated rumors posted here, i'll be taking my business elsewhere. it's a shame, though, since delta has successfully acquired most of the gates at LGA and has a significant presence at JFK. flying will be a bit less convenient for me, but if i'm not the kind of customer valued by delta, i'll just go away.
You and I are in similar situations. However, while I didn't see this particular (revenue based) change coming, I did see how DL was treating its highest-level medallions and sought status elsewhere. Like you, I'm not hub locked like so many of our friends in ATL, MSP, DTW, etc. I know they may not like what DL is doing, but most of them won't have a great deal of latitude to switch primary carriers either. However, people in FL, CA, NY, MA and a great number of other popultion rich areas do have a choice of airlines. I would get my status match letter ready to go and when this becomes official, make sure you send it off immediately.
ADLFO is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 1:14 pm
  #887  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: ATL/LAX
Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
Posts: 703
Originally Posted by fti View Post
Actually it doesn't say anything. Delta doesn't engage hardly any of us on FT. When they do, it is a one-sided "conversation."
they have contacted me And it was constructive.
dean1121 is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 1:39 pm
  #888  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 86,704
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney View Post
StayingHomeIsBetter: what if I told you that many DL execs that I meet, once they hear I participate in FT they say first, "but you seem so normal" then after that ice breaker they ask if I know you or know what your 'story' is?

Apparently many, many people at DL read your posts. (You have a memorable handle). But they don't engage you, doesn't that say something? Possibly about the tone of your posts?
It's the material element of posts that concerns DL management. The talk about "tone" is just an excuse.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 1:40 pm
  #889  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: HSV
Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 880
Originally Posted by ADLFO View Post
You and I are in similar situations. However, while I didn't see this particular (revenue based) change coming, I did see how DL was treating its highest-level medallions and sought status elsewhere. Like you, I'm not hub locked like so many of our friends in ATL, MSP, DTW, etc. I know they may not like what DL is doing, but most of them won't have a great deal of latitude to switch primary carriers either. However, people in FL, CA, NY, MA and a great number of other popultion rich areas do have a choice of airlines. I would get my status match letter ready to go and when this becomes official, make sure you send it off immediately.
I know your advice is not meant for everyone, but you brought up something interesting. At the risk of restating what I said yesterday, I think DL knows it's playing to a largely captive audience.

Keeping in mind my home (and neighboring) airports, if I wanted to switch to a different carrier, let's look at what the options are:
* United? They seem to be struggling to get people from point A to B.
* Southwest? No thanks.
* American? It's hubs are poorly placed for about 70% of my travel
* US

By process of elimination, I am stuck flying US.
AUDirt is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 1:42 pm
  #890  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Programs: DL BA Amex
Posts: 906
Originally Posted by dcline414 View Post
Hey! I resemble that comment!

Seriously though, we may be rude, crude, and socially unacceptable... but we aren't evil conniving maniacs!
it only takes one... seriously, how hard would it be to type-up an "internal memo" and post a want-ad "job listing?..." It has to be easier than faking a moon landing!
bajrbajr is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 1:46 pm
  #891  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: check foursquare
Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
Posts: 14,265
Originally Posted by fti View Post
Actually it doesn't say anything. Delta doesn't engage hardly any of us on FT. When they do, it is a one-sided "conversation."
How do you know they don't reach out, possibly one-on-one?
itsaboutthejourney is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 1:56 pm
  #892  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN CP & A-list preferred, Interstate BBQ at MEM B17, Hotwire, Priceline, tent
Posts: 19,312
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy View Post
I will agree with the lack of feedback. They are welcome to converse here whenever they wish. It is obvious that they have chosen opt out of this discussion for whatever reason.
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
An equally valid explanation would be that DL management have made up their minds and aren't looking for input.
I am convinced that this was the reason Southwest did not engage FT in discussion prior to launching Rapid Rewards 2.0. They become such experts in the new program that they actually believe there is nothing new to be learned.
nsx is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 1:57 pm
  #893  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN CP & A-list preferred, Interstate BBQ at MEM B17, Hotwire, Priceline, tent
Posts: 19,312
Originally Posted by DLdweeb View Post
And how will the Amex shills be able to claim "a free roundtrip" when the cost of the ticket is not known?
Like this: southwest.com/freetickets
nsx is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 1:58 pm
  #894  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Detroit, MI USA
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 5,031
;
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney View Post
How do you know they don't reach out, possibly one-on-one?
;-). They do.
bubbashow is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 1:59 pm
  #895  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Programs: DL AA UA
Posts: 2,359
Originally Posted by AUDirt View Post
I know your advice is not meant for everyone, but you brought up something interesting. At the risk of restating what I said yesterday, I think DL knows it's playing to a largely captive audience.

Keeping in mind my home (and neighboring) airports, if I wanted to switch to a different carrier, let's look at what the options are:
* United? They seem to be struggling to get people from point A to B.
* Southwest? No thanks.
* American? It's hubs are poorly placed for about 70% of my travel
* US

By process of elimination, I am stuck flying US.
I can see one realistic possibility of a good outcome for you in the realatively near term. US/AA merge and keep the AA FFP. Maybe not probable, but definately possible, and the odds seem to be increasing daily.
ADLFO is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 2:01 pm
  #896  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN CP & A-list preferred, Interstate BBQ at MEM B17, Hotwire, Priceline, tent
Posts: 19,312
Originally Posted by dcline414 View Post
This thread got me interested, so I went digging through Delta's recent SEC filings... I'd say the writing has been pretty much on the wall the whole time:
  • Delta Investor Relations Day 2011 Presentation:
    • Slide 32 (clarity of customer value, differentiated services):
    • Slide 44 (Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first I've seen of "VIP Select"):
  • 8-K Filed 9/13/11:
    • Slide 8 (Upcoming: Revamped eCommerce platforms enable "revenue innovation", Enhance SkyMiles to reward the "best" customers):

The "enhance program to reward best customers" objective exactly matches Southwest's hints about Rapid Rewards. Those hints began between 1 and 2 years before the new program was launched. Other IT projects apparently had higher priority, so RR 2.0 was delayed by close to a year.

The sequence of events here is so similar to Southwest's that I wonder whether Delta hired a key participant (or consultant) from Southwest's project.
nsx is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 2:08 pm
  #897  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: many
Posts: 1,392
nice find.
and ouch.
pcharles is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 2:45 pm
  #898  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Posts: 2,530
Originally Posted by bajrbajr View Post
it only takes one... seriously, how hard would it be to type-up an "internal memo" and post a want-ad "job listing?..." It has to be easier than faking a moon landing!
...or denying that there's any truth to the rumor on FT, apparently!
dcline414 is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 2:45 pm
  #899  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Treasure Coast of FL (MCO/MLB/PBI)
Programs: AS MVPG 75K, United Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 841
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
The "enhance program to reward best customers" objective exactly matches Southwest's hints about Rapid Rewards. Those hints began between 1 and 2 years before the new program was launched. Other IT projects apparently had higher priority, so RR 2.0 was delayed by close to a year.

The sequence of events here is so similar to Southwest's that I wonder whether Delta hired a key participant (or consultant) from Southwest's project.
Interesting...and I was flamed earlier on this thread for suggesting that Delta would market their Amex like WN does their Visa.

Last edited by Deemus7; Mar 23, 12 at 3:01 pm
Deemus7 is offline  
Old Mar 23, 12, 2:59 pm
  #900  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: check foursquare
Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
Posts: 14,265
Originally Posted by nsx View Post

The sequence of events here is so similar to Southwest's that I wonder whether Delta hired a key participant (or consultant) from Southwest's project.
Remember that job posting thread a while back? The guy they hired is a pretty smart guy.
itsaboutthejourney is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread