Skymiles Change Rumor?

Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by dcline414
I think most companies can take a joke and can laugh at a parody of themselves. I know when NBC was owned by GE that at least one other GE business unit hired the cast from 'The Office' and paid them do make a parody video of their business for a national meeting...

I thought this thread could use a bit of levity, put perhaps I was wrong?
Heck look at the BBC show about the LCC that people on this board link from time to time. They are merciless, and everyone knows they are making fun of the Euro LCCs.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Originally Posted by bubbashow

An equally valid explanation would be that DL management have made up their minds and aren't looking for input.

Stayinghome and I actually agree.
Now THAT's a christmas miracle
Old Mar 22, 2012, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Go back to that thread (t-72) and read the posts. My point rests on that. If you can't see the problem, reference what you just quoted from me.

If I worked for DL, I would not engage this forum again. It is a no-win because of the immaturity and the lack of professionalism. Jeff Robertson is a Vice President of a multi-billion dollar corporation. Whether you like him, or not, he is very good at what he does and it took a lot of hard work, intelligence, and success to get where he is. If you were in his position, would you respond (or ever want to engage) posts that start with "how come", and then descend from hillbilly vernacular to outright insults?
Are you really counting the T-72 thread as an example of Delta attempting to engage this forum? They got torn to shreds because FTers uncovered the major devaluation by talking to reservations agents and the next four thousand replies saw exactly three posts from official DL representatives (one of which was simply SMI stating Michelle would be providing details). The point of having company reps on this forum is to add value to the discussion, not to use the forums as a PR mouthpiece.

Last edited by javabytes; Mar 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm Reason: Toned down excessive annoyance
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by javabytes
Are you really counting the T-72 thread as an example of Delta attempting to engage this forum? They got torn to shreds because FTers uncovered the major devaluation by talking to reservations agents and the next four thousand replies saw exactly three posts from official DL representatives (one of which was simply SMI stating Michelle would be providing details). The point of having company reps on this forum is to add value to the discussion, not to use the forums as a PR mouthpiece.
^^

The only problem with the IGNORE feature is that you still see posts when the IGNORED party is quoted. Speaking of which:

If I worked for DL, I would not engage this forum again. It is a no-win because of the immaturity and the lack of professionalism. Jeff Robertson is a Vice President of a multi-billion dollar corporation. Whether you like him, or not, he is very good at what he does and it took a lot of hard work, intelligence, and success to get where he is. If you were in his position, would you respond (or ever want to engage) posts that start with "how come", and then descend from hillbilly vernacular to outright insults?
Bubba, Thank goodness Jeff has you to protect his delicate sensibilities. And, I understand your opinion that DL management avoids this forum because of its hostile tone.

However, in the last two or three days, you have called the rest of us... collectively or, in some cases, individually, explicitly or by implication:

• insulting
  • rude
  • mud rollers (a porcine reference?)
  • crazy or crazies
  • nut cases
  • leisure diamond LUTs
  • "pseudo-elites"
  • "elite" hillbillies
  • posers
  • immature
  • unprofessional
  • semi-professional
  • lacking business minds
  • black helicopter conspiricists
  • gamers
  • freeloading gamers
  • brainwashed
  • buffoons
  • embarrassing
  • internet trolls

I am confused. Is there a "constructive" hostile tone that is meant to defend the weak against the "bad" hostile tone?

Are you sure you are the best role model for teaching the rest of us how to maintain civil discourse here?

My opinion of the DL silence is taking the high road. Look back at times when they have been communicating and straight with FT. They were destroyed. I am in radio, I have the option of hanging up on somebody being rude. I think DL's response is the equivalent. Why should they roll around in the mud? If I was Jeff and I was being called a green monster, I would have no desire to ever engage that person. Why would he? Of what benefit would it be for DL if we are starting from that level?
Shouldn't the above compassion also apply to someone you had referred to as a "poser" or "elite hillbilly"?

I understand that you are a radio personality with a disconnect button to use on callers when they are rude. Are your bellicose postings here a sign of frustration fostered by the fact that in this forum you do not have a disconnect button to silence opinions that differ from yours?

Some samplings of your diatribes... and I only had to go back about 3 days:

^...I can't imagine 1/2 of the people on here having any real-world business experience or dealing with customers. The level of crazy is off the charts when dealing with DL. It's a business!
Oh they know about FT for sure. I can see how they would think it was 90% nut cases on here though. Most don't come across as individuals with any business understanding at all.
...and for those of you that have to fly for business...carry on with your normal day. I'm sure DL will be fine without the leisure diamond LUT.
The point needs to be to stop creating "pseudo-elites", give the perks to those paying for them and improve your product.

DL's domestic first is shameful. Yet "elite" hillbillies eat it up.
...I would LOVE to see one of these posers that is threatening to leave actually do so and post their receipts to this site and send it to DL.

I wasn't at the 2010 DO, but I do recall a few posts telling people to iron their clothes and to look semi-professional. Perhaps the true core of FT flyers came through?

It is clear by so many posts that so many on here have no business minds whatsoever.
Look out for the black helicopters circling.

Let's get even more crazies fired up!

I'm not a freeloading gamer....i simply don't care....
...The brainwashed DL "elites" are so transfixed that they got an F on their boarding pass that they can't realize it is simply not first class at all. Come on, DL - tighten it up and do better!
Sounds like a gamer and the primary reason for switching to a revenue-based program. Yes, you technically are following the rules, but the "purpose" of your travel is to gain more miles that you aren't willing to pay for.
I can't speak for others, but you have no credibility with me when it comes to qualifications for filling in for Emily Post.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Mar 22, 2012 at 5:03 pm Reason: Had to add to list: buffoons, embarrassing, internet trolls
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

An equally valid explanation would be that DL management have made up their minds and aren't looking for input.
A service business that takes that attitude with their bread and butter customers is doomed to fail.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL DM

No. I'm counting the t-72 thread as an example of the buffoonery on FT. Representatives of this community and their interaction with DL communication were embarrassing and a clear indication that some of you are in no realistic business environment at all. Communication like that doesn't happen in the modern business world...it happens with internet trolls.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by goodandclassy
Now THAT's a christmas miracle
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
No. I'm counting the t-72 thread as an example of the buffoonery on FT. Representatives of this community and their interaction with DL communication were embarrassing and a clear indication that some of you are in no realistic business environment at all. Communication like that doesn't happen in the modern business world...it happens with internet trolls.
What DL communication? The press release and link to the website?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
You've never been in a construction meeting I take it.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:49 pm

What DL communication? The press release and link to the website?
Yep. Look at the responses. Embarrassing. If you communicated that way in my organization, you probably would not be employed.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I posted this earlier, and then deleted it. But I thought it over more and I still think it's valid. Company reps should exist on this forum to add substance to the discussion, not use this forum as a PR mouthpiece. Companies that choose to do the latter should have their accounts revoked under the FlyerTalk forum guidelines that prohibit "Posts containing promotional messages for commercial products or services". This would probably be better for all involved, because then nobody would have any expectation or hope of those company representatives actually engaging forum members in a discussion, and wouldn't be in the streets with pitchforks and torches when it doesn't happen. So either have a discussion or don't (100% the company's choice), and if you don't, then also don't come here to drop press releases, because we'll just resent it. (If you're bored, and want an education on how companies survive in social media, read up on a concept called "social authority". Simply having social media accounts doesn't earn you social authority. You don't earn it by marketing through your social media presence either, in fact that just works against you.)

It's interesting how other forums on this board actually manage to have discussions with company reps. Which raises the question... is it particular cantankerousness on the part of the DL forum participants or is it the DL reps that are inhibiting a similar dialogue in this forum?

Last edited by javabytes; Mar 22, 2012 at 4:58 pm
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:55 pm

I posted this earlier, and then deleted it. But I thought it over more and I still think it's valid. Company reps should exist on this forum to add substance to the discussion, not use this forum as a PR mouthpiece. Companies that choose to do the latter should have their accounts revoked under the FlyerTalk forum guidelines that prohibit "Posts containing promotional messages for commercial products or services". This would probably be better for all involved, because then nobody would have any expectation or hope of those company representatives actually engaging forum members in a discussion, and wouldn't be in the streets with pitchforks and torches when it doesn't happen. So either have a discussion or don't (100% the company's choice), and if you don't, then also don't come here to drop press releases.

It's interesting how other forums on this board actually manage to have discussions with company reps. Which raises the question... is it particular cantankerousness on the part of the DL forum participants or is it the DL reps that are inhibiting a similar dialogue in this forum?
I was not with this site from the beginning, but I believe it was started for flyers. The company has its official communication channels and I understand them wanting to stay within those channels.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by yohanson
You've never been in a construction meeting I take it.
I have not, and I can only imagine =-). I'm not a bad guy. I know my opinion differs from many on here. To those that have PM'd me, THANK YOU. I think there is a big disconnect between perceived value (DL's FAULT), and actual value (DL's fault). However, it is a marketing scheme. When that can be tweaked to increase a company's profitability, it should be done. DL management works for the stockholders...they don't work for us.

The most-dramatic statement than anyone can make is to take your business elsewhere and let DL know what you have done by sending ticket receipts with your SM information. I have done that with paid F travel. That is the professional way to do it.

Summoning up internet crazy, threatening lawsuits and government action isn't. If you don't like them, hit them where it counts. However, the landscape is quite different and I don't think there are many green pastures in many aluminum tubes nowadays.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was not with this site from the beginning, but I believe it was started for flyers. The company has its official communication channels and I understand them wanting to stay within those channels.
That's entirely up to them. But the point is that to successfully engage in social media, companies need to be participants and earn respect and authority. Not to control the message like many large corporations are oh so used to doing. That's why social media is such a difficult thing for large enterprises to take on successfully compared to smaller companies. You gain influence by having others give you influence because of your demonstrated expertise. The internet won't grant you a loan on influence or respect up front just because of who you are. The internet is proud of being the great equalizer. You build your authority one interaction at a time. And if DL chooses to engage in social media efforts, they need to grasp this concept better.

Last edited by javabytes; Mar 22, 2012 at 5:06 pm
Old Mar 22, 2012, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Come on guys - I am not a moderator - but any chance of some civility on this thread? nice please

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.