Skymiles Change Rumor?

Closed Thread

Old Mar 22, 12, 12:47 pm
  #796  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SJC
Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver
Posts: 1,037
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
My opinion of the DL silence is taking the high road. Look back at times when they have been communicating and straight with FT. They were destroyed.
Your words are very misleading. They sound like they used to be active, honest and straight, but people simply kept bashing them for no reason other than that those people are evil.

Maybe you can give us some examples that DL was straight with FT? Do you mean sth like "this is a difficult decision, but a right one"? Or did they usually communicate with us about the negative changes, such as award chart, voucher etc., so that we would know what was going on? And what about they kept ignoring the problems of the award calendar?
blug is offline  
Old Mar 22, 12, 12:50 pm
  #797  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MCO
Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,082
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney View Post
. I for one, wish we could do more to foster their thinking that we are not mostly sLUTs and gamers.
Ain't gonna happen. There are far too many here who prefer to post petty, sarcastic, irresponsible, rude comments that guarantees DL will see us as nothing more than entitled children.

Not to pick on anyone but how many comments like this would it take for you to feel a little resentful if they were talking about you?

Originally Posted by dcline414 View Post
If you wish to purchase a $7 beverage or $5 snack that cost Delta $0.50, please ring your call button. However we can only accept Delta branded AmEx cards for payment, so you will find an application in the seatback in front of you if you do not yet have one.
Sez_Who is offline  
Old Mar 22, 12, 12:52 pm
  #798  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 77,862
Originally Posted by Dovster View Post
Not only does DL change the price of M fares, it also makes them disappear.

I just took a look at 3 itineraries, all (non-stop) TLV-JFK-TLV:

The first leaves on April 8 (it gets into JFK on Easter Monday, when many businesses are closed) and returns on April 13 (arriving in TLV on Saturday, when everything is closed). Price for M fare: $2618.60.

The second leaves on April 16 (Monday) and returns on April 22 (the following Monday). No M fares are offered. The lowest available price is C at $4809.

However, if you want to leave TLV two days later (April 18 -- Wednesday), meaning that there are only two business days left in the week, and stay until April 25 (arriving on Thursday afternoon, giving you only 1 Israeli business day), M is available at $2543.00.

In short, reasonable M fares can be had, but you have to look for the days when businessmen don't want to travel.
This doesn't really illustrate that M fares vary significantly. On some dates, M inventory is not available, in fact the plane appears pretty sold out, and only C is available. For the other two sets of dates, the difference between the M fares is not very much. I suspect this is due to some year round day of week differentials which appear frequently on relatively unrestricted international fares.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Mar 22, 12, 12:57 pm
  #799  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wherever I happen to be....
Programs: DL EOS...
Posts: 1,111
Originally Posted by Sez_Who View Post
Ain't gonna happen. There are far too many here who prefer to post petty, sarcastic, irresponsible, rude comments that guarantees DL will see us as nothing more than entitled children.

Not to pick on anyone but how many comments like this would it take for you to feel a little resentful if they were talking about you?
Or, analogies turned into the butt of jokes? Ham Sandwich anyone? I laughed too and see the irony of what was being discussed at the meeting but I keep that chuckle to myself, in private.

Here's some advice - when you want the desireable girl/guy to pay attention, you must be somewhat calm and cool. Do not throw a tantrum because they won't talk to you! And don't insult the one you want something from...
Ti22 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 12, 12:58 pm
  #800  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Posts: 2,530
Originally Posted by Sez_Who View Post
Not to pick on anyone but how many comments like this would it take for you to feel a little resentful if they were talking about you?

Originally Posted by dcline414 View Post
If you wish to purchase a $7 beverage or $5 snack that cost Delta $0.50, please ring your call button. However we can only accept Delta branded AmEx cards for payment, so you will find an application in the seatback in front of you if you do not yet have one.
I think most companies can take a joke and can laugh at a parody of themselves. I know when NBC was owned by GE that at least one other GE business unit hired the cast from 'The Office' and paid them do make a parody video of their business for a national meeting...

I thought this thread could use a bit of levity, put perhaps I was wrong?
dcline414 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 12, 12:59 pm
  #801  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SJC
Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver
Posts: 1,037
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post


Thank God someone else is making sense.

I can't imagine 1/2 of the people on here having any real-world business experience or dealing with customers. The level of crazy is off the charts when dealing with DL. It's a business!
If a company representative comes here and throws nonsense such as "We decided to do T-72 because many people booked award and never used it", which obviously makes no sense and sounds very much like a poor excuse for them to seize our miles, can we question them? Please tell us we can.

As far as I remembered, there were very few, if any, personal attacks towards DL representatives. Most people were discussing the topics being discussed.
blug is offline  
Old Mar 22, 12, 1:06 pm
  #802  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SJC
Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver
Posts: 1,037
Originally Posted by fti View Post
Yep. Delta is a business alright. A business that often promulgates lies and half-truths (see above). No wonder people on here are so antsy. Delta's past actions (over and over again) made them so.
Exactly. Why are there much fewer "nasty" people on the AA, UA, and the former NW forums? Is it because for some strange reason, DL flyers are more evil?
blug is offline  
Old Mar 22, 12, 1:08 pm
  #803  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Detroit, MI USA
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 5,031
Originally Posted by blug View Post
If a company representative comes here and throws nonsense such as "We decided to do T-72 because many people booked award and never used it", which obviously makes no sense and sounds very much like a poor excuse for them to seize our miles, can we question them? Please tell us we can.

As far as I remembered, there were very few, if any, personal attacks towards DL representatives. Most people were discussing the topics being discussed.
Go back to that thread (t-72) and read the posts. My point rests on that. If you can't see the problem, reference what you just quoted from me.

If I worked for DL, I would not engage this forum again. It is a no-win because of the immaturity and the lack of professionalism. Jeff Robertson is a Vice President of a multi-billion dollar corporation. Whether you like him, or not, he is very good at what he does and it took a lot of hard work, intelligence, and success to get where he is. If you were in his position, would you respond (or ever want to engage) posts that start with "how come", and then descend from hillbilly vernacular to outright insults?
bubbashow is offline  
Old Mar 22, 12, 1:14 pm
  #804  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SJC
Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver
Posts: 1,037
Originally Posted by Sez_Who View Post
Not to pick on anyone but how many comments like this would it take for you to feel a little resentful if they were talking about you?
Originally Posted by dcline414
If you wish to purchase a $7 beverage or $5 snack that cost Delta $0.50, please ring your call button. However we can only accept Delta branded AmEx cards for payment, so you will find an application in the seatback in front of you if you do not yet have one.
Well, as much as I hate some of DL's behaviors and policies, I don't think they are as easily annoyed as you think... If a company as large as DL can't even tolerate such a small joke, they shouldn't be running their business.
blug is offline  
Old Mar 22, 12, 1:30 pm
  #805  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Posts: 12,238
Originally Posted by blug View Post
If a company representative comes here and throws nonsense such as "We decided to do T-72 because many people booked award and never used it", which obviously makes no sense and sounds very much like a poor excuse for them to seize our miles, can we question them? Please tell us we can.

As far as I remembered, there were very few, if any, personal attacks towards DL representatives. Most people were discussing the topics being discussed.
Originally Posted by blug View Post
Exactly. Why are there much fewer "nasty" people on the AA, UA, and the former NW forums? Is it because for some strange reason, DL flyers are more evil?
There were a lot of expressions of disappointment at the fact the DL chose not to engage in a tangible 2-way dialog, but I agree with you, not much vitriol.

Perhaps some have a too-low pain threshold for what they view as insulting.

And, please note, that we only have the expressed assumptions (albeit, repeated ad naseum) of a handful of non-DL folks here presuming that DL reps are morbidly insulted and, therefore, choose not to engage here... now, would that be transference or projection? Can we have a little help here from a psychologist?

An equally valid explanation would be that DL management have made up their minds and aren't looking for input.
StayingHomeIsBetter is offline  
Old Mar 22, 12, 1:35 pm
  #806  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Detroit, MI USA
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 5,031

An equally valid explanation would be that DL management have made up their minds and aren't looking for input.


Stayinghome and I actually agree. While I could see why DL wouldn't want to engage because of risk of insult, I think your point is just as valid!
bubbashow is offline  
Old Mar 22, 12, 1:56 pm
  #807  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: YQR
Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Posts: 561
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post

An equally valid explanation would be that DL management have made up their minds and aren't looking for input.


Stayinghome and I actually agree. While I could see why DL wouldn't want to engage because of risk of insult, I think your point is just as valid!
This is the most likely scenario - they made a decision, and now it is our baby to deal with. As you can see by my signature, I have dealt with it... If I make FO this year, then I will be lucky.
canadatosiberia is offline  
Old Mar 22, 12, 1:58 pm
  #808  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Anywhere I need to be.
Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 16,043
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney View Post
maybe more like 75% but I get your point.



I'm been saying this ever since us NW folk were dumped into this forum



Then nothing is going to change with that attitude. I for one, wish we could do more to foster their thinking that we are not mostly sLUTs and gamers.
There's no point in purchasing anything except the lowest fare unless you want to use SWU or sit in C.
And, with GDS access, I always try and get as close to MPM as possible and use my ticketed point deductions.
AA_EXP09 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 12, 2:02 pm
  #809  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 480
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
An equally valid explanation would be that DL management have made up their minds and aren't looking for input.
This
ConciergeBrandon is offline  
Old Mar 22, 12, 2:35 pm
  #810  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York, western US
Programs: DM/2MM
Posts: 3,962
To anyone from Delta who is monitoring:

As someone who has been flying Delta for decades, had top or next to top status for most of those years and sitting on millions of miles, I really hope you have thought through the different initiatives that you may be considering (and are being speculated upon here). My fare class/class of service purchases are across the board, so I've no idea how the specifics of any proposal will actually impact me. However, while in recent years there have been improvements in parts of Delta, there have been many negative changes to the Skymiles program. Each one may be annoying and unfortunate, but, and especially given the current (temporary) situations at UA and AA, have not been enough to get me to leave.

But, there is a tipping point, and I don't think I'm alone in that some of the changes speculated here could be the tipping point for many. It wouldn't happen right away, but as UA and AA get their act together and, overall, have a better alternative, you may be severely damaging the loyalty on which I would suspect a solid part of your business model rests.
TrojanTraveler is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread