Skymiles Change Rumor?

Old Mar 22, 2012, 3:31 am

We will have to see

Originally Posted by WAS
High-rollers choose based on schedule. If they pay for C or F, they don't need perks; they need recognition, short lines, VIP phone line and a carpet.

Flyers who pay for full-fare economy and last-minute tickets need the perks to have their loyalty rewarded and their travel experience made more bearable.

But remember that leisure LUT flyers also need an incentive to continue choosing Delta. They could instead always choose according to price or stay home more. While they might not buy expensive tickets, the loyalty program can and does influence their purchasing decision even more than the other two groups.
I think this sums it up well.
I think the kettles will look for the lowest price.
I for the first time in many years took a quick flight this weekend from DAL to HOU on SW, the couple next to me told me they drove from Omaha to Kansas City, from there they flew to Dallas, Houston and finally to south padre island. I think that few of the kettles will pay the 9$ each to board sooner, most will bring their own snacks, and skip the $5 boxes ( I know someone who brought his own vodka on board to save the $5) and will look at the airline based almost %100 on price. Even looking at hub cities, Southwest gives you 2 free bags, even if the tickets are slightly more, most kettles do not collect their miles and think they will never reach 25000 so why bother.
One of the other benefits that I think Delta does not understand the sLUT's provide is the people who tag along with us, I know many times I have had family or friends who will go with me so they have to take Delta, if not for me they would have not gone or shopped more.
As a "fake" platinum I keep the status for the shorter lines and the fact that my phone calls get answered. I never saw any benefit at all to the USA sky lounges, better food at McDonald's. It is nice to be able to shower in Japan after all those hours in the air and use the wifi but I believe there are pay for use showers or I could switch my Delta Reserve for an Amex Plat and get access to some other lounge I believe. The FC upgrades are nice, but i'm not that tall so I will live in coach. If the program changes to the point that it makes it difficult for me to keep at least gold, I can cut back on my travel and bargan hunt for the few trips I will take. For example, I could take my trip to Asia this fall on Cathay Pacific instead of Delta, as of right now Kayak shows a savings of almost 400 and I could shop for the rock bottom price if I didn't care about the miles. Even in hub cities we have options.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 3:31 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by Dovster
Okay, I know I am going to regret giving you this information publicly, as it is apt to get a bunch of people seeking Biz Elite seats to TLV competing for the ones I want, but here goes:

1. As others have said, trips originating in TLV might be less expensive than those originating in JFK.

2. Any time between Dec 27 and Passover/Easter is the least expensive period to fly to or from Israel.

3. For Biz Elite seats (and, no, this does not apply to Y), try to fly into Israel on a Jewish holiday and to arrive in the States on an American holiday. Why? Because Biz Elite is mostly populated with businessmen and Israeli businessmen want to be home the night before a Jewish holiday and arriving in the US on an American holiday means that they waste a day there.

I flew TLV-JFK and arrived early in the morning of Presidents Day. I flew back to TLV and arrived on the afternoon of Purim. There was plenty of open room in BE in both directions (I had no one sitting next to me on either flight) and, as DL is aware of this, it lowers prices for these flights.
That is interesting.

However, I don't think DL lowers the price of M class tickets (I could be wrong), because all instances when I have flown TPAC M class, the price of the ticket does not vary much.

What does vary is Z class availability in my experience. Of course YMMV.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 3:34 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Platinum, SM, OP, HHonors Gold, SPG Ambassador
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Sounds like a gamer and the primary reason for switching to a revenue-based program. Yes, you technically are following the rules, but the "purpose" of your travel is to gain more miles that you aren't willing to pay for.
The "purpose" of my travel is to travel. The way I see it, once I'm passed out at 30,000 feet, I might as well nap for an extra 45 minutes 10 times a year and save myself the need for a mileage run. Not to mention, this particular routing costs more.

On that note, does anyone know why an RT connecting in MEM costs about $10 less than other cities?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 3:36 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Platinum, SM, OP, HHonors Gold, SPG Ambassador
Using your argument - I have been investing in the stock market for years and years. My hope is that when I walk away from my career, I will have millions of dollars saved and accrued so that my wife and I don't have to every want for money again. If the stock market crashes, then what? Maybe you should start spending your mileage. History shows that they are not gaining in value as time goes along. Not exactly a prudent investment.
Except there isn't a little green man named JeffBob sitting on top of the stock market that's actually in control of these things.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:33 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by saleenxp8

On that note, does anyone know why an RT connecting in MEM costs about $10 less than other cities?
I believe that is due to Fedex picking up most of the fees. MEM is the busiest cargo airport in North America.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 5:16 am

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
The "purpose" of my travel is to travel. The way I see it, once I'm passed out at 30,000 feet, I might as well nap for an extra 45 minutes 10 times a year and save myself the need for a mileage run. Not to mention, this particular routing costs more.

No PFCs at MEM
Old Mar 22, 2012, 5:30 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
:-:WELCOME TO FT!:-:

Nice first post.

I am not sure what the intentions of the rest of you are, but my aim is to:
1) liquidate my miles (goal is at least 1 million by year end)
2) milk the CB(s) I have earned
3) get status on another airline

Then wait and see
Being ATL-based, status on another airline is difficult but not impossible, assuming you value your life outside of flying and don't want to spend your transit time sitting in connecting airports. However, one of my employees, who also frequently posts to FT asked yesterday in our monthly meeting if, given this rampant speculation, it would be alright with us is he attempted a status match to UA or AA and began flying them exclusively from ATL. Historically, our firm has been more-or-less DL loyal but this could change especially if my employee finds that the it is not significantly more difficult and his overall cost of travel reduces by buying tix on a competing airline. You also have to recognize that much of our week is spent city-hopping so it is conceivable that this idea might work. A somewhat typical week in the past year for me (us) has been ATL-ORD-MSP-SFO-LAX-ATL so UA or AA may be reasonable alternatives.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 5:51 am

Programs: Delta DM, 1MM USAir SP Marriott Plat National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
F(L)AP?
as a sLUT E who gets the upgrade (until they take all of the medallion benis away from E) the F(L)APs think I am F-UG lE
Old Mar 22, 2012, 5:51 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Why does "purpose" of travel matter?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: DL DM
Except there isn't a little green man named JeffBob sitting on top of the stock market that's actually in control of these things.
And you all wonder WHY they won't engage us on here. Sorry Saleen......SHOCKINGLY unprofessional. I wouldn't engage this board either if I were DL.

Do you actually communicate that way in your corporate communications? If so, I'd love to know in what business you work.

Now go back to being shocked that DL is watching, but not talking.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:13 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
And you all wonder WHY they won't engage us on here. Sorry Saleen......SHOCKINGLY unprofessional. I wouldn't engage this board either if I were DL.

Do you actually communicate that way in your corporate communications? If so, I'd love to know in what business you work.

Now go back to being shocked that DL is watching, but not talking.
Sure it isn't professional, but the Wall Street types have been saying this too. "Stop saying mean things about us!" If they're so delicate, they don't belong in their positions of power...
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:19 am

I can surely see why they won't engage this board, and frankly, hope they don't. Respect is a two-way street.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:37 am

Programs: Formally TPAbound/Delta Diamond 1MM/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Silver/Priority Club Gold
I just tweeted @DeltaAssist & put the FT link

I'll be curious if I get a reply.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by babe11
I'll be curious if I get a reply.
Oh they know about FT for sure. I can see how they would think it was 90% nut cases on here though. Most don't come across as individuals with any business understanding at all.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: Formally TPAbound/Delta Diamond 1MM/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Silver/Priority Club Gold
I also asked for an explanation of the new SkyMiles changes. No reply yet.

So glad I just burned 200k on two BE RT's to Europe!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.