FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Skymiles Change Rumor? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1326526-skymiles-change-rumor.html)

goodandclassy Mar 19, 2012 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 18231149)

If that implementation list is true, pretty much nothing sounded good in there... Neutral at best, ominous at worst.

I think Delta may become a 'banana republic' - not the brand - of the airlines. The only good change would be for a small portion of really high spenders - who will live the good life and be treated like royalty. The majority of the folks will live in the slums (granted, with wifi). No real middle class

shopping for price will become the norm for me. i would get the co-branded card for boarding and a bag - and if i just to get from point a to point b in misery, i will get the cheapest coach. if i want to get someplace in 'luxury' and can afford it, i will just book it. At tha tpoint, and in confirmed j, it doesn't really matter if you are carry elite status

Vuelos Mar 19, 2012 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by HongKonger (Post 18230987)
I feel sorry for DMs who have 3-4 years' worth of rollover MQMs built up, will they suddenly lose the future status they thought was assured?

Interesting point.

HongKonger Mar 19, 2012 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by jsmith50 (Post 18231046)
If my friend at DL is right, I'm hoping that this is an "in addition" way that one could qualify for medallion status rather than an outright replacement of the current SM program. At least that would be more acceptable to me as one of those DMs that has years of rollover MQMs banked to protect status for the forseeable future.

Kind of a third way to reach status, in addition to miles and segments? That wouldn't be bad.

DavidAL Mar 19, 2012 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kwaj boy (Post 18231172)
This is a very common misinterpretation in Huntsville. HSV has very high AVERAGE airfares, simply because there are so many business travelers here that are willing to buy last minute tickets. This does NOT mean that ALL airfares are high out of HSV and that cheap airfares don't exist. My wife, a travel agent, deals with this misconception every day. People read this and assume that they can't buy a cheap ticket from HSV which is completely false.

I think it's only happened twice in the last year that I was able to fly out of HSV at a better price than BNA or BHM (and that's taking into account gas and parking at BNA/BHM). I pay for all my own tickets, so I can't get my "company" to pay the airfare, because that's just more $$ out of my pocket. When there's 2 or more of us flying together, the cost savings is that much more significant out of BNA.

MCO and CLT are the only 2 destinations out of HSV that I could fly for a better price than BHM/BNA.

StayingHomeIsBetter Mar 19, 2012 1:43 pm

My offer of $200 towards the Save Sky Miles II campaign still stands.

If the rumors get any more grim, the offer might increase.

blug Mar 19, 2012 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by AUDirt (Post 18231110)
DL doesn't seem to care about FT opinions very much, IMO.

You know that adage about the two guys in the woods who meet a bear? When they meet the bear, one guy takes off running. The other guy yells at him, telling him it's pointless -- they'll never outrun the bear.

"I don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than you!" the first guy tells him.

I think that's how DL views their FF program. It doesn't have to be the best. Just better than the worst.

So who is the worst?:D

AA_EXP09 Mar 19, 2012 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by canadatosiberia (Post 18230646)
Wow - well, I guess I will kill the miles I have accumulated by the fall, and be Super Elite on Aeroplan by next year! Actually, I will hold my opinion, as most of my DL fares are paid Business on TATL, so maybe I would win on this format...

AC already introduced many enhancements last year, why do you think that they are going to be so much better now?

BobH Mar 19, 2012 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 18231253)

My reaction to this thread is:

(1) I hope they decide what they want to do before my SC membership expires and

(2) if they actually do this I'll finally get to see what the north terminal at DTW looks like because Delta no longer appreciates (or deserves) my business.

Bob H.

javabytes Mar 19, 2012 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 18231253)

I have also reserved certain domain names which I would be happy to contribute to the cause as well, should the original SSM not be repurposed.

davisew Mar 19, 2012 1:58 pm

Any "great team players" out there?

4332-Senior Business Analyst-ATL

Category : Information Technology

Location/City : GA - Atlanta

Qualifications:
This req is for a Senior Business analysts for the Fare Based Award Ticket Redemption (FBATR) project, which is part of the Evolution of SkyMiles (EOS) Program being driven out of Loyalty. This project changes how the customer redeems miles and improves the customer shopping experience. This project takes a phased iterative approach to achieving the project’s objectives and is divided into multiple releases. The initial implementation is currently scheduled for September of 2012.

http://www.maxhire.net/cp/searchresu...ookieSupport=1

blug Mar 19, 2012 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by BobH (Post 18231324)
(2) if they actually do this I'll finally get to see what the north terminal at DTW looks like because Delta no longer appreciates (or deserves) my business.

+1

I heard the new north terminal looks pretty nice. Never got a chance to experience it so far :cool:

canadatosiberia Mar 19, 2012 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 (Post 18231312)
AC already introduced many enhancements last year, why do you think that they are going to be so much better now?

Less about a preference for AE as a FFP, and more about availability of flights. No One World option from YQR, so I am somewhat stuck. And SE at AC/AE is within reach if I ditch my DL miles (27,000 on DL/ST last year, 68,000 on AE/*A, more total miles this year). I only really need the benefits when I fly with my family, and I get decent awards from AE as opposed to what most seem to feel that they get...

javabytes Mar 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by jsmith50 (Post 18231046)
If my friend at DL is right, I'm hoping that this is an "in addition" way that one could qualify for medallion status rather than an outright replacement of the current SM program. At least that would be more acceptable to me as one of those DMs that has years of rollover MQMs banked to protect status for the forseeable future.

I wouldn't be surprised if that were true with respect to status, at least for the time being, but this doesn't affect mileage redemptions which are really the big shocker (okay, not really shocking, but still the major impact). Revenue-based earning, and more importantly, revenue-based redemption is where the major devaluations are to be had. Especially for Int'l J redemptions, depending on how they handle it. And that's one issue WN didn't have to tackle.

Winkdaddy Mar 19, 2012 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by davisew (Post 18231394)

This is starting to look a lot less like rumor and speculation :(

javabytes Mar 19, 2012 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by davisew (Post 18231394)

Not sure I could deal with the "iterative" approach that DL uses. Sure, many companies use iterative methodologies, but at DL it seems to translate to "don't think things through, don't worry about the details now, and don't ever actually finish anything." Kind of like the iterative approach to DL.com and the award calendar we've seen over the last few years.