Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:34 am

Notes from a parallel universe

There is much the same discussion going on right now on the Lufthansa Miles and More Forum regarding changes on tap by LH management.

Bait:
2nd Tier status has a REDUCED Mileage requirement. Earning Top Tier miles within two calendar years will in future be rewarded with two eVouchers for upgrades to the next highest service class.

Switch:
Only First and Business class tickets will be counted towards Top tier status
No mileage or voucher upgrades from discounted business fares. Lower credited mileage for discounted business fares.

How would this forum react if only Business fares counted towards Diamond and Platinum qualification with lower earnings even when flying in business?
Outrage?

Lufthansa is putting it into action. Status based on spending. They are not raising redemption levels as we speculate Delta will, however the earning possibilities are being reduced.

Delta may (will) follow, so I think this is the direction for all airlines. Which companies will stay with the classic format? I can see the advertisments “we reward your LOYALTY!”

BURN YOUR MILES!

Is Goldman Sachs an airline consultant?

Last edited by elsie; Mar 21, 2012 at 9:41 am
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DM
I flew yesterday from JFK-ATL and happened to be sitting next to someone who some of us may be familiar with. I told him about the thread and mentioned how it's implications are growing by the hour.

This board is not monitored regularly.
There are not wholesale changes coming to the program.
Delta is working hard to gain corporate travel share.
I couldn't get an answer about bringing back EXP or a similar program. Which led me to believe if anything the smoke is related to an additional HVC program or corporate travel program on top of sky miles.

Everyone take a breath.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by Deadtail
I flew yesterday from JFK-ATL and happened to be sitting next to someone who some of us may be familiar with.
And how was Mr. Sparkletooth?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:56 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I flew yesterday from JFK-ATL and happened to be sitting next to someone who some of us may be familiar with.
I'm assuming you were in FC so it couldn't have been Richard Anderson as we all know he flies in Y domestic.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Someone else that it could have been always emphasizes that he travels in coach too, usually a middle seat. He claims he's not high enough in the food chain to be allowed to reserve FC for business travel.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
I flew yesterday from JFK-ATL and happened to be sitting next to someone who some of us may be familiar with. I told him about the thread and mentioned how it's implications are growing by the hour.
It must have been Kevin Pinto who as we all know is the only trustworthy and reliable source of information at the Virginia Ave offices. :-)
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I'm not sure if I'm a fake Diamond or not. I just ran the numbers YTD for my Delta travel and the results are:

Business travel- $3933.03, 14,816 MQMs, 20 MQS, $0.27/MQM
Leisure travel- $1070.89, 25,044 MQMs, 8 MQS, $0.04/MQM

I guess if you were to extrapolate, My spending should be about $20K at the end of the year at the current rate.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by rylan
I think that is where a major change to the system is fatally flawed... Delta needs both types of flyers... the high ticket spend and also the lower ticket but always picks DL even when they cost more. That reliably fills seats and DL gets some extra margin from loyal pax deciding to stick with them even when it costs more. Destroy the program (which is already in progress with FCM and upgrades percentages going down the crapper) then they loose the 'guaranteed' repeat flyer and instead are fighting for the pax who pick solely on price. Sure the high fare buyer may still be there, but you need the rest to fill in and absorb the fixed cost overhead.
Or in other words, it seems that DL is getting rid of the ham in the ham sandwich - the middle layer, and will be only left with a thin top (a few real HVCs) and then the very bottom (low(est) value price sensitive Joe Blow flyers with zero loyalty and who make their decision based on a $0.50 price difference).

Seems that DL doesn't realize that "you can't make a ham sandwich without the ham" (the ham being the majority of the current 'gamer' Medallions), nor that needing to fill the remainder of the seats with Joe Blow flyers will inevitably end up devaluating the program and the experience for HVCs, who are not bound to feel good seeing that the pax next to them paid many fold less than they did, as DL had to drop the price (more than before, as it has few loyal pax left) to fill the empty seats closer in.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

I couldn't get an answer about bringing back EXP or a similar program. Which led me to believe if anything the smoke is related to an additional HVC program or corporate travel program on top of sky miles.

Everyone take a breath.
Is that truly what you intended to type?

I guess that should not be a surprise, considering the typical lack of green in the Currently Active Users box.

Although (don tinfoil hat) they could be coming in under aliases.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

Everyone take a breath.
I sure hope you're right...
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion

Everyone take a breath.
I see no reference to DL's job postings for revenue-based award redemption.
Without an explanation for that, this so-called denial from "someone" is completely meaningless.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Is that truly what you intended to type?

I guess that should not be a surprise, considering the typical lack of green in the Currently Active Users box.

Although (don tinfoil hat) they could be coming in under aliases.
Actually, that statement would be directly contrary to what was said at the DO in ATL. At that time, it was stated that DL in fact scrapes this site on a daily basis and that the threads are reviewed for whatever purpose....
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Actually, that statement would be directly contrary to what was said at the DO in ATL. At that time, it was stated that DL in fact scrapes this site on a daily basis and that the threads are reviewed for whatever purpose....
Exactly. Look at who has viewed my profile.
And, I haven't stepped foot on DL metal in 8 months.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I took it that no one is actively monitoring the site in order to provide us or management feedback. It was pretty clear by our conversation that many people look at the site.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Someone else that it could have been always emphasizes that he travels in coach too, usually a middle seat. He claims he's not high enough in the food chain to be allowed to reserve FC for business travel.
I was in a middle seat in coach. I SDC'd to an already full flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.