Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by DLroads
If DL wants to change the rules (and they do, it's clear), it's their choice as long as they inform the clients WELL IN ADVANCE, explain the rules and allow them to make a customer-wise decision (is this a good or bad fit?) You can't change the rules in September, June or December, and you cannot announce changes for March in Mid-January or Feb.

To my specific opinions-- If DL wants to add additional ways to get into each status that are also revenue based, it may (I am not sure) be a good option to balance all worlds. Again, it depends on the formula and the specific approach. If DL indeed ranks DM services by internal score, it is fair and expected that we would know our score, the benefits in each 'rank' and the way it is calculated, so we can make our own decisions regarding the business relations (since we are not ham sandwiches)

Long day ahead, better go back to the computers.
DL doesn't follow those guidelines. They pull switches as and when they want like the 72 hour rule.

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
I think DL pretty much dismissed FT shortly after the 2010 DO.
Pray tell what happened at that DO?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
T fares TPAC are only useful if you want to sit in coach.

S fares exist only in some markets. From MSP, even I fares are getting rare, including around low business travel periods and on empty planes. When I have seen them recently, they have been about $2000 more RT than an M fare.
Yup largely because of the premium BE seat on that route.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SamuelS
As an aside, I took a look today at the number of folks currently on the upgrade list on UA for several routes and flights in the next few days.

It makes for sombre viewing. ORD-SFO hub to hub on a 319 with 8F seats, all full, and 54 on the upgrade list? ORD-IAH with 67 on the upgrade list? BOS-Anywhere - 40+ on list on almost every flight.

Conceivably, that means that the number of "Elites" who will miss their upgrade can't even be accommodated in the E+ section, so E- it is for some "Elites".

Even non hub-to-hub routes, upgrade lists run from the 20s to the 40s. The rare exceptions to the rule - Saturday leisure flights at off times into places like LAS or MCO. Other than that, it'd really look a bit grim to be a Silver or Gold (possibly even Plat) equivalent over at UA.

Time will tell what DL plans to do. Largely it will depend on the revenue based accrual and redemption rates, but I doubt DL would invest a ton of money reinventing the wheel unless there were clear benefits to them in reducing SM liabilities and overhauling (read: increasing) the amount of miles being required for redemptions.

As a humble GM, I still enjoy a fairly decent upgrade rate, and usually get a decent exit row or bulkhead seat on those flights I don't. Javabytes did an eloquent job articulating earlier what, I think, is the heart of a frequent flyer program for many of us. Most of us are fairly (very?) loyal to DL, and like Javabytes, I pay a higher fare, or put up with less than stellar connections, to maintain my benefits with DL which I feel is a worthwhile trade off.

True HVCs should indeed be recognised at DL, and that number of folks should be within the low single digit percentage of DL's customer base. That's not to say that for the remaining 15 or so% (I admit I'm guestimating here) of folks that have some form of Medallion status, whom aren't in that top couple of percentage points for being a true HVC, that there isn't merit to DL retaining some benefits.

Many post about "why should DL give you the perks". Well, why not? For me, I rarely check a bag (and I'd guess this is true of many/most Elites for majority of their flying, so it's not like there is a big loss in potential revenue here), I largely value getting an agent quickly when I need help, SkyPriority, and the occasional upgrade. An upgrade that - ultimately - is a seat that would otherwise go empty because no one wants to buy it, and anyone whom is "bigger/better/flys more/pays more" than me gets it ahead of me anyway. So what is the true cost of all these perks to DL? Really not that much. I'm sure it's more than offset by the incremental dollars DL gets from the DL credit card I have!

I guess that's why I remain unsure as to the logic of completely gutting both the SM and the Medallion program.

If DL wants to thin the ranks, as others have posted, it starts by stopping giving away MQM's left and right. I earn every MQM BIS, and while I recognise that I am not an HVC in the true sense of the word (i.e. top few percentage points of DL's customer base), I do think I have some "value" to DL on the range of T through F fares that I buy that have me flying around 50,000 miles a year BIS. Certainly for the relatively low cost to provide the benefits to keep me loyal, it just seems a bit unfathomable.

/end ramble.
OTOH on AA SFO ORD there were 18 pax on the WL.
I was able to clear but I think that the PLT and GLD pax using stickers didn't.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Pray tell what happened at that DO?
Oh, nothing bad. As a matter of fact I came away very impressed and was a rather large DL fan. It was there that we were told 2011 was to be the "Year of the Customer".

The problem is, since then bad developments have outpaced good developments by a considerable margin, IMHO. It has been discussed here at length, so no need to beat it to death. But the DO was the high point. After that, the race to the bottom began.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Oh, nothing bad. As a matter of fact I came away very impressed and was a rather large DL fan. It was there that we were told 2011 was to be the "Year of the Customer".

The problem is, since then bad developments have outpaced good developments by a considerable margin, IMHO. It has been discussed here at length, so no need to beat it to death. But the DO was the high point. After that, the race to the bottom began.
Ic.

Well in this case, I would say, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

I think everyone will be rushing for insurance sooner or later or just quit.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
The AC in DFW was ridiculously crowded and I had access due to using my eVIP (from EZE) on a Q fare.
So making the SC pay only won't fix much, as the AC is pay only.
Well, you can get in with Amex Plat when flying AA. And how about Priority Pass (don't know, just asking)?

And there are day/visit passes out there -- or at least there used to be. Tried to trade for one when She Who Must Be Obeyed was flying TATL on my residual AA miles.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Fanjet
OK, just to put this rumor into perspective, there is also a rumor on A-net about DL leaving SkyTeam. I'm just saying. As for this particular rumor, maybe DL is going to do a GS type of thing like UA which is based on spend. CO had it (and it was set around $32K IIRC). It gave you privileges beyond the regular Platinum ones. Or DL could be giving out a greater MQM/RDM bonus for full fare Y, J, and F like the new UA is doing. But why do they need to make it harder to become Medallion? After all, they've kind of scaled back the benefits as it is.
Not all rumors are created equal. The one you are introducing here has no basis in reality, unlike this one about DL. Just to put the above post in perspective.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:31 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
This is nothing to do with airline management being concerned about dilution.

This is revenue enhancement, period, with management being willing to sacrifice the remaining goodwill from 90% of their regular customers.
Dead on my friend. This has been the mantra since the programs were merged.

And for all the talk about going somewhere else, where to? The merger mania has taken away plenty of competition and there's more to come likely. The folks in the ATL GO know this damn well.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by SamuelS
As an aside, I took a look today at the number of folks currently on the upgrade list on UA for several routes and flights in the next few days.

It makes for sombre viewing. ORD-SFO hub to hub on a 319 with 8F seats, all full, and 54 on the upgrade list? ORD-IAH with 67 on the upgrade list? BOS-Anywhere - 40+ on list on almost every flight.

Conceivably, that means that the number of "Elites" who will miss their upgrade can't even be accommodated in the E+ section, so E- it is for some "Elites".

Even non hub-to-hub routes, upgrade lists run from the 20s to the 40s. The rare exceptions to the rule - Saturday leisure flights at off times into places like LAS or MCO. Other than that, it'd really look a bit grim to be a Silver or Gold (possibly even Plat) equivalent over at UA.

Time will tell what DL plans to do. Largely it will depend on the revenue based accrual and redemption rates, but I doubt DL would invest a ton of money reinventing the wheel unless there were clear benefits to them in reducing SM liabilities and overhauling (read: increasing) the amount of miles being required for redemptions.

As a humble GM, I still enjoy a fairly decent upgrade rate, and usually get a decent exit row or bulkhead seat on those flights I don't. Javabytes did an eloquent job articulating earlier what, I think, is the heart of a frequent flyer program for many of us. Most of us are fairly (very?) loyal to DL, and like Javabytes, I pay a higher fare, or put up with less than stellar connections, to maintain my benefits with DL which I feel is a worthwhile trade off.

True HVCs should indeed be recognised at DL, and that number of folks should be within the low single digit percentage of DL's customer base. That's not to say that for the remaining 15 or so% (I admit I'm guestimating here) of folks that have some form of Medallion status, whom aren't in that top couple of percentage points for being a true HVC, that there isn't merit to DL retaining some benefits.

Many post about "why should DL give you the perks". Well, why not? For me, I rarely check a bag (and I'd guess this is true of many/most Elites for majority of their flying, so it's not like there is a big loss in potential revenue here), I largely value getting an agent quickly when I need help, SkyPriority, and the occasional upgrade. An upgrade that - ultimately - is a seat that would otherwise go empty because no one wants to buy it, and anyone whom is "bigger/better/flys more/pays more" than me gets it ahead of me anyway. So what is the true cost of all these perks to DL? Really not that much. I'm sure it's more than offset by the incremental dollars DL gets from the DL credit card I have!

I guess that's why I remain unsure as to the logic of completely gutting both the SM and the Medallion program.

If DL wants to thin the ranks, as others have posted, it starts by stopping giving away MQM's left and right. I earn every MQM BIS, and while I recognise that I am not an HVC in the true sense of the word (i.e. top few percentage points of DL's customer base), I do think I have some "value" to DL on the range of T through F fares that I buy that have me flying around 50,000 miles a year BIS. Certainly for the relatively low cost to provide the benefits to keep me loyal, it just seems a bit unfathomable.

/end ramble.
Couldn't agree more. For the true HVCs, give them the white envelope treatment. Move them to the very top of the upgrade list. Give them their own special super priority security line. Drive the Porsche straight into the A terminal and right up to the Chick-Fil-A. They deserve it more than someone who found a mistake fare and ran to SYD 5 times to hit DM.

Then stop all the ridiculous double and triple MQM promos, the MQM giveaways for transferring MR, and the "earn Platinum with six segments" nonsense.

Heck, even put better controls on your fares. Certainly there's technology out there capable of telling you that a $10 BOS-SAN fare is a mistake before you publish it.

Perhaps then, true HVCs will get their due, unprofitable faux Medallions will dry up, and there will still be something left for the guys in the middle to convince them to stick with DL.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by DiverDave
With all due respect, LedgeT is a very credible contributor and I have no doubt that these changes are being worked on. The only question is whether they will be shelved as was done with the leaked changes to the UA program last year, which were somewhat similar in being revenue based.

David
This project won't be shelved. Not when you've built-up basically an entire department devoted to changing SM. UA/CO wasn't looking to change the wheel.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by dcline414
Perhaps Delta would just allow you to pay with miles the same way as they do now, with Delta paying the partner for the portion of the ticket you bought with miles.
Originally Posted by akonradi
I think that the question was related to members of partner FFPs redeeming for DL awards.
Yup, that was the question.

Originally Posted by dcline414
Maybe the same, but in reverse? Partner pays delta in cash when FF member redeems partner miles for "pay with miles" award travel...
But the partners aren't going to go to a PWM system (at least not necessarily). If a FlyingBlue or SkyPass member wants to get to DEN, they'll need a DL domestic flight and their program will include it in their however many mile TATL/TPAC award, if DL makes it available. If DL doesn't have award buckets any more, how does that work? Since flights aren't priced by segment for revenue fares, how does DL value that DTW-DEN segment added on to BRU-CDG-DTW on AF?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by N522US
This project won't be shelved. Not when you've built-up basically an entire department devoted to changing SM. UA/CO wasn't looking to change the wheel.
Just to lighten things up a bit, and for the folks who might be leaning to the "It's all over, a done deal. There is nothing we can do..." Just remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vtWB4owdE

But enough levity. Just remember: Illegitimi non carborundum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegitimi_non_carborundum
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Yup largely because of the premium BE seat on that route.
This was true even when it was the 747 and my comments on BE and M pricing do not apply only to the MSP-NRT nonstop route. Note also that the 777 is supposed to go away on MSP-NRT this spring.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Ah may be, yes, looking at it this way: fast track to put out at least some of the EOS FUBAR (FBATR...sorry, I keep mixing up the two) to coincide with the Polaris Chicago release of information (PR blitz trying to downplay the massive program devaluation).
That's exactly what's going on. DL knows this is a massive change, and one that will be wildly unpopular (at least at first) - it's not an "enhancement" their own marketing people can take-on on their own. They need to hire big guns to try and sell customers on it.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I find it ironic that the ads appearing on this thread are all for the DL Gold AmEx card with 30,000 bonus miles, although nothing is said about 25,000 being a free ticket.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I find it ironic that the ads appearing on this thread are all for the DL Gold AmEx card with 30,000 bonus miles, although nothing is said about 25,000 being a free ticket.
Ads? What ads? ....... Plus will set you free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.