Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL-DM / 2MM, Marriott Titanium, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Sorry to over-generalize, but seriously...MANY of you make this claim. Answer the question. If you are, there shouldn't be a problem.
I'm pretty sure I am not a HVC. My spend with DL has been in the $30k range per year. And due to travel to Africa I've made DM the last 2 years. So where does a small business owner who's really paying his own way land in this mess?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
i almost posted a new thread "who will get to 1,000,000 rollover first" I may do it this year and every time I look at the amount of rollover I have accumulated I actually laugh out loud.

Finally some sanity and understanding that devaluation by giving every man and his dog PM/DM status is being noticed big time. As stated, I can't wait for a revenue based program. All you $10,000 DM's can fly coach where if you think about rationally is where you belong.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: Delta FO, United Silver, National Executive, HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by akonradi
Nope. The upgrade window for Y fares opens at the time of booking. Y fares are given priority over other fares for upgrades, regardless of Medallion level.
Interesting. I guess I missed that wrinkle (one of many) in the SM program.

Fortunately, I've yet to stare purchasing full Y in the face. The only time I'm allowed to book B or M (minus an inquisition from accounting) is if/when that's the only booking class available.

Ps- Am I the only person that finds it hard to believe that DL would scrap this engrained, completely complex, hard to follow, hire a bunch of lawyers to help you follow 25% of it, WELL ESTABLISHED BUREAUCRACY... mine field that is the current SM program in favor of a 'now for something completely different' SM program?

Seriously?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by gemdigital
I'm pretty sure I am not a HVC. My spend with DL has been in the $30k range per year. And due to travel to Africa I've made DM the last 2 years. So where does a small business owner who's really paying his own way land in this mess?
^ Same here. May not be paying for BMY/J/F/A fares often, but I travel enough to rack up the MQM's. I'm fine with "adding" a way for people to earn status faster by paying more for tickets. People who always pay for F are not competing for upgrades.

We shall see where this goes.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dean1121
i almost posted a new thread "who will get to 1,000,000 rollover first" I may do it this year and every time I look at the amount of rollover I have accumulated I actually laugh out loud.

Finally some sanity and understanding that devaluation by giving every man and his dog PM/DM status is being noticed big time. As stated, I can't wait for a revenue based program. All you $10,000 DM's can fly coach where if you think about rationally is where you belong.
I don't disagree that there should be a DL equivalent of GS, but I think changing the rest of the tiers as well as award earning/redemption to a strictly revenue-based program is a mistake.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:11 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I'm sure I'm not a HVC with regard to total spend with DL.
By spending over $110,000 per year on 2 AmEx cards, it brings in 50k MQMs which helps make me DM.
With a major change to the program, I'll drop the AmEx spend and move that over to a rebate card.
I'll also go ahead and start traveling with which ever airline gives me the best price and schedule.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by javabytes
I don't disagree that there should be a DL equivalent of GS, but I think changing the rest of the tiers as well as award earning/redemption to a strictly revenue-based program is a mistake.
Perhaps a GS/White envelope real elite level might be a better way to go, state up front what you have to do and let people go for it.

Sounds like they are going scorched earth on the whole program and starting again.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by bartendress
+1

However, one person's 'rumor' could be DL's 'trial balloon'. Leak it, hint about it, have a surrogate talk about it, and then see how it plays in Peoria...

YMMV
This.

Oh, and I love your signature line.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbashow
again, SMI...not all of us see this rumor as "horrible". I, for one, would LOVE to see fare-based MQM.

Right but unless you are prepared to buy out a whole plane, it's not good.
We don't often agree, but on this subject, we definitely agree!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Ps- Am I the only person that finds it hard to believe that DL would scrap this engrained, completely complex, hard to follow, hire a bunch of lawyers to help you follow 25% of it, WELL ESTABLISHED BUREAUCRACY... mine field that is the current SM program in favor of a 'now for something completely different' SM program?

Seriously?
lol maybe, if it (seems to) make money, even short-term!

but i can't imagine how the implementation would not be botched.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:24 pm

Seriously?
Are you suggesting that you think of DL management as a rational group?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
do you all remember This Interview?
Look at the last two questions. This has been a long way coming

it can also explain why the award calendar has shown zero improvement over the last X years while the revenue engine has been updated several times. It won't be all that difficult to incorporate a third and fourth column to say, for example, buy this flight for 100k SkyPoints (sm) in Y and 250K SkyPoints (sm) in J

also, mileage upgrades have been promised for online for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing FCM banners with X dollars and/or Y SkyPoints for price points

at that point, i can also see the fare restrictions dropping out - which will be the enhancement brought to you by the new and improved the SkyPoints(sm) program

Last edited by goodandclassy; Mar 19, 2012 at 8:31 pm
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
Yes, miles that never expire was something that hit last year.
Correct, miles that never expire was something that hit last year. However, as long as your SM account was active, you could accumulate an unlimited number of miles. I don't ever see a time when I would have stopped flying altogether so I fully expected that my miles would have not expired anyway. My understanding, is that now with non-expiring miles it applies to the total balance of your account regardless of when they were accrued. So, as long as DL doesn't reneg on this promise, then even when I stop flying actively, I'll be able to enjoy my miles for a long time to come!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well its a good thing they never expire, since it'll take a lifetime of flying to be able to afford a couple tpac J tickets once this goes through.

Anyone familiar with SkyBonus can tell you the redemption levels are insane.. and not only that it is restricted to the super-low fare buckets unless you want to pay a 3x more points for "enhanced availability". If that is the model, then we're in for a whole new world of hurt.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
UA is just about the worst place to go right now

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...le-agents.html
These are just teething issues IMO and should come to pass.

I have been reading about UA's situation but I doubt it will last for a prolonged period of time.

Your suggestion for AA sounds good, it is not a very viable option for one who is based in Asia due to the limited reach of the airline.
__________________________________________________ _____

While I don't have much invested in DL compared to many of you, I have an attachment to the airline in the short time that I've been flying it.

A major devaluation by DL will make me consider if I want to continue flying them or not. DL is the top US legacy carrier imo but if the values don't add up I am gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.