Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by HongKonger
I'd rather the US sold Texas to Mexico and threw in Arizona to sweeten the deal.
After all, in PHX, ELP, I could hear Spanish more than English in some parts of the city.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
After all, in PHX, ELP, I could hear Spanish more than English in some parts of the city.
Same here in New York.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If this is the standard, then lots of California goes too.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
El mismo aqui en Florida del Sur.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA (new!) Silver, AA Hater, Marriott Down to Gold, Hilton grunt
I'd rather the US sold Texas to Mexico and threw in Arizona to sweeten the deal.
ese, thanks for keeping New Mexico in the union. We appreciate that hombre
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
I agree...if you are a DM and using this strategy for domestic tickets, then its a pretty valuable award program.

My issue is that I struggle every year to maintain GM status as most my flights are for pleasure, so I end up having to buy all my domestic tickets to achieve status, then try and use miles for my wife and I to fly BE class to Europe at 100k, or maybe Asia at 120K.
The domestic award upgrades work pretty well for GM and PM too, though only PM can make unlimited free changes/redeposits. If you're goal is GM, you might consider learning some of the spending tricks that help you hit thresholds on credit cards, then get an Amex Plat or Reserve and spend right to a threshold level to earn 1.5 RDM/$ + .5 MQM/$ as a head start. Will give you much more room to redeem miles for some of the domestic trips, if that's what you seek.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by OnTimePlease
My comment had nothing to do with languages. NM is a very nice state. Proud to have you.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mooper
The domestic award upgrades work pretty well for GM and PM too, though only PM can make unlimited free changes/redeposits. If you're goal is GM, you might consider learning some of the spending tricks that help you hit thresholds on credit cards, then get an Amex Plat or Reserve and spend right to a threshold level to earn 1.5 RDM/$ + .5 MQM/$ as a head start. Will give you much more room to redeem miles for some of the domestic trips, if that's what you seek.
It's not .5 MQM per dollar, but rather 10,000 MQM for $25,000 or 20,000 MQM (total) for $50,000 (total) on the DL Plat card and 15,000 MQM for $30,000 or 30,000 MQM (total) for $60,000 (total) on the Reserve card.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA (new!) Silver, AA Hater, Marriott Down to Gold, Hilton grunt
My comment had nothing to do with languages. NM is a very nice state. Proud to have you.
Understood, I was just so thrilled we were not on the list! Then again, hardly anyone knows we are a state! We kind of like it that way
Old Jul 21, 2012, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by OnTimePlease
New Mexico is a part of the United States??? Who knew?

Old Jul 21, 2012, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by amanuensis
The land of Enchantment - a great state. But this train will NOT stop at Tumcumcari
Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's not .5 MQM per dollar, but rather 10,000 MQM for $25,000 or 20,000 MQM (total) for $50,000 (total) on the DL Plat card and 15,000 MQM for $30,000 or 30,000 MQM (total) for $60,000 (total) on the Reserve card.
I was attempting to simplify by presuming you stop at the Reserve thresholds where each $30K spend yields 15K MQMs + 45K RDMs = 1.5 RDMs/$ + .5 MQMs/$ (more the first year only, as you get signup bonus RDMs + MQMs on top).
Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I was attempting to simplify by presuming you stop at the Reserve thresholds where each $30K spend yields 15K MQMs + 45K RDMs = 1.5 RDMs/$ + .5 MQMs/$ (more the first year only, as you get signup bonus RDMs + MQMs on top).
The motto around here is "it's the MQMs" and the RDMs are only DLs way of letting some keep up with their devaluation of SkyMiles into SkyPesos.

Since IMO the "pay with miles" thing is a stalking horse and testing ground for the way that DL really would like the FF plan to operate in the future, we can only hope that there will be ways for the steady customers to operate without too much loss.

I imagine that almost nobody here has used it the way it is presented except maybe in an emergency and it looks like it will be a bear to deal with if that is what they are giving out. Then I guess that it will be time for the business traveler who is treated well enough now to see if anyone else goes where he needs to go and has an FF plan with a bit of upside since "pay with miles," on its own, has none.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by amanuensis

Woah...there is a NEW Mexico?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJzXbqyU8A
Old Jul 22, 2012, 4:51 am

But even if you spend exactly at the thereshold levels, the DL Plat card has a less favorable ratio.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.