Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bubbashow
again, SMI...not all of us see this rumor as "horrible". I, for one, would LOVE to see fare-based MQM. I don't feel "elite" at all when there are 80 people on an upgrade list and zone 1 boarding.
The majority of us here buy sLUT fares (or their equivalents on other carriers)
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:22 pm

Glad I stopped flying Delta when I did a couple of years ago. I left because they continued to make significant unannounced SkyMiles changes, and I just couldn't count on the value that I expected to receive for my flights to be maintained. This sounds like yet another example that may happen.

I already canceled my Amex SkyMiles cards, so I can't really call Amex and state that I'll do so again if Delta changes their program.

Any suggestions on how to monetize a couple 100K of miles still left in my account?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
The majority of us here buy sLUT fares (or their equivalents on other carriers)
Then I will revert back to my original question - why do you deserve the perks?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:25 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I really, really hate Delta now.

Thank goodness I don't have to fly them.

People are crazy if they accept this.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: Delta FO, United Silver, National Executive, HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by HongKonger
If you heard a rumor about it then it isn't true. DL always makes program changes unannounced.
+1

However, one person's 'rumor' could be DL's 'trial balloon'. Leak it, hint about it, have a surrogate talk about it, and then see how it plays in Peoria...

YMMV
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
CX-I have an AMEX
AA-I flew 110k EQM last year, total spend $4,800. This year, 170k+ EQM, total spend $3,100 so far
AC-I flew 37k EQM, total revenue $6k (mainly Canada domestic and a YVR-PEK in S)
A3-I credited a UA YVR-CHI rt to them
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Because, DL's rules (at least so far) say that the good folks earned those perks, irrespective of what little letter is associated with their fare.

Perhaps that will change. Perhaps you will be able to stop associating with the unwashed masses that you find so contemptible. We will see.

Leo Mullen thought he'd slice up the goose and get all the golden eggs at once when he set about to tinker with Sky Miles.

He didn't get the result he anticipated.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
CX-I have an AMEX
AA-I flew 110k EQM last year, total spend $4,800. This year, 170k+ EQM, total spend $3,100 so far
AC-I flew 37k EQM, total revenue $6k (mainly Canada domestic and a YVR-PEK in S)
A3-I credited a UA YVR-CHI rt to them
Shouldn't a person that paid 3 x what you did get more than you? If you say no, please explain why.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Because, DL's rules (at least so far) say that the good folks earned those perks, irrespective of what little letter is associated with their fare.

Perhaps that will change. Perhaps you will be able to stop associating with the unwashed masses that you find so contemptible. We will see.

Leo Mullen thought he'd slice up the goose and get all the golden eggs at once when he set about to tinker with Sky Miles.

He didn't get the result he anticipated.
Apples and Oranges. It isn't just a different ballpark from Mullin's days...it's a different game altogether.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shouldn't a person that paid 3 x what you did get more than you? If you say no, please explain why.
No. It's not that I am flying all of these EQM's non rev and asking for more benefits.
I think that spending this much time in an aluminum tube means that I have shown that I am loyal to the airline, as I have flown with them a lot.
If I bought full fare F on AA JFK-LHR I shouldn't just get EXP automatically after 2 flights.
(2X JFK LHR isn't even 20k EQM)

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Mar 19, 2012 at 5:40 pm
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: CO, BA, UA, AA, PC, HH, MARRIOT, HYATT, MR, STARWOOD
uh...ug...blockbuster...
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:40 pm

I don't a see mass exodus if this happens. Although I do think Delta would probably not drop the hammer before being convinced that a second legacy would follow its lead, at which point rewards outweigh the risks.

As noted earlier:

Delta already has a fare based system....lower fares earn 100%, Y, B, and M fares and F/J class fares earn 150%
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Apples and Oranges. It isn't just a different ballpark from Mullin's days...it's a different game altogether.
We'll see.

You and the WoolmanDeskSitter can just keep hoping.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
We'll see.

You and the WoolmanDeskSitter can just keep hoping.
I'm hoping it doesn't happen because I don't want any of my elite benefits being devalued with the massive exodus of sLUT fare buyers coming to AA.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Not if that person only flies once a year.

Perhaps some of us travel a lot more than you and are in a better position to "game the system". I suspect that as a DL PM and AA nobody, you have to pay a lot more for First than we sLUTs and that colors your opinion. Can't really blame you for supporting a change. I might be less ambivalent if DL actually provided a front cabin experience that was more AA and less the current dismal upgrade class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.