Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:12 pm

For the past weeks, I have spent hours that I will never get back looking for US to Europe award J tickets only to find that all days in April, most gateway cities non-stop to Europe (CDG, LHR, AMS, ZRH, DUS, ....etc.) on DELTA is high level for 350K. NO middle no low. Not one seat.

Then thanks to FT, I called Singapore. The rest is history.

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 5, 2012 at 10:57 am Reason: Removed now-deleted quoted content.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:59 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ksweeney
So where I am absolutely clueless is what will happen with carryover miles. If a cut over to points happens at the start of the program year how will carryover be treated:

a). Carry over miles will be dropped
b). Carry over miles converted to points based on some ratio (hopefully 1 to 1)
c). DL goes back and calculates points based on the customer's previous years flights.
d) Miles remain miles. You have a limited time window (e.g. two years) in which to earn new points and convert them backwards into enough miles to redeem an award. After that window ends your miles vanish.

This convoluted scheme is exactly what Southwest did. It maximizes breakage (expiration of miles unused) and minimizes the carry-over liability of the new program without being grossly unfair. It also provides the benefit of allowing some redemption under the old rules to continue for a limited time.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by nsx
d) Miles remain miles. You have a limited time window (e.g. two years) in which to earn new points and convert them backwards into enough miles to redeem an award. After that window ends your miles vanish.

This convoluted scheme is exactly what Southwest did. It maximizes breakage (expiration of miles unused) and minimizes the carry-over liability of the new program without being grossly unfair. It also provides the benefit of allowing some redemption under the old rules to continue for a limited time.
This is an assumption based on concepts of basic fairness... very dangerous.

Either way, so much for "miles never expire."
Old Apr 3, 2012, 5:08 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by nsx
I'm SURE, this would be a complete disaster for MANY of us!!

Just thinking about it . . . If miles would have - let's say - a 2 year expiration date, I'm sure many of us who are sitting on a ton of miles will choose to (attempt) to use our miles as much as possible, vs paying cash for tickets, thereby knocking down our future Medallion status.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nsx

But SW credits on the old system already had a year until they expired anyway, right? And weren't the old awards also only valid for a year after being issued too? I had something like 3 and a half old awards when 3/1/11 hit, and I remember finding it very easy to use the three full ones and convert enough new points into old credits to get a fourth.

I see DL's no mileage expiration "enhancement" at serious odds with these rumblings...
Old Apr 3, 2012, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by nsx

I think he was referring to MQMs, not RDMs.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by javabytes
I think he was referring to MQMs, not RDMs.
I don't think so. If you didn't use all of your SW/WN credits within the normal time frame, they all expired.

I'm trying to remember - Was it possible to convert old credits to new points? I don't think so.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
I don't think so. If you didn't use all of your SW/WN credits within the normal time frame, they all expired.

I'm trying to remember - Was it possible to convert old credits to new points? I don't think so.
No, you had to convert new points to old credits to top off your account to hit 16 credits and earn one final old r/t. I'm pretty sure they converted at a rate of 1200 = 1 credit, which is basically an equivalent swap (based on old and new partner earning rates).
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA PlatPro, DL PM, UA Silver
War "SkyVision" ... Diamond Executive

RBMA - 3/31/2013

Last edited by LedgeT; Apr 3, 2012 at 7:04 pm
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Deemus7
No, you had to convert new points to old credits to top off your account to hit 16 credits and earn one final old r/t. I'm pretty sure they converted at a rate of 1200 = 1 credit, which is basically an equivalent swap (based on old and new partner earning rates).
That's what I thought, so once you hit the one year mark for the old credits, if you didn't have enough for a complete award, they were just <POOF!!!>
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:37 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Deemus7
But SW credits on the old system already had a year until they expired anyway, right? And weren't the old awards also only valid for a year after being issued too?
You're right. That's a huge difference. Southwest never had an overhang of award liability because all credits expired in 2 years (rolling expiration) if you didn't reach 16 unexpired at any time, because awards were automatically issued, and because the issued awards only had one year of life (revivable for another year for $50).

Southwest's scheme would not be fair for DL because there's no way to redeem all those miles over a limited time period. So the time period would have to be essentially unlimited.

Unless DL wants to maintain the software to support capacity-controlled award redemption forever, the only remaining option is to convert the old miles to new points at some date in the future. DL might also add the option to reverse transfer points into miles to top off a miles award for redemption under the old rules during the transition period only.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by nsx

That would be a large assumption for someone who holds a sizable balance of Skymiles to make. Delta has shown no such recent history of fair play regarding program changes.

I have 750K and conservatively value them at $.015 on my spreadsheet of such things. I'm sure there are lots of people here with more miles and who hold them at a higher value, so we're talking real money.

I can't imagine anyone with a large SM balance not actively trying to reduce it as much as possible as soon as possible.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Given that every year of late the miles are worth less, it does make sense to just use them as they are accumulated to maximize their value. Very few people have a clear idea as to what the future will hold but everybody knows the current rules. Spend your miles now and don't worry about them being worthless in the future--as you won't have any left to worry about.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Given that every year of late the miles are worth less, it does make sense to just use them as they are accumulated to maximize their value. Very few people have a clear idea as to what the future will hold but everybody knows the current rules. Spend your miles now and don't worry about them being worthless in the future--as you won't have any left to worry about.
EXACTLY! A huge part of why I'm not particularly upset is that I never thought miles to be anything other than a depreciating currency.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
To me, this is my biggest worry with these rumored changes. I am currently sitting on almost 400k, which I know pales in comparison to many, but still is a significant chunk when I can only manage one international vacation a year (if that) because of limited time off of work. Mrs. Deemus and I hit the 5 year mark next May and were planning on burning these miles on one last "hurrah" of a trip before kids. I was hoping to FINALLY apply what I've learned on FT for open-jaw, stopovers, partner travel, etc. to visit some fantastic places, maybe MRU, SEZ, and/or JNB.

Now, with these rumors, I am sweating bullets. DL does have an unfortunate track record, so what am I supposed to do? Part of me wants them to just come on and tell us already, whereas the other part is holding out hope that changes won't come until at least July so I can lock in some semblance of flights for our dream trip above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.