Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Delta and downgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Originally Posted by HongKonger
If it was a P or A fare, it is always possible that due to equipment swaps or IROPS that the pax may be downgraded to Y, and no compensation is due.
Even if no comp is "due", I'd figure that a simple phone call to express that one had paid for first class and expected to be seated in first class would help. If three or four agents give the same answer, a Tweet to @DeltaAssist should result in rebooking onto a CR7/CR9 or some other flight with F. Even with FCM in play, DL is still giving 70% or so of their F seats away as of the last time they talked about it. I can't imagine they'd want someone who's paid F to express that they'll be taking their business to UA in the future, as UA makes an effort to keep them in paid F or compensates them for being removed from it.

OP, it'd be helpful to know the city pair involved. If DL has downgraded all service on that route to one-class RJs, you may be out of luck.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If there is no FC service at all on a city pair, there shouldn't be F, P, or A fares offered for sale.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If there is no FC service at all on a city pair, there shouldn't be F, P, or A fares offered for sale.
Two exceptions:

1. It's one leg of a connecting flight (as is the case here). I've seen DEN-HUB-XXX itineraries generated on DL.com many times where HUB-XXX is on a CR2 or ERJ, but because DEN-HUB is mainline (or, at least, CR7/9), A and P fares are available.

2. The fare for a direct flight is purchased on (for example) June 1 for a flight on July 1, and on June 15, the metal is changed from a CR9 to a CR2, or something of that nature. In that case, you'd potentially have an easier time getting a TCV for the difference between your paid F ticket and the lowest economy fare class available, perhaps minus the $150 change fee.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1. In this case, there would perhaps be a through fare DEN-HUB-XXX in fare classes A, P, and F, but there should not be a separate A, P, or F fare for just the HUB-XXX trip in your example.

2. This seems to be the OP's case: A, P, or F was purchased when FC was offered on the route. In your example, there shouldn't be A, P, or F offered for sale after June 15 for a HUB-XXX ticket, but there may continue to be DEN-HUB-XXX through fare codes in fare classes A, P, or F.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:31 am

I think we need some insight from the OP here, as I read this as a hybrid of both situations (so, I guess, situation 3?) where the metal was downgauged on the HUB-XXX portion of the flight after purchase, but ORG-HUB still has 2-class service available.

Either way, if there's another 2-class flight on HUB-XXX, DL should be willing to put the OP on it. If there isn't one available, then the OP may well be out of luck, as they're still getting F on half of the itinerary, meaning that even if DL were to rebook them, it's unlikely the rebooked fare would exceed the $150 change fee.

And if it is actually a direct flight with no connections, then I'd hope DL would be willing to rebook the OP into the least-expensive coach fare available, and I'd fight to have the $150 change fee dropped as well in this instance. More likely than not, it would remain in effect, but some miles might be thrown around as a result.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
Even if no comp is "due", I'd figure that a simple phone call to express that one had paid for first class and expected to be seated in first class would help. If three or four agents give the same answer, a Tweet to @DeltaAssist should result in rebooking onto a CR7/CR9 or some other flight with F. Even with FCM in play, DL is still giving 70% or so of their F seats away as of the last time they talked about it. I can't imagine they'd want someone who's paid F to express that they'll be taking their business to UA in the future, as UA makes an effort to keep them in paid F or compensates them for being removed from it.

OP, it'd be helpful to know the city pair involved. If DL has downgraded all service on that route to one-class RJs, you may be out of luck.
I certainly agree that they SHOULD make every effort to keep the pax in F and offer reasonable alternate routings so the pax can decide whether to remain in F or keep his original routing. I also agree that tweeting or phone roulette with an elite line is likelier to help than other methods.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Sorry for the delay in responding. Routing is BDL-DTW-PIT. DTW-PIT was the portion apparently changed from a CR9 to ERJ 135 etc. Options seem to be spread about 4 hours a part, so leaving 4 hours earlier or having a 4 hour layover in DTW would be the only options to stay in F. Neither is great for a pretty tight schedule.

I realize these are not long segments. But I haven't dealt with Delta much lately, so I was trying to understand what options might be available for the asking before I called.

The discussion above has been helpful. I assumed since no one commented on it that the concept of a downgrade certificate is not a current one with DL. Cheers.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:25 pm

Are there any routings that do not connect in DTW? CVG? would ATL or MEM be legal? MSP? LGA should work, but it might also involve flights without FC.

You should see if you can find flights with FC that work for you and then call DL. As a DM, I'd be pretty confident that they would let me switch for free, especially if the flights had more than one FC seat still available, but without status you're generally not working with elite agents, so the reaction to this request might be very different.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:01 pm

Are there any routings that do not connect in DTW? CVG? would ATL or MEM be legal? MSP? LGA should work, but it might also involve flights without FC.

You should see if you can find flights with FC that work for you and then call DL. As a DM, I'd be pretty confident that they would let me switch for free, especially if the flights had more than one FC seat still available, but without status you're generally not working with elite agents, so the reaction to this request might be very different.
ATL might be a possible F alternative, but I have had some pretty bad luck in ATL and avoid it where possible. I might see if DL will let me cancel and just rebook the US non-stop ERJ (which was my second choice to begin with, but it was a little more expensive than what I originally booked with DL in F, so I was willing to take the connection for F).
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:10 am

but without status you're generally not working with elite agents, so the reaction to this request might be very different.
Which brings us back to rule #1 of DL: if you don't like the answer, hang up and try again. Eventually, mommy will say yes where daddy said no.

Originally Posted by TRRed
ATL might be a possible F alternative, but I have had some pretty bad luck in ATL and avoid it where possible. I might see if DL will let me cancel and just rebook the US non-stop ERJ (which was my second choice to begin with, but it was a little more expensive than what I originally booked with DL in F, so I was willing to take the connection for F).
DL will probably not let you cancel without eating the $150 change fee, and even then, they'd only issue you a TCV for the difference--not cash. It never hurts to ask a few times, but odds are you're going to have to ask for rebooking to stay in F: maybe, maybe they'll rebook you into the lowest coach fare available on that leg (giving you a split P/? fare) and presumably save you some money on that end, if the difference is more than the change fee. They might toss a few miles or a $50 TCV at you for the inconvenience of losing F on your original itinerary.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:58 am

I finally got around to calling and asking. First agent told me I could cancel without penalty due to the downgrade, but he would have to transfer me to another desk. First agent on that desk said she did not think I could cancel, talked to her supervisor, then transferred me to the supervisor. Supervisor offer $200 voucher if I stayed with plan and did not get in F on the second leg, which I accepted. I suspect if I had pushed, she would have allowed me to cancel also. Though (seems unlikely) maybe she had some info suggesting that another equipment change was possible. I think the result was worth a 20 min call.

Thanks to those who responded.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
I'm no airline apologist by any stretch of the imagination but the fact is that you don't expect them to 'increase' the amount you have to pay if the fare goes up, so why expect them to give you a free 'decrease' in the amount you have to pay when the fare goes down.

I think the suggestions many have made to simply pay the $150 change fee and get your less expensive fare is probably the most fair way to go about this for yourself and the airline.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdadept
I'm no airline apologist by any stretch of the imagination but the fact is that you don't expect them to 'increase' the amount you have to pay if the fare goes up, so why expect them to give you a free 'decrease' in the amount you have to pay when the fare goes down.

I think the suggestions many have made to simply pay the $150 change fee and get your less expensive fare is probably the most fair way to go about this for yourself and the airline.
Did you even read the thread? Your post is completely unrelated to the subject of the thread.

The first rule of FT is attack the OP, but you don't even know what OP was saying.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Did you even read the thread? Your post is completely unrelated to the subject of the thread.

The first rule of FT is attack the OP, but you don't even know what OP was saying.
The OP's thread was certainly confusing, and others thought that his issue was that he could not get a free change to the cheaper fare.

There was only one post (well down into the thread), that made it clear that this (the OP's issue) was all just a big communication problem.

The exact issue of free changes to cheaper fares was discussed in this thread. It is certainly reasonable for sdadept to comment on it.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by exwannabe
The OP's thread was certainly confusing, and others thought that his issue was that he could not get a free change to the cheaper fare.

There was only one post (well down into the thread), that made it clear that this (the OP's issue) was all just a big communication problem.

The exact issue of free changes to cheaper fares was discussed in this thread. It is certainly reasonable for sdadept to comment on it.
If he read the thread, the confusion was cleared up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.