Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Trip Extras: Your Choice of Priority Boarding, Mileage Booster, 24 Hour Wi-Fi Pass

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Extras: Your Choice of Priority Boarding, Mileage Booster, 24 Hour Wi-Fi Pass

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by skymilesinsider
Our boarding order is:
  • Preboarding – for customers needing extra time or assistance
  • First, BusinessElite, Business class
  • Sky Priority (it is now the name of a zone) - Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallions, SkyTeam Elite Plus and Alaska MVP Gold
  • Zone 1 - Silver Medallion, SkyTeam Elite and Alaska MVP, Economy Comfort customers, eligible American Express cardholders, customers seated in exit rows and bulkheads, customers who purchase Priority Boarding.
  • Zone 2 – First group of Coach customers
  • Zone 3 – Remaining Coach customers
Since corporately you've now decided that silver medallion is equivalent to zero benefits since you can now buy the same level of priority boarding and/or AmEx medallion status. How about instilling some value back into the SM program and moving silvers into Sky Priority for all these regular flyers who seem to bounce back and forth between silver and gold but actually do earn their status via BIS miles. It's a travesty to see what's happening to the folks at the bottom of the elite status levels. Why, as a DM, do I care, you ask? Because we were all once silver medallions and there should be value separate from that you can purchase by having actual earned elite status on an airline!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Don't worry, this won't last long. There will soon be a payment system that allows you to buy up to super-secret-double-probation levels of boarding.

The new boarding order will be:
  • Carport
  • Cashew
  • Rake
  • Purple
  • Soldiers on active duty
  • Soldiers not on active duty
  • Daughters of the American Revolution
  • Preboarding
  • First, Biz, Biz Elite
  • Sky
  • Zone 1

Mike
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: DL DM
With any change, we understand that there will be a mix of reactions and we listen to all of them to help us continually improve our service, so post away.

Mix of reactions?

This sucks for everyone but Delta.

What mix of reactions?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: DL PM
DELETED

Last edited by rmalamud; Mar 13, 2012 at 11:38 am Reason: wrong forum
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott, Hilton Gold
As you have already started noticing, we introduced a new suite of pre-trip purchase options on delta.com today called Trip Extras which include ways to add miles to your account, a Delta 24 Hour Wi-Fi Pass and Priority Boarding. There’s more information on our blog but we also wanted to clarify some things about the Priority Boarding option.

First, we want to let you know that it is only for single person pnr’s leaving Jacksonville, Las Vegas, Orlando, Phoenix, San Diego and Tampa at the moment. We haven’t rolled it out to additional cities because we want to see how things go in these markets first, but we plan to extend the option to other markets later in the year. We know that there are some routes where this may be an issue, so we are looking at the data closely to see what makes sense.

Second, we want to be very clear that BusinessElite, First Class and Sky Priority eligible customers will still board before Priority Boarding.

And while we are on the topic of boarding – we’ve been reading that you noticed a few other tweaks. Our zone numbers have changed as well, but the structure and order in which we board the aircraft is the same and it’s a process that we will continue.

Our boarding order is:
  • Preboarding – for customers needing extra time or assistance
  • First, BusinessElite, Business class
  • Sky Priority (it is now the name of a zone) - Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallions, SkyTeam Elite Plus and Alaska MVP Gold
  • Zone 1 - Silver Medallion, SkyTeam Elite and Alaska MVP, Economy Comfort customers, eligible American Express cardholders, customers seated in exit rows and bulkheads, customers who purchase Priority Boarding.
  • Zone 2 – First group of Coach customers
  • Zone 3 – Remaining Coach customers
What happened to zone 4? Nothing, it’s still there in concept but from a semantics perspective it is now labeled zone 3. Sky Priority used to be Zone 1, remember?

We’re here reading your comments and making sure your feedback gets directed to the right teams. With any change, we understand that there will be a mix of reactions and we listen to all of them to help us continually improve our service, so post away.
Thanks Delta! As a FO, I have virtually nothing left now and thus no reason to continue connecting through ATL or MEM from BHM to go anywhere on your airline. A few months back, you took away the extra baggage allowance that made FO have some value. You've now taken away some semblance of priority boarding which I can now buy at the same level as my earned status. Free bag? I get that anyway with my American Express card. The only thing left is the opportunity to book a "premium seat." Wow, that's truly ELITE! I guess it's back to flying whoever is cheapest, UA, AA or WN depending on where I need to get to. You've suitably nickled and dimed us until you've taken all the value out of the Sky Miles program for those of us with low level elite status, I hope you're happy. This FO will vote with his feet!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
There are two very big problems with this....

If DL were being honest, they would be very clear about the fact that Zone 1 may wind up boarding after more than half the plane. If I were someone who purchased Zone 1 boarding for a Thursday DFW-ATL flight, or a Monday morning TPA-ATL or ATL-RDU I wouldn't be happy to discover more than half the plane boarding before the priority boarding for which I paid $$$. Hopefully these people will realize there is likely an issue with an offer that repeatedly reminds one that it's non-refundable.

Second, if this morning's DL#110 is any indication, everyone in Zone 1 and Sky crowds around the boarding area, thinking they are early boarders. I'm used to gate lice. I usually enjoy rolling my bag over their toes. This morning was the worst I've seen, save LGA the day before T-giving when several flights were delayed. People wouldn't get out of the way when i tried to board with PREM. Several people showed me their BPs and said some version of "I'm in Zone 1." Nobody realizes Zone 1 is the fifteenth or so group to board. And you cannot blame them, as it's DL that seems to be trying to recreate the system of numeration.

The GAs need to clear the gate area before boarding and very clearly let those in Zone 1 know that half the plane will be boarding prior to Zone 1, so there is no need to stand three inches from the start of the roped area.

Last edited by CJKatl; Mar 13, 2012 at 11:48 am
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CJKatl
There are two very big problems with this....

If DL were being honest, they would be very clear about the fact that Zone 1 may wind up boarding after more than half the plane. If I were someone who purchased Zone 1 boarding for a Thursday DFW-ATL flight, or a Monday morning TPA-ATL or ATL-RDU I wouldn't be happy to discover more than half the plane boarding before the priority boarding for which I paid $$$. Hopefully these people will realize there is likely an issue with an offer that repeatedly reminds one that it's non-refundable.
What if everyone buys one?

GM is the new FO. If I ever drop under 50K, I'm leaving Delta.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by amolkold
The best 1:40 of my day. I have no idea what that show is but I'm now hooked.

Mike
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Originally Posted by mikeef
The best 1:40 of my day. I have no idea what that show is but I'm now hooked.

Mike
^ Me too. Excellent find amolkold
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: DL GM, Hyatt
It will be interesting to follow the dynamics here.

It is likely a win for Delta Air Lines, Inc==> Increased revenue, especially from non-elite flyers. However, some low-level elites may choose to fly another airline--this is the critical calculation for the MBA-types in Atlanta.

It is likely a loss for AMEX ==> many benefits of the card are now for sale, so the value proposition of the card has changed. Will less people, especially low-level elites, not renew? AMEX may have to re-offer the companion tix.

It is likely a win for BIS elites, especially at the PM and GM levels ==> Why? Fewer low level elites around from AMEX medallions (like me!), may make upgrades more obtainable. However, they may find fewer preferred seats available at last minute bookings.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
The new boarding levels were just introduced in the last week or so. Zone 1 has been replaced by the "SKY" zone level and zones 2,3,4 have been shifted up. First Class is now a formal "PREM" boarding zone level.
FC and BE have been PREM for a while now, at least several months. SKY is the new one that started at the end of last week.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PP, AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Hertz PC
Last Benefit of Silver Medallion for a Law Student Going away?

As a law student who goes to school on one side of the country and has family on the other, paying a little extra for DL over SW used to make some sense. I used the gold AMEX my first year to get a free bag and got Silver Medallion pretty quick because each flight is about 5500mi round trip and afterward I could directly compare dollar for dollar the DL and SW fares.

Usually the DL fare was a little lower and even when it was a little higher, I knew that at least I wouldn't have to do the seat-race down the aisle and the SkyMiles were reasonably valuable since I could pretty reliably get a free flight each year between my flying and credit card use.

I don't know how this will end up working in practice but if this means I'm no longer boarding in at least the first third of the plane, then there won't be any reason to fly DL instead of Southwest even WITH Silver Medallion AND a DL AMEX. I'll get the same number of bags (though with Delta I'll need to add some fraction of the $95/year AMEX fee to figure a real bag cost), I'll get the same boarding priority and roughly the same seat quality as a DL Silver as I would by checking in at the right time on SW to get A boarding, so the only remaining difference will be price and schedule.

In other words, if lots of people use this (and I fly out of one of the affected airports a lot when returning to school) then a "loyalty reward" won't actually be creating any loyalty, just giving DL a chance to compete with Southwest. My guess is that if this was rolled out nationwide I'll see most of my travel move to US Airways and Southwest just based on price.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
Originally Posted by flying_kicks
I noticed this for the first time on my domestic itinerary yesterday. Strikes me as odd to find yet another way/place to add this and \duplicate something that seemingly already exists.

flying_kicks
It's just a more in-your-face way to upsell.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 1:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Our boarding order is:[LIST][*]Preboarding – for customers needing extra time or assistance
In all honestly, this is the one that I wish would go away.

As soon as the GA starts the (lengthy) PA announcement about boarding those who need extra time and assistance, the gate lice start to inch toward the boarding door.

What should happen is the GA should visually scan the crowd in the gate area, and then quietly and discreetly go ahead and board those who appear to need extra time without making any announcement. The announcement does nothing other than fan the flames of anticipation and anxiety for many of those in the gate area.

If those who do need assistance were boarded quietly without the announcement, it would mean the first announcement anyone hears is: "We are now boarding First Class. All First Class passengers may board now. Everyone else, remain away from the gate for the moment until I call your zone."
Old Mar 13, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
What should happen is the GA should visually scan the crowd in the gate area, and then quietly and discreetly go ahead and board those who appear to need extra time without making any announcement.
Since you cannot tell everyone who needs assistance just by a visual scan, why not use a Southwest protocol and issue pre-boarding cards at check-in. (gasp! I like some of their practices)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.